Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but I've seen some cop misconduct videos on YouTube -- and from your brief description of your son's situation, it seems you might have more than enough ammo (pun intended) to file a lawsuit. 

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I believe we do, but end of the day we want this in the rearview mirror and don’t want any more interaction with cops or the system. It turns out that Harris County (Houston) is - no really - 40,000 cases behind. 40,000. The system is a total mess, the ADA’s are routinely non-responsive (thank God a new, responsible ADA was assigned, the first did literally nothing for months), and really we are just glad it’s finally over.

Moral of this story, everyone should tell their kids to avoid any situation with cops, you just never know what will happen.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Don’t we have an exhibition or two he can sit during? That’d do fine for me.

Not a betting man but I would wager that any such suspension will be done at least one game before the first big game, 11/18 at Xavier. That way his first action back isn’t there.

I would not be surprised if any internal discipline is already complete, though.

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't see the suspendability here, or the boldness. 

You do realize our player just plead guilty to a crime.  And that was a pretty good plea deal down. 

Our fanbase is so odd. We romanticize knight and his hard discipline.  Criticize Sampson for players out there causing trouble.  But whenever the current coach has a player that breaks the law theirs always a contingent that wants to make an exception for those cases.  

Seems like a lot of people love the idea of accountability and discipline but not so much having it in place. 

31 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You do realize our player just plead guilty to a crime.  And that was a pretty good plea deal down. 

Our fanbase is so odd. We romanticize knight and his hard discipline.  Criticize Sampson for players out there causing trouble.  But whenever the current coach has a player that breaks the law theirs always a contingent that wants to make an exception for those cases.  

Seems like a lot of people love the idea of accountability and discipline but not so much having it in place. 

lol

I don't really care for Bob Knight. I certainly don't care about Kelvin Sampson. I am not sure where that puts me on the spectrum of oddities that is our fanbase. I just don't see any way XJ should be suspended. 

He was speeding and that isn't that big of a deal for me. Run his balls off and move on, good lord. I have zero clue what the rest of your post was about. Very odd. So, I don't see the suspendability. I didn't say he shouldn't be punished. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

lol

Sure. It's more like, he was speeding and that isn't that big of a deal for me. Run his balls off and move on, good lord. I have zero clue what the rest of your post was about. Very odd. So, I don't see the suspendability. I didn't say he shouldn't be punished. 

Ahh you don’t actually know or care what happened. That explains it.  

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Ahh you don’t actually know or care what happened. That explains it.  

Certainly, I do. This is why I voiced my opinion.... It's ok I have a different opinion than you. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Certainly, I do. This is why I voiced my opinion.... It's ok I have a different opinion than you. 

You voiced an opinion that showed you were operating with incorrect info. He wasn’t just speeding.  That’s not even what he pled down to.  He pled to something more severe and what he actually did was even worse.  But let’s be honest you don’t really what he did.  

Just like you didn’t care what Morgan ellison did.  Your issue wasn’t with what he did or didn’t do it was with holding an athlete accountable. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You voiced an opinion that showed you were operating with incorrect info. He wasn’t just speeding.  That’s not even what he pled down to.  He pled to something more severe and what he actually did was even worse.  But let’s be honest you don’t really what he did.  

Just like you didn’t care what Morgan ellison did.  Your issue wasn’t with what he did or didn’t do it was with holding an athlete accountable. 

Dude, you get entirely too personal. This is sports.

I know and understand the story about XJ. Stop telling me that I don't. I have all the info. 

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

lol

I don't really care of Bob Knight. I certainly don't care about Kelvin Sampson. I am not sure where that puts me on the spectrum of oddities that is our fanbase. I just don't see any way XJ should be suspended. 

He was speeding and that isn't that big of a deal for me. Run his balls off and move on, good lord. I have zero clue what the rest of your post was about. Very odd. So, I don't see the suspendability. I didn't say he shouldn't be punished. 

I'm glad that this is behind the team.  I'm glad that we, the fans and the team, will see XJ play at the point this season.

But if the original charges were correct, then the above characterization as just "...speeding and that isn't that big of a deal..." to me is either disingenuous or outright wrong.  (In my humble opinion, of course.)

