Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PF Malik Reneau to INDIANA

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Were people actually mad about him missing the state championship game? Seems like a silly thing to get mad about.

People are not use to a head coach with this style when it comes to recruiting high school kids.    Woody isn’t going to go to each and every event that he can go to for each recruit.    So far his style has been working but if you notice it’s worked in situations where the recruitment itself wasn’t a long one.   The concern is going to come from recruiting and younger recruit and putting in the time to track each year and build the relationship.  His approach is to be the closer.  Let his assistants do the recruiting on the road for the most part and bring them on campus to be the closer whereas a coach like Izzo is out on the road being visible for a recruit to see that he is at every event possible.   My guess is Woody will be just fine with his approach but he will lose out on some recruitments for his lack of visibility.  Just my opinion though 

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

People are not use to a head coach with this style when it comes to recruiting high school kids.    Woody isn’t going to go to each and every event that he can go to for each recruit.    So far his style has been working but if you notice it’s worked in situations where the recruitment itself wasn’t a long one.   The concern is going to come from recruiting and younger recruit and putting in the time to track each year and build the relationship.  His approach is to be the closer.  Let his assistants do the recruiting on the road for the most part and bring them on campus to be the closer whereas a coach like Izzo is out on the road being visible for a recruit to see that he is at every event possible.   My guess is Woody will be just fine with his approach but he will lose out on some recruitments for his lack of visibility.  Just my opinion though 

Making it an honor to meet the head coach seems like it could be a winning overall strategy, especially if 1) we are winning high profile games, and 2) if we have assistants that are truly up to the task.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Archie got 3 straight Indiana Mr Basketballs and we still sucked.  

Yup. 

And Woody did more with Archie's guys than Archie ever did lol. 

I don't think Archie ever had 2 five star kids in one class though.

19 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

19 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Making it an honor to meet the head coach seems like it could be a winning overall strategy, especially if 1) we are winning high profile games, and 2) if we have assistants that are truly up to the task.

A version of this worked very well for John Beilein, and as  assistants go, he may have never had a single one as good at recruiting as Ya or Kenya (Walsh TBD, wary returns promising).

19 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

One of my favorite things about this Mike Woodson story is just how damn overjoyed he was when Malik committed. Mike Woodson saw him play earlier, and when he had the chance to get him, believed that this was a transformational player.

If Mike Woodson thinks that Malik Reneau is this good, I’m pretty excited to have him on the Indiana roster.

Attempting to reverse engineer why CMW would feel that way:

1. Defensively: instantly playable frosh at PF/C are rare if you demand they execute scheme. Long-term, an anchor on that end after Race and TJD.

2. Offensively, polished, versatile, broad base of skill. Maybe he develops into a true three-level scorer, but again: ready to contribute in a necessary role now with potential to grow.

3. Monteverde connection: we’ve discussed. Seems clear CMW values prep academy development. Whether it’s KJ Evans or anybody else, this strengthens that bond.

4. Roster impact: probably frees Geronimo to find time on the wing if he earns it. Softens the blow if top 2023 Cs go elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

"It was like a no-brainer for me, it was just a complete no-brainer for me."

Scream that quote from the mountain tops. That's some damn good PR right there, coming from a high-level recruit.

20 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Yeah this is nuts. I’m as excited for 2 years from now as I am for this season. What a great talent and attitude to bring in to this team. 

The next two seasons will say a lot about where we are headed as a program. Two great seasons and the momentum should be sustainable.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, ziggyiu said:

Can we pin this for the people who come here stating talent won't come here because we already have a starter in place or other highly ranked players are already on the roster? 

Talent -- with the right mindset -- loves to play with talent. That's how some programs reload. Give some of these young people credit for not just wanting everything handed to them. Many of them are very willing to work toward their goals and understand the process. 

It would be huge to maintain the Montverde pipeline as they have a number of talented kids every year and they play and practice against D1 talent every day (in 2021 they had the 6th, 11th, 48th, 69th, 148th players and in 2022 they had the 2nd, 5th, 22nd, 27th, 30th….at ONE high school, insane).

On top of that, along the lines of the points you make above, Montverde is able to attract supremely talented players willing to sit on the bench in high school. Both Malik and JHS were second stringers as juniors in high school and are used to working while earning their minutes. Compare that to some kids in less competitive high school conferences that are used to being the star from day 1 and probably not interested in any bench time in college (not saying they are all like that).

8 hours ago, DChoosier said:

It would be huge to maintain the Montverde pipeline as they have a number of talented kids every year and they play and practice against D1 talent every day (in 2021 they had the 6th, 11th, 48th, 69th, 148th players and in 2022 they had the 2nd, 5th, 22nd, 27th, 30th….at ONE high school, insane).

On top of that, along the lines of the points you make above, Montverde is able to attract supremely talented players willing to sit on the bench in high school. Both Malik and JHS were second stringers as juniors in high school and are used to working while earning their minutes. Compare that to some kids in less competitive high school conferences that are used to being the star from day 1 and probably not interested in any bench time in college (not saying they are all like that).

That tells me it’s team and first over their own personal numbers.  That means they are very unselfish players who put everything else fist above their own numbers, but they get good by working on their game on their own and through great competition 

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That tells me it’s team and first over their own personal numbers.  That means they are very unselfish players who put everything else fist above their own numbers, but they get good by working on their game on their own and through great competition 

Yep.

That’s my point and they should be great additions for IU.

18 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That, but also in fairness Montverde is prime recruiting grounds for the top college basketball programs, the players go there both for the level of competition/competitive play and for the exposure / recruiting

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

"Even if he doesn’t start right away, having him on the roster gives Indiana the depth to allow Jordan Geronimo to fully transition to the three spot - something he’s reportedly working on - without being too thin up front."

"...he should give Indiana a midrange scoring threat it hasn’t had in years" 

Amen