Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

AAU and Prep School Potential Pipelines to IU

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Okay ... for me this just got interesting. It is clear to me that there is a connection developing or developed between our staff and Etop Udo-Ema, the CEO and guru for the Compton Magic. Clearly. 

The Compton Magic is an Adidas sponsored program -- they are stocked with 4* and 5* players, and they produce some good, classy kids to boot (the Mobleys, Cunningham). 

Remember this; Woody and his very good friend Doc Rivers were together with the Clippers in Los Angeles from 2014-2018. Udo-Ema clearly trusts Woody to take good care of his kids, and therefore is promoting IU as a viable option to Compton Magic players. And we're Adidas.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2930550-compton-aau-team-was-broke-as-f-k-now-its-an-nba-stepping-stone

Great. Freaking. Article.

39 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Some interesting trends are developing with Montverde and the Compton Magic. We can discuss prep school and AAU connections to IUBB here.

Would it be inappropriate to just drop in a JPEG of the 'state of Georgia' as well?!  The in-roads Coach Ya has made within the state are remarkable, unlocking a new level of athlete for the program.

6 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Would it be inappropriate to just drop in a JPEG of the 'state of Georgia' as well?!  The in-roads Coach Ya has made within the state are remarkable, unlocking a new level of athlete for the program.

That's not this thread. Ya's connections all over Georgia are a big deal, but this thread is for specific program pipelines, and I'm not seeing that in Georgia...yet.

2 thoughts.

Can we actually beat USC, UCLA, Arizona for these type of guys?

I like watching talent. I know winning is easier with talent. Always been a ‘get talent’ minded coaching philosophy. Need to see it play out, but it’s intriguing we even have a foot in the door.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

This sounds great and I'm all for it. But do we know if there is a connection other than were both Adidas schools? I love that we're trying to get in with big-time HS programs but we need to land one from Compton first. 

Do we know? We're not in the room. Can we try to connect some dots? Let's do that:

Eta Udo-Ema is the same vintage as Woody and Doc Rivers, and Doc and Woody were at the pinnacle of the mountain with the Clippers during the past ten years. Woody and Doc are major proponents of social justice and youth mentoring in the L.A. area -- Woody's annual Las Vegas golf tourney was a major event for the basketball community to raise money for underprivileged SoCal youth. Lou Richie, Chuck D, Doc, Woody, Leonard Hamilton, Vivian Stringer. Those people are dialed in to each other, and they trust each other. Betcha at least a few of them are in the contacts on Woody's personal cell phone.

Mike Woodson is someone that people who matter in L. A. basketball inherently trust and believe in. 

• Do we beat out UCLA and USC for these kids? Not usually. 
  • Do we get the chance to recruit these kids with a a seal of approval given to the families of these kids from people that matter a lot? Sure seems like that's a possibility, doesn't it? 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Do we know? We're not in the room. Can we try to connect some dots? Let's do that:

Eta Udo-Ema is the same vintage as Woody and Doc Rivers, and Doc and Woody were at the pinnacle of the mountain with the Clippers during the past ten years. Woody and Doc are major proponents of social justice and youth mentoring in the L.A. area -- Woody's annual Las Vegas golf tourney was a major event for the basketball community to raise money for underprivileged SoCal youth. Lou Richie, Chuck D, Doc, Woody, Leonard Hamilton, Vivian Stringer. Those people are dialed in to each other, and they trust each other. Betcha at least a few of them are in the contacts on Woody's personal cell phone.

Mike Woodson is someone that people who matter in L. A. basketball inherently trust and believe in. 

• Do we get the chance to recruit these kids with a a seal of approval given to the families of these kids from people that matter a lot? Sure seems like that's a possibility, doesn't it? 

I love the way you think. I also agree with what you're saying. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Some interesting trends are developing with Montverde and the Compton Magic. We can discuss prep school and AAU connections to IUBB here.

When Crean signed McSwain, he made the comment that when recruiting JUCO kids you’re assessing the program more than the kid. Absolutely true. Should be the same with Preps and AAU. Stability is crucial. A school like  Montverde brings kids in for multiple years and they sacrifice their own stats for winning and development. They are college ready kids as well as players. Compare that to a revolving door like Prolific or a paper mill like Word of God and those kids just have a much better chance to assimilate and then extend your culture. That Compton Magic article is awesome. Love it. The best programs grow the same kids for years. When you see some kid who’s played for 10 programs in 3 yrs, run. Don’t care how talented the kid is, run.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

When Crean signed McSwain, he made the comment that when recruiting JUCO kids you’re assessing the program more than the kid. Absolutely true. Should be the same with Preps and AAU. Stability is crucial. A school like  Montverde brings kids in for multiple years and they sacrifice their own stats for winning and development. They are college ready kids as well as players. Compare that to a revolving door like Prolific or a paper mill like Word of God and those kids just have a much better chance to assimilate and then extend your culture. That Compton Magic article is awesome. Love it. The best programs grow the same kids for years. When you see some kid who’s played for 10 programs in 3 yrs, run. Don’t care how talented the kid is, run.

Absolutely.

I can't take Jalen Green. If Jalen Green wanted to come, I wouldn't take him. I love Jalen, but if I were to have had him early, that's different. But I can't add him onto my team as a junior. 

That's a helluva thing to say.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Absolutely.

I can't take Jalen Green. If Jalen Green wanted to come, I wouldn't take him. I love Jalen, but if I were to have had him early, that's different. But I can't add him onto my team as a junior. 

That's a helluva thing to say.

Yup. Also love that they’ll sit their higher profile kids to get their other kids more exposure. The best programs deliver what they promise kids. So many programs will poach kids by promising playing time that they don’t deliver. Combine that with the handlers with their hands out and it’s just scuzzy as hell. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Terrific dot connecting here, and I’ll add that at the highest level of recruit, you could even imagine a player making enough to relocate his family closer to his college.

That’s always been possible with under-the-table feels, but now a school like IU, with NIL collectives working outside the formal institution, can say, “our last draft prospect got $x/year from Hoosiers for Good, Hysterics collective, and endorsements. You can buy mom a house.”

23 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

If the connections are there and viable/active, then it's fair to think that with time, sooner or later, Coach Woodson will land a young man from there.  It only takes one to fully open the door, I would think.  

On 4/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, Stuhoo said:

When I clicked on this topic I was expecting to see the first post to be about montverde.  A pleasant surprise that there’s another school to be discussed.