Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PF Malik Reneau to INDIANA

On 6/9/2022 at 7:49 PM, IUFAN1976 said:

That tells me it’s team and first over their own personal numbers.  That means they are very unselfish players who put everything else fist above their own numbers, but they get good by working on their game on their own and through great competition 

As Juniors JHS played 11 mins a game and MR played 10. They waited for their turns to shine.

If you haven't already, really encourage you to listen to this interview with Malik.  Very poised young man wth a great sense of humor.  Actual interview starts at the 34:00 min. mark.  The story of his commitment starts at 75 min.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Malik-Reneau-188443484/

On 6/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If you haven't already, really encourage you to listen to this interview with Malik.  Very poised young man wth a great sense of humor.  Actual interview starts at the 34:00 min. mark.  The story of his commitment starts at 75 min.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Malik-Reneau-188443484/

I tried listening to their interview with TJD and my ears started bleeding before the interview started. 

Just mentioned Reneau in another thread about him being here next year. Then I started wondering if he could actually be a 1st RD pick himself after this year. I get he lacks athleticism but a big that has tremendous footwork, excellent vision and passing ability and can step out and hit a jumper has to be an intriguing prospect at the next level right? NBA guys...... think there's a good chance he could be a 1st RD pick?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Just mentioned Reneau in another thread about him being here next year. Then I started wondering if he could actually be a 1st RD pick himself after this year. I get he lacks athleticism but a big that has tremendous footwork, excellent vision and passing ability and can step out and hit a jumper has to be an intriguing prospect at the next level right? NBA guys...... think there's a good chance he could be a 1st RD pick?

Yes— he could go early, or a very large NIL deal could keep him for a second year even if he’s a late first round or early second round pick.

Enjoying the living daylights out of watching him play in the meantime. Never seen a player that is so universally loved in every single aspect of everything he does.

Yes— he could go early, or a very large NIL deal could keep him for a second year even if he’s a late first round or early second round pick.
Enjoying the living daylights out of watching him play in the meantime. Never seen a player that is so universally loved in every single aspect of everything he does.
It's been awhile for sure. Zeller was pretty much that and there's been others that maybe weren't as productive while being adored for all they did.

As much as I'm going to enjoy this season, I am a little concerned that Malik might not be here next year. He has an intriguing skill set. If he continues to improve throughout the season, which I'm sure he will, he'll no doubt attract interest. If, on the other hand, JHS and Malik both come back next year, look out!

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

We really got a good one here.  Vonleh was probably the last big we had come in ready to play at this level.

Not to nitpick, but Reneau's own teammate averaged 13.5 ppg and 8.4 rpg as a freshmen, and Thomas Bryant averaged 12 ppg and 5.8 rpg on an outright Big Ten Title/Sweet Sixteen team. 

7 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I think his athleticism will keep him around another year. He’d have to be a really good outside shooter or an elite big ten defender, maybe both, to justify a first round pick, imo.  

He’s kind of the classic tweener. That’s probably good for us as the odds are he’ll be around more than one year. Even at that he’ll make plenty in NIL and still make plenty of money playing pro ball somewhere.  

If he goes first round after this year that’ll mean he played really well—like can’t keep him out of the starting lineup well—which is a good thing for us too. 

On 6/10/2022 at 11:39 PM, HoosierHoops1 said:

As Juniors JHS played 11 mins a game and MR played 10. They waited for their turns to shine.

They valued the work in practice against those elite players, more so than they did playing at a regular HS with a regular HS schedule. It's obvious it worked for those two kids. 

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They valued the work in practice against those elite players, more so than they did playing at a regular HS with a regular HS schedule. It's obvious it worked for those two kids. 

That’s one of the things I really like about these two guys. A large percentage of high school stars would be unwilling to give up “being the guy”, or ride the pine or put in the work.

In regards to other posters comments about Malik being one and done. He is clearly very talented, and I think there is a chance he could go (especially if he can prove to be a threat from the perimeter), but at this point we have primarily seen that he has a really high floor. Let’s wait and see how he does in the next month vs talented big men. I don’t have any reason to think he won’t do well but right now it’s still TBD.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

That’s one of the things I really like about these two guys. A large percentage of high school stars would be unwilling to give up “being the guy”, or ride the pine or put in the work.

In regards to other posters comments about Malik being one and done. He is clearly very talented, and I think there is a chance he could go (especially if he can prove to be a threat from the perimeter), but at this point we have primarily seen that he has a really high floor. Let’s wait and see how he does in the next month vs talented big men. I don’t have any reason to think he won’t do well but right now it’s still TBD.

He's a tremendous player and I'm really high on his upside, but I don't think he'll be a OAD. He's really good right now, but he'll be tested against veteran B1G bigs along with the high-level out of conf games we have coming (stoked to see how well he plays against them), and as good as he is he does not look, to me, like a player primed to compete immediately, this early on, for a 1st round draft pick, the athleticism and dominance required for that level of front-court play is a very high bar. 

Not to nitpick, but Reneau's own teammate averaged 13.5 ppg and 8.4 rpg as a freshmen, and Thomas Bryant averaged 12 ppg and 5.8 rpg on an outright Big Ten Title/Sweet Sixteen team. 
I'm confused here and apparently the only one. Who is the teammate of Reneau that we are talking about here?

"Just calming down on the court," Reneau said postgame. "Being calm when I'm out there, and just letting the game come to me."

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/malik-reneau-letting-the-game-come-to-him-during-current-iu-wining-streak