Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PF Malik Reneau to INDIANA

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

55 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Short but interesting read, getting the "restaurant story" from the horses mouth.  Also neat to find out Woody was on a working vacation in Florida right after our season concluded.  I must say it appears Coach Woodson will be a very successful recruiter if early returns are an indication.

This rocks

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes. And there are some people that can eat crow complaining he missed our state championship games. That was an annoying discussion. 

Were people actually mad about him missing the state championship game? Seems like a silly thing to get mad about.

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Were people actually mad about him missing the state championship game? Seems like a silly thing to get mad about.

I don't know if mad is exactly the right word but people were certainly complaining about it. They were saying he wasn't taking recruiting seriously and missing the state championship game sent a bad message to Indiana HS coaches that he didn't care about recruiting the state of Indiana. Or something like that. It was all nonsense. 

22 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I don't know if mad is exactly the right word but people were certainly complaining about it. They were saying he wasn't taking recruiting seriously and missing the state championship game sent a bad message to Indiana HS coaches that he didn't care about recruiting the state of Indiana. Or something like that. It was all nonsense. 

@Hoosierfan2017 this

32 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

All while Kenya was courtside, lol

53 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the HC to make the IN Semi and State games if possible, and be all best buds with IN HS coaches.... But I'm much more interested in the final result (the class itself, and product on the floor) than which games a coach does or doesn't attend. 

We've lost the top kids in the state because our performance has sucked, not because what games we attended or didn't attend. This can be chickened/egged of course, but I'll take the 5 star flip last season, the re-recruitment of TJD, the Dance appearance, beating PU finally, and the two 5 star kids coming in this season... Success will make the in-state kids want to come more than Woody at a game. 

48 minutes ago, Southside said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the HC to make the IN Semi and State games if possible, and be all best buds with IN HS coaches.... But I'm much more interested in the final result (the class itself, and product on the floor) than which games a coach does or doesn't attend. 

We've lost the top kids in the state because our performance has sucked, not because what games we attended or didn't attend. This can be chickened/egged of course, but I'll take the 5 star flip last season, the re-recruitment of TJD, the Dance appearance, beating PU finally, and the two 5 star kids coming in this season... Success will make the in-state kids want to come more than Woody at a game. 

I'll refer to a legend---- the quote went "just win baby, win" 

As far as the State Finals, much of that was in regards to Xavier Booker. Getting Reneau was a big, big need. In general making a presence in Indiana is also important. Clearly can’t be in 2 places at once. He made his choice. Also, many thought it to be a literal vacation. I think the staff knows Booker is a long shot, so an executive decision was made.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As far as the State Finals, much of that was in regards to Xavier Booker. Getting Reneau was a big, big need. In general making a presence in Indiana is also important. Clearly can’t be in 2 places at once. He made his choice. Also, many thought it to be a literal vacation. I think the staff knows Booker is a long shot, so an executive decision was made.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It was a vacation, pretty sure anyways. It was coincidence he decommitted while Woodson was down there... then CMW made time to see Malik while he was down there. Thats how I took it, anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Josh said:

Archie got 3 straight Indiana Mr Basketballs and we still sucked.  

Says a lot, doesn’t it?

1. not all Mr. Basketballs are created equally.

2. Indiana HS basketball is LOVED but isn’t some secret sorcery of basketball genius. 

3. Some sort of Roster balance is necessary including depth in the right places.  

4.  Winning in the B1G isn’t easy and requires a full program that knows what it takes including identifying the right talent and landing it.

5. They can’t all be Cody Zeller!

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I feel like that crowd won’t be happy until our roster is full of 13 Indiana boys. I’m happy we’re going after players across the country. Too much talent out there to focus exclusively on one state. 

14 minutes ago, Demo said:

With all the offers that were out I watched a ton of Atlanta area HS ball last winter. I love Indiana HS ball as much as anyone, but the depth of talent and, frankly, the physicality and aggression were on different levels. Watched Newton HS(Jakai Newton) vs Norcross(London Johnson) in the state semis and remember thinking that there was not a single guard on the floor Braden Smith could defend. Not knocking Smith. He’s a good player. But there were fully 6 guards in that game that were better physical talents. It was nuts. The explosion in basketball has overtaken Indiana. Nothing wrong with it. There’s still plenty of guys in the state. It just requires us to temper our romantic view of Indiana HS preeminence. It is long gone. 

...if it was ever truly a thing

One of my favorite things about this Mike Woodson story is just how damn overjoyed he was when Malik committed. Mike Woodson saw him play earlier, and when he had the chance to get him, believed that this was a transformational player.

If Mike Woodson thinks that Malik Reneau is this good, I’m pretty excited to have him on the Indiana roster.