Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

eddy4iu

Early 2022-2023 Top 25

I did the Big Ten a month ago. I'll try and do a nice guess at the National Top 25. 

I think my early "Final Four Teams" in order are UNC, Gonzaga, UK, and Houston. UNC has to be the preseason favorite with Bacot, Love, Davis, Black, and Co. coming back. Add in Nance the transfer as well. Gonzaga benefited the most from the NBA deadline. Timmie and a few starters back. Have to think UK will make some noise with Oscar being back. Houston's backcourt will be solid and have some motivation hosting the Final 4. 

The next group of teams are Duke, UCLA, Creighton, Texas, Arkansas, and Baylor. If Duke's freshman are as good as advertised they have a shot at going back to the Final Four. Really like Texas and Baylor's roster...For Texas the question is can they come together. Baylor's backcourt will be fun. Two 13 point a game scorers and a top ten freshman. UCLA will have another team that can make a run. Creighton will be good..just can't see McDermott taking them very far. Sweet 16 at best. Arkansas would be a top 3 team if Jaylin Williams had returned. Nick Smith might be the best freshman in the class. Come January Muss will have the Razorbacks rolling. 

I'd probably put IU in the #11-14 range. Would bet that's where they'll be to start in the AP Poll. I'll group them with Tennessee, Auburn, and Kansas. I'm not high on Kansas at all (on their standards/where the national guys are putting them). Jalen Wilson has to take a big step. They are also relying on their freshman to contribute. Freshman don't really contribute at Kansas..

B1G wise I'll say Illinois is the only other team to start the season ranked. Probably 21-25 range. Saw Rob Dauster from the Field of 68 (IF you are a huge college hoops junkie you have to listen to them) pick them to the Final Four as a sleeper team..wouldn't go that far. Michigan State, Ohio State, and Michigan IMO are in that 26-30 range.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know everyone is really high on UNC and that is understandable but they were a 9 seed going into the tournament.  They were just average throughout the season and got hot for 3 weeks.

I think they showed improvement throughout the season. All of their top 6-7 guys took nice steps as the year went along.

But more than anything, they're bringing back 4 of 5 starters. And the starter that left, is getting replaced by a likely upgrade (Nance) via the portal. Sure the peaked at the right time, but it's just really hard not to give them nod. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know everyone is really high on UNC and that is understandable but they were a 9 seed going into the tournament.  They were just average throughout the season and got hot for 3 weeks.

Not quite on their level but kind of the same thing with IU...without a second half comeback against Michigan they are an NIT team. I highly doubt they're ranked as high as they are in some polls if that was the case. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

UNC is ranked high for the same reason we are.  Bringing back talent is incredibly beneficial in college.  Even more so now that the transfer portal is a thing.  

But it is all predicated that their guys develop and mesh with their one new starter.  

Yes, and while we have TJD, Race and X (who improved his play significantly) back, we’re banking on jumps from Bates and JG to go with early contributions from our strong incoming frosh. That said the returning depth of key vets is so key. Now the real question is can the team improve its shooting so we’re not so one dimensional and we spread the floor - just as key for a deep run

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This is true, but it's also true for IU. The reason so many are optimistic about IU's upcoming season is that they seemed to put it all together the last few weeks of the year and then return a lot. UNC did an even better job of putting it together than IU did as they had the much better tournament run.

The question for both teams is whether they are able to build on that momentum or if they revert back to the teams they were for most of last season. Or they might show some improvement but not as large as expected, similar to UCLA last season. UCLA had huge expectations entering the season after a great 2021 tournament run even though the season before was mediocre. They were improved but not close to the '21-'22 preseason predictions.