Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

eddy4iu

Early 2022-2023 Top 25

12 hours ago, ray said:

If you like Bates and JHS rotating in at the G Spot, then who do you like hitting the other four pleasure zones? Just curious…

Well, I think our G spot has been incredibly neglected for years. 

I have to believe that two 5 star young studs can help hit those erogenous zones more than last season, or the Archie years.

On the other pleasure zones, not sure, but I do expect a decent step forward from Geronimo. Things seemed to start clicking more him last season. He'll certainly be asked to do more this year IMO. His shooting % (3rd highest on the team), rebounding (3rd highest) and energy were all apparent despite being only 9th in minutes. If he polishes up and emerges, things could be very good for us. 

Also hoping for continued development for Galloway (love his energy) and Leal. I'm cautious on my outlook for Leal, but hope he can become a reliable shooter coming off the bench. 

Trying to not get overly optimistic for this season, but it's getting harder and harder lol...

TJD coming back, buzz about being the favorite in the B10, nice preseason rank.... and per 247, the two best incoming frosh in the B10.

Who are all those folks concerned about Woody's ability to recruit....

It's a trip that the top 3 are all from the same HS... 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/top-25-class-of-2022-incoming-basketball-players-in-the-big-ten

22 hours ago, ray said:

If you like Bates and JHS rotating in at the G Spot, then who do you like hitting the other four pleasure zones? Just curious…

And the question all season will be if either of them can even find it! 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That can’t be right on Arizona. Matherin, Terry and Koloko were all 25+ mins guys and I don’t think any of them were hurt.

What do you guys think are the keys to IU living up to the pre-season rankings / expectations?

- growth/increased production of JG, Bates and/Galloway- more outside shooting 

- JHS’s immediate impact as point/combo guard

- TJD taking another step up with mid-range / outside shooting

- crazy depth up front with TJD, Race, JG and Ren?

- other?

I think how good we can be is going to largely depend on one or more of JG, Bates and Galloway having that real jump up in their games / contributions  (i agree with Goodman … ewww)

21 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

What do you guys think are the keys to IU living up to the pre-season rankings / expectations?

- growth/increased production of JG, Bates and/Galloway- more outside shooting 

- JHS’s immediate impact as point/combo guard

- TJD taking another step up with mid-range / outside shooting

- crazy depth up front with TJD, Race, JG and Ren?

- other?

I think how good we can be is going to largely depend on one or more of JG, Bates and Galloway having that real jump up in their games / contributions  (i agree with Goodman … ewww)

First and foremost, it's improved outside shooting for almost everyone on the team. 

That said, I'm reluctant to see TJD attempt to expand his game by taking more jumpers.  While it may be a benefit to his pro career, for IU's season,  it has the makings of an experiment gone bad.  

I think players accepting roles will be another key.  Potential for a numbers crunch and it will be critical that guys that get squeezed look long term.

Improvement from Coach Woodson on his substitution patterns.  No hockey line changes.  Have 2 starters on floor at all times.

Limit turnovers.  We will hold an edge in most games if we are equal to our opponent in taking care of the ball.  Give them 5 extra possessions a game and anything can happen.

A lot of years a lot of IU fans complain that the preseason perditions are to low. A lot of us think they will do better. This is the first year I think they may have us over rated. The good news they are usually right and I have there expectations over cooked. To me this team was probably around 50th best team in the country at the end of last year. There biggest problem was they did not shot the ball very well. Now your telling me because there a year older they are going to shoot the ball better ?  I do believe this team is going to be better and the Big is not going to be as good. As last year . So yes we should get more wins. But for me to me this teams new players are going to have to help improve the outside shooting for us to be a top 20 team.

2 hours ago, Crazy about IU said:

A lot of years a lot of IU fans complain that the preseason perditions are to low. A lot of us think they will do better. This is the first year I think they may have us over rated. The good news they are usually right and I have there expectations over cooked. To me this team was probably around 50th best team in the country at the end of last year. There biggest problem was they did not shot the ball very well. Now your telling me because there a year older they are going to shoot the ball better ?  I do believe this team is going to be better and the Big is not going to be as good. As last year . So yes we should get more wins. But for me to me this teams new players are going to have to help improve the outside shooting for us to be a top 20 team.

I think we are underrated, IMO, but I really understand why we are, for the exact reason you described and the fact that we haven’t proven ourselves.  I think our shooting we be improved and our offense will be improved because CMW will place a little more emphasis on it now that they have had a full year of his defensive scheme under their belts!

I think we have a really high ceiling next season. I also think we could have a rough start because of the new guys we are integrating. It will take a while to get them acclimated to the college game. I believe will be better in the long run by working through their growing pains instead of just going with the veterans. Should be fun to watch it play out.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

First and foremost, it's improved outside shooting for almost everyone on the team. 

That said, I'm reluctant to see TJD attempt to expand his game by taking more jumpers.  While it may be a benefit to his pro career, for IU's season,  it has the makings of an experiment gone bad.  

I think players accepting roles will be another key.  Potential for a numbers crunch and it will be critical that guys that get squeezed look long term.

Improvement from Coach Woodson on his substitution patterns.  No hockey line changes.  Have 2 starters on floor at all times.

Limit turnovers.  We will hold an edge in most games if we are equal to our opponent in taking care of the ball.  Give them 5 extra possessions a game and anything can happen.

