Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

IU Baseball vs Purdue- 4/9 - 4/11/22

If IU is serious about baseball Dustin Glant will not have a job after this weekend.

I know it is his first year but every pitcher has gotten worse and all the walks and wild pitches are not being fixed. IU already down 4-0 after 1 inning thanks to the free passes and out of control pitching.  Glant might be the worst hire this baseball team has made since Bob Morgan. When every pitcher gets worse and no one has any control over their pitches, I blame that 100% on the new pitching coach and whatever he is doing is destroying this program. 

Stupid stupid hire. Now correct it before team falls apart completely.

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

If IU is serious about baseball Dustin Glant will not have a job after this weekend.

I know it is his first year but every pitcher has gotten worse and all the walks and wild pitches are not being fixed. IU already down 4-0 after 1 inning thanks to the free passes and out of control pitching.  Glant might be the worst hire this baseball team has made since Bob Morgan. When every pitcher gets worse and no one has any control over their pitches, I blame that 100% on the new pitching coach and whatever he is doing is destroying this program. 

Stupid stupid hire. Now correct it before team falls apart completely.

Any idea why our pitchers have been so awful under Glant? I did some digging and came up with the following:

"In 2019, Ball State pitchers made national waves under Glant. The staff led the nation with 11.1 Ks per 9 innings and struck out 628 batters. The school season record for team strikeouts was 491 in 2017 (Glant's first season) and 520 in 2018 (Glant's second season). The 2019 team went 38-19 - including a 20-5 conference record - and finished second in both the conference regular season standings and tournament. Three pitchers - Drey Jameson, John Baker and Nick Floyd - were voted first team All-MAC in 2019. Jameson and Baker each earned freshman All-American honors and Jameson was 2019 MAC Pitcher of the Year."

I went to BSU and follow a fan board where the baseball team occasionally gets discussed. The posters there agreed that Glant was a huge loss when he moved on following the 2019 season. They also said he doesn't seem to stay in one place for very long. 

Just very puzzling how in one year we went from preseason Big Ten favorite, to this. 

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

Serious question.  How do you make a mid-season move like this when you can't go out into the open market and quickly fill the position?  Who would assume the role of our pitching coach?

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Serious question.  How do you make a mid-season move like this when you can't go out into the open market and quickly fill the position?  Who would assume the role of our pitching coach? 

Fair point. But he cannot stay on next year if this keeps up. I don't care what he did at Ball State or in the past. Whatever he is doing here is not working and it is making the pitchers worse than they were previously. 

52 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Any idea why our pitchers have been so awful under Glant? I did some digging and came up with the following:

"In 2019, Ball State pitchers made national waves under Glant. The staff led the nation with 11.1 Ks per 9 innings and struck out 628 batters. The school season record for team strikeouts was 491 in 2017 (Glant's first season) and 520 in 2018 (Glant's second season). The 2019 team went 38-19 - including a 20-5 conference record - and finished second in both the conference regular season standings and tournament. Three pitchers - Drey Jameson, John Baker and Nick Floyd - were voted first team All-MAC in 2019. Jameson and Baker each earned freshman All-American honors and Jameson was 2019 MAC Pitcher of the Year."

I went to BSU and follow a fan board where the baseball team occasionally gets discussed. The posters there agreed that Glant was a huge loss when he moved on following the 2019 season. They also said he doesn't seem to stay in one place for very long.  

Just very puzzling how in one year we went from preseason Big Ten favorite, to this. 

I hope he doesn't stay in this place long either. His past is irrelevant to me since whatever he is doing here has made the pitchers much worse. Maybe he only knows one way and the type of pitchers IU has are not conducive to making it succeed and he cant adjust?

Whatever the case this hire is not working and the pitchers have gotten much worse under him and completely incapable of keeping ball in strike zone. 

I hate to the bearer off bad news but the Hoosiers' team ERA is the highest since at least 1945 when the team started keeping this stat.

Something is very wrong with the way Glant is teaching pitching. Period. College baseball switched to the much harder to use BBCOR bats after 2010 and somehow the ERA this season is higher than any season with the easier bats. Totally pathetic.