Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

eddy4iu

Early 2022-2023 Top 25

10 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Mike Davis should have been the interim coach that first year then they should of hired a more experienced and better coach, instead here we are!

Yep. He can’t really go unmentioned either. Left a shaky roster. Sampson tried to plug holes then got canned. Crean decided to go scorched earth. Archie left with another shaky roster and not talented enough to dig out of it.  

My point in supporting someone like Woodson early was because he has legit coaching credentials and he could restabilize the program back to respectability for the next guy.  If he proves to be more than that, we’ll all be kicking ourselves we didn’t go this route 15 yrs earlier as Stuhoo says. 

Anyways, nice to be in preseason top 25 conversations again. Baby steps…

11 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

This comes down to one thing, Miles Brand’s agenda to make a name for himself.  He didn’t care about the fallout, the university or the basketball program.  He wasn’t about to give RMK any rope or leeway, he put the zero tolerance on him knowing he would mess up.  Also, the biggest conspiracy theory in this was RMK was totally setup & provoked with that student.  If that was the truth, Miles Brand was probably the one who set it up!  

Mike Davis should have been the interim coach that first year then they should of hired a more experienced and better coach, instead here we are!

Yeah, the way RMK was there was absolutely no chance he got through "zero tolerance"; that was just setting him up to fail.

9 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Yeah, the way RMK was there was absolutely no chance he got through "zero tolerance"; that was just setting him up to fail.

Exactly!  You can’t put a “zero tolerance” on him when he’s gotten away with so much crap over the years.  Counseling, anger management classes, frequent accountability meetings, etc. should have been implemented.  You have to give someone like that the tools to change and time.

49 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Exactly!  You can’t put a “zero tolerance” on him when he’s gotten away with so much crap over the years.  Counseling, anger management classes, frequent accountability meetings, etc. should have been implemented.  You have to give someone like that the tools to change and time.

Or fire him to begin with, that's the other alternative.  With zero tolerance you know he's going to do something to get fired, just a matter of when.

4 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Or fire him to begin with, that's the other alternative.  With zero tolerance you know he's going to do something to get fired, just a matter of when.

Right. Zero tolerance was just stupid, it was clearly a fail in waiting, but RMK was not going to change, he wasn't going to even agree to anger management classes, and at that point in his career, he was who he was. Loved RMK for many years, and one of the greatest college coaches of all time, but he was out of control at the end.

5 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Counseling, anger management classes, frequent accountability meetings, etc. should have been implemented.  You have to give someone like that the tools to change and time.

Yeah, that sort of stuff wasn't going to fly. He had plenty of opportunity and time over the years to change. It just wasn't going to happen. That's on him.

42 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Right. Zero tolerance was just stupid, it was clearly a fail in waiting, but RMK was not going to change, he wasn't going to even agree to anger management classes, and at that point in his career, he was who he was. Loved RMK for many years, and one of the greatest college coaches of all time, but he was out of control at the end.

Can you imagine the poor soul who would try to be his anger management coach? (or what ever you call them). 20 minutes he'd be under the desk in the fetal position.  :)

12 hours ago, str8baller said:

Yep. He can’t really go unmentioned either. Left a shaky roster. Sampson tried to plug holes then got canned. Crean decided to go scorched earth. Archie left with another shaky roster and not talented enough to dig out of it.  

My point in supporting someone like Woodson early was because he has legit coaching credentials and he could restabilize the program back to respectability for the next guy.  If he proves to be more than that, we’ll all be kicking ourselves we didn’t go this route 15 yrs earlier as Stuhoo says. 

Anyways, nice to be in preseason top 25 conversations again. Baby steps…

Woodson can and will get the program back to respectable program!  I think we are further ahead than what most people thought we would be

12 hours ago, T White said:

Knight had already used enough rope to circle the globe many times over.

Only because the previous administration allowed it!  There should have been a process!

I think #14 is a little high unless we find some consistent outside shooting. 

25 years ago?  Assuming Trayce stayed, this would be a Top 5 team. 

Today?  Without better outside shooting, we're likely Top 25.  But, not Top 15.   

On 5/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, Stuhoo said:

The problem was simple;

For a variety of reasons;

1. bad culture/good coach,
  2. motivated but weird coach,
  3. program too big for the expertise coach,

We hired the wrong guy over and over.

The solution? WE SHOULD HAVE HIRED MIKE WOODSON 15 YEARS AGO.

He might have said yes if we'd pursued hard enough.

Did his name come up??  I don't remember.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think we have a legit possibility of better outside shooting from guys on the team. Bates was a frosh, he’s a good shooter and think he’ll show it as a soph. JG has a good outside stroke, would bet on improvement over his 31 percent with more looks. Race grew his shooting towards the end of season.i’m not sure TG will develop a consistent outside shot but if he puts the hand-wrist injuries behind him it should be better. And if we’re running JHS - X (who shot pretty well despite his form) as the backcourt we could finally see some actual inside-out with spacing that will open up the outside game. Hell wr just need to shoot more, not be so dependent on the inside game and raise the volume of our outside shooting and that itself would improve our outside game. All that is to say i see reasons to be optimistic about a better outside game with who we have

11 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Only because the previous administration allowed it!  There should have been a process!

We're not discussing a four year old whose parents should have had a better handle on his discipline. We're talking about an adult who sometimes acted like that four year old throwing a tantrum. While I'm sure the administration(s) could have done more or could have done better, the adult (Knight) bears much of the responsibility as well. We can't say it was all on the administration and absolve him of all the repercussions of his behavior. 

33 minutes ago, T White said:

We're not discussing a four year old whose parents should have had a better handle on his discipline. We're talking about an adult who sometimes acted like that four year old throwing a tantrum. While I'm sure the administration(s) could have done more or could have done better, the adult (Knight) bears much of the responsibility as well. We can't say it was all on the administration and absolve him of all the repercussions of his behavior. 

I do agree, Knight was a giant butt!  I don’t support his antics but when he started to become a horses butt, they should have reprimanded him immediately, instead they turned the other way and kept allowing him to do it and he got much worse.  

Knight was a great coach but was an even bigger butt!  Also, he does bare some of this responsibility too for the last 20+ years for the shape we are in.  

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Hard to know without knowing what the other teams are, but IU could reach that level without much extra shooting if TJD returns. 

We’ll be very athletic and long making our good defense potentially that much better (and giving us more transition buckets). XJ and TJD would have to pick up where they left off in the PnR game; it was the only thing keeping our half court offense off life support at the end of the year. 

On 5/5/2022 at 3:54 PM, ray said:

Kelvin freaking Sampson.  

Was Indiana just a few too many phone calls away from being a legitimate contender on an annual basis, or would half of Sampson's teams been dismissed from IU anyways for poor grades and too many ounces of weed in their possession?  It's tough to say.

He's the Thomas Jefferson or Teddy Roosevelt to the Mt. Rushmore of 'How are they still coaching in the NCAA?'

22 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Many commentators have IU as the early favorite to win the B10!!!

Perhaps. Obviously, TJD coming back is huge. But 3-point shooting is still a liability. We'll have to wait and see how much.