Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SF T. J. Power to Duke

6 minutes ago, rayl456 said:

Yeah, I imagine Filipowski spoke right up and gave a glowing report of his IU recruitment.   

I hate Duke as much as Kentucky and more than Purdue but I have to admit, the idea of seeing Whitehead, Filipowski, Lively together is a coaches dream. Nike is very good to Duke. 

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ain’t gonna be Power. He blew up a little too much. 

I’d never suggest even a minor injury was somehow good, but if you’ve got a good idea who, e.g. Page and Power are as players, I imagine you’re a little relieved when one sits and doesn’t blow up at Peach Jam, just as you’re bummed your odds get longer when the other does

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We didn't make his top 5 of  Duke, Virginia, North Carolina, Boston College, and Iowa.

Initial recruiting of TJ Power was fine, but the extent of effort was a bad call by our staff.

A lot of effort put into a player that will not be taking a campus visit? 

Not good at all.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Initial recruiting of TJ Power was fine, but the extent of effort was a bad call by our staff.

Not good at all.

Staff on the struggle bus in 2023.  Hard to watch unfold. This particular news isn’t a surprise to me. They treated him like #1 in July.  

1a Kaiser 

1b Power

Then Iowa makes the top 5 which adds an element to the discussion where I’m not ready to go yet.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Staff on the struggle bus in 2023.  Hard to watch unfold. This particular news isn’t a surprise to me. They treated him like #1 in July.  

1a Kaiser 

1b Power

Then Iowa makes the top 5 which adds an element to the discussion where I’m not ready to go yet.

Not necessarily. Kaiser, Page, and DHS all visited. Page is the highest priority of the three with a real chance of him being a Hoosier.

Power is different; we put lots of effort in and didn't get near the finish line; that's nothing like Kaiser. With Kaiser we put in effort and almost got him away from his "growing up a fan" school. We won't always close -- that's fine as long as we end up with good players and do not waste our time.

Lesson learned with Power is assessing who is worth our time hopefully.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Not necessarily. Kaiser, Page, and DHS all visited. Page is the highest priority of the three with a real chance of him being a Hoosier.

Power is different; we put lots of effort in and didn't get near the finish line; that's nothing like Kaiser. With Kaiser we put in effort and almost got him away from his "growing up a fan" school. We won't always close -- that's fine as long as we end up with good players and do not waste our time.

Lesson learned with Power is assessing who is worth our time hopefully.

I’m talking about court time In July by our staff. We watched I think every game with Power, 4 deep in many.  Page wasn’t playing so we had a little extra time. Watched DHS and Kaiser a bunch too. 

I realize you won’t win them all.  Gotta get a better feel on who to target somehow.  I remember when 23 looked great and we after KJ Evans and Stoyakavich types. 

Page and transfer portal now. 

Reminds me of Creans off-season when he followed Ray Spaulding all Summer then he commited to Louisville immediately after July circuit. 

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

1a Kaiser 

1b Power

Looks to me they secured 2 early top 100 out of state commitments first and then went all in on the targets they identified as swing for the fences.   Staff probably values the 2 early guys a lot  more then fans do.   Not sure if really mattered who else made Powers top 5 after Duke offered.    Notre Dame put in more time then IU had and got rewarded with a no show for the top 5.   Fran put in a ton of work got included in the top 5.  Not sure the staff is on the struggle bus as much as certain fans are on the illusion of them being on a struggle bus.   

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Looks to me they secured 2 early top 100 out of state commitments first and then went all in on the targets they identified as swing for the fences.   Staff probably values the 2 early guys a lot  more then fans do.   Not sure if really mattered who else made Powers top 5 after Duke offered.    Notre Dame put in more time then IU had and got rewarded with a no show for the top 5.   Fran put in a ton of work got included in the top 5.  Not sure the staff is on the struggle bus as much as certain fans are on the illusion of them being on a struggle bus.   

Agreed -- not saying we're on the struggle bus at all!!

Cupps and Newton are great additions, and because of their early commitment we can afford to shoot high for bigs. Power was a waste of time, but wow, for Brey/ND he was a monumental waste of time and effort. 

Let's get Page and have a 'in the barn" great class for 2023.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed -- not saying we're on the struggle bus at all!!

Cupps and Newton are great additions, and because of their early commitment we can afford to shoot high for bigs. Power was a waste of time, but wow, for Brey/ND he was a monumental waste of time and effort. 

Let's get Page and have a 'in the barn" great class for 2023.

IU kind of knew they were in a uphill battle for Power but they stayed in the fight.   Most of that 4 deep for him at the end of July was right place right time with knowing they were going 4 deep for other recruits at the same event.   Kaiser was the one that probably stings the most for the staff.   It will be interesting if they jump back in the Dunlap recruitment 

25 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

DHS, Kaiser, Page are our swing for the fences recruits?

I’d say Power, Evans, Stoyakavich, and maybe even Booker-late was our attempt to swing for fences. 

The crew we targeted and got officials were the targets the staff and the players viewed as realistic.  

Well either way, I’m sure there will be great players in the transfer portal and between hopefully a good season, NIL, and playing time we will have a lot to offer.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

DHS, Kaiser, Page are our swing for the fences recruits?

I’d say Power, Evans, Stoyakavich, and maybe even Booker-late was our attempt to swing for fences. 

The crew we targeted and got officials were the targets the staff and the players viewed as realistic.  

Well either way, I’m sure there will be great players in the transfer portal and between hopefully a good season, NIL, and playing time we will have a lot to offer.  

Kaiser and Page after they evaluated them were in my opinion.    Power blew up way more then people thought he would.  0 chance he would of been considered a swing for the fence before his blowup.   They went hard at evans since they had 2 teammates but they dropped early when they knew they weren’t going to be the pick. Same with Pejas kid.   Scouted him early before he blew up and offered and then backed off when it was clear they were not going to he the choice.   Booker definitely not swing for the fence since  the head coach didn’t go all in.    

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Not good at all.

You have to put effort in every recruit because you don't know who will be the guys that commit to you.  If you only put effort in guys you think might come then you will really eliminate most of your recruit pool.  If you only recruit 4-5 guys and lose our on them then you are screwed.

39 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Kaiser and Page after they evaluated them were in my opinion.    Power blew up way more then people thought he would.  0 chance he would of been considered a swing for the fence before his blowup.   They went hard at evans since they had 2 teammates but they dropped early when they knew they weren’t going to be the pick. Same with Pejas kid.   Scouted him early before he blew up and offered and then backed off when it was clear they were not going to he the choice.   Booker definitely not swing for the fence since  the head coach didn’t go all in.    

Interesting context. They successfully identified that Evans and Stoyakovich weren’t places to expend effort. Booker was local, so it wasn’t as much effort needed. Power was misplaced effort, but I guess since they were already at the events…

My first choice would have been for Power to commit to IU.

My second choice would to be outside the top 5 so we can move on and direct our efforts elsewhere. BU and Iowa are going to waste more time until he picks Duke/UNC/UVA.

I have no idea where he will go but Duke seems to get whoever they want.