I agree with all this, but especially about TJD. Not sure how him scoring from 8-10ft is better for the team than scoring from 0-6ft? I don't think TJD's game needs much tweaking, he has carried this team for 3 freaking yrs, it's everyone else that needs to step up. 

18 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

TJD extending his range is good for the team because helps to open up the lane. This helps players like Galloway and Johnson who like to drive to the basket. It also makes TJD himself harder to guard which is good for the team. 

It hurts the team if TJD shoots 48% from the field instead of 60% from the field.  Those other guys can still drive the lane with a properly executed high ball screen.  

Edited by 5fouls

16 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

TJD extending his range is good for the team because helps to open up the lane. This helps players like Galloway and Johnson who like to drive to the basket. It also makes TJD himself harder to guard which is good for the team. 

Exactly.  having TJD shooting from further out allows other guys to cut to the basket with TJD drawing his man out then having to react on the fly hopefully putting their players in foul trouble 

Just now, 5fouls said:

It hurts the team if TJD shoots 48% from the field instead of 60% from the field.  Those other guys can drive the lane with a properly executed high ball screen.  

I would imagine if he’s not able to hit more reliably then we will stop having hm take them.  But it all depends on what the shots are. If he’s shooting 48% from the field and some are 3 that can be pretty good trade off 

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Exactly— it’s absolutely better for the team it pulls the defenders out, opens lanes, spreads the Floor

IU has the most experience returning in all offensive categories percentage wise, and it isn’t even close!  We should be picked to win the B10!

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Big-Ten-basketball-Ranking-teams-in-terms-of-returning-production-ahead-of-2022-23-season-188476361/#188476361_1

Haven't been on here since mid-May as it's been a busy month with buying a home/selling ours and vacation. Inside the Hall had a really good article on the Big 10 next season. For fun I'm going to take a stab at predictions:

1) Indiana- Yes, I'm a homer. But on paper (Doesn't mean anything once the season starts in November) it's not even close. IU should be the unanimous pick to win the B1G. Trayce will battle Dickinson for POY. Entirely possible that X could be the best PG in the B1G (who else?). Race could be an All-Big pick. Good freshman class and solid glue guys. Shooting is a big concern. 

2) Illinois- Don't see them as a huge threat but Shannon and Mayer were nice pick ups. Skyy Clark is my early pick for FOY simply because he is going to do more than Jalen and Malik. They will be a young team for the most part. 

3) Michigan State- Solid core of Walker/Hoggard in the backcourt and Hall/Hauser in the frontcourt. Some decent freshmen coming in. Feel like they need someone to make a jump and be an All-B1G caliber player. 

4) Ohio State- I really like this team. Good mix of transfers and freshman. They have the highest ceiling outside of IU IMO. I think Holden could be 1st team All-B1G good. We wanted McNeil. How much do they get from their returning guys is the key. 

5) Michigan- Diabate and Houstan leaving was the best news IU fans have had this offseason outside of TJD returning and Malik. Dickinson may be the B1G POY over Trayce since he does not have as good of a surrounding cast. They have to rely on their incoming freshmen and some of their sophomores. Another transfer running their point. 

6) Rutgers- Sucks Harper didn't come back for them. Would probably be #2. Solid trio in McConnell, Omoruyi, and Mulcahy. Transfer guard coming in will start. Question is who picks up the slack on offense. 

7) Wisconsin- Sorry, I refuse to believe they fall off. Don't see them as a top 25 or even close to it. But they have solid returners in Hepburn, Wahl, and Crowl. A couple of transfer guards coming in too. It's Wisconsin. I just believe in the system. They probably somehow beat IU too. In Madison. On a BS call. 

8) Maryland- Kevin Willard isn't the greatest coach but he had Seton Hall in the tournament and turned their program around. Solid Transfer in Young. Add in a couple of their returning guys (Scott especially) and they might surprise people. 

9) Iowa- They lost a lot with Murray and Bohannon. They didn't make up for it in the portal or the recruiting trail. They will be solid but nothing special like last year. 

10 Purdue- Bozich had them at #4 in his poll. What's to like about this team?? Frontcourt will be solid with Edey, Gillis, Furst, and Kaufman-Renn. Their backcourt? Morton (rotational player), Newman (fell out of the rotation last year), Loyer (Top 100 recruit), and Smith (3 star). Unless they add someone in the portal this is not an NCAA Tournament team unless a couple of those guards improve over the summer. I don't get the love with this team as it stands.  

11) Minnesota- The duo of Battle and Garcia will be interesting. Not sure they have enough pieces to be much higher. 

12) Penn State- Really like the coach. Have a lot of seniors. Like Minny not sure they have enough to pass some teams. 

13) Northwestern- Had Nance returned this would've been an interesting team. Boo Buie is the best name in the B1G. 

14) Nebraska- A complete dumpster fire. 

Postseason wise IU is the only team I think could make it to the Sweet 16. Illinois, Michigan State, and Ohio State I think are top 25 teams. Michigan and Rutgers are NCAAT teams. Wisconsin probably gets in because they are Wisconsin. Maryland is borderline. Don't trust Iowa or Purdue this year. Woody is my COY. Dickinson for POY. Clark FOY. Think Trayce is an All-American. Race and X All-Big guys as well. 

A big reason I'm high on IU in the B1G is this: They are the only team in the B1G that will be better. Even my 2-4 teams aren't better than they were last year. I'm not sold they are a National title contender. I think Sweet 16 and if things go right or a key player develops maybe Final 4.