It was reported that he allegedly put riders and the public at risk of injury and then tried to evade the police.  Then allegedly talked his passengers into swapping positions to attempt to coverup his being the driver.  Thereby giving false statements to police.  

And XJ has been in the hot seat if I remember correctly and suspended before.  He is an upperclassman and supposed to be a leader on the team and he pulls this crap.

I am glad that I do not make the disciplinary decisions.  But I do believe that XJ made those decisions when he put himself and others at risk and jeopardized his friends and his team.  Not to mention putting another blot on Indiana University athletics.

Once again, I have very mixed feelings about this.  But of course I do not have insider's knowledge of any of it.  

Seems to me that XJ was on double secret probation before this happened.  He must be on tripple-dipple top secret suspendability Pro-bation now. /snark

He will sit for a couple of games, I guess.  Thank goodness he was not drinking. I guess that that means that XJ made the above referenced really stupid decisions while mostly sober, eh?  What the heck does XJ require?  A babysitter or minder?  If you were the coach, would you ask for his driver's license and keep it for a while? Suspend him or not?   Seems to me like progressive discipline requires suspension beyond one game.

XJ needs to lead the team with others and not down the wrong path.  He needs to grow up.  His actions and the coach's decision on discipline could have such negative (or positive) impacts... And I am not just referring to short-term impacts.  It is not just about sports or wins.  It is also about teaching, representing IU, changing team culture, funding by the State of Indiana and support by fans.  And not to mention future recruiting...and not just by the basketball coaches. 

Go IU!

13 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Moral of this story, everyone should tell their kids to avoid any situation with cops, you just never know what will happen.

Sadly, it seems this is what we have come to. I tell my grandkids, boys especially, to avoid interactions with the police as much as possible. If forced to interact, be as polite and quiet as possible.

6 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I'm glad that this is behind the team.  I'm glad that we, the fans and the team, will see XJ play at the point this season.

But if the original charges were correct, then the above characterization as just "...speeding and that isn't that big of a deal..." to me is either disingenuous or outright wrong.  (In my humble opinion, of course.)

It was reported that he allegedly tried to evade the police.  Then allegedly talked his passengers into swapping positions to attempt to coverup his being the driver.  Thereby giving false statements to police.  

And XJ has been in the hot seat if I remember correctly and suspended before.  He is an upperclassman and supposed to be a leader on the team and he pulls this crap.

I am glad that I do not make the disciplinary decisions.  But I do believe that XJ made those decisions when he put himself and others at risk and jeopardized his friends and his team.  Not to mention putting another blot on Indiana University athletics.

Once again, I have very mixed feelings about this.  But of course I do not have insider's knowledge of any of it.  

Seems to me that XJ was on double secret probation before this happened.  He must be on tripple-dipple top secret suspendability Pro-bation now. /snark

He will sit for a couple of games, I guess.  Thank goodness he was not drinking.  XJ needs to lead the team with others and not down the wrong path.

Go IU!

I agree with most of this and believe that CMW has dealt with the issue appropriately. Since I have no firsthand knowledge or access to the people involved, I don't know what actually happened. I always take the public information with a grain of salt.

6 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

It was reported that he allegedly tried to evade the police.  Then allegedly talked his passengers into swapping positions to attempt to coverup his being the driver.  Thereby giving false statements to police.  

He will sit for a couple of games, I guess.  Thank goodness he was not drinking.  XJ needs to lead the team with others and not down the wrong path.

Go IU!

Only charge that stuck--- reckless driving. I don't think there was any sort of probation, that was fabricated by our tremendous fanbase. Switching seats in a car? I've had like 1000000 friends try that. Pulling into a parking lot is not evading the cops, which is why that ridiculous charge was dropped. 

Switching seats is stupid, it shouldn't be an indictment on his character though. 

Look, I have a lead foot. XJ needs to keep that under wraps, insurance is going to be astronomical. 

I trust Mike Woodson and the athletic department to handle things the right way and handle punishments. 

My personal opinion is that it is an extremely safe assumption that XJ has been punished a great deal internally already. So with that assumption, I don’t see any need to suspend him for games 7-8 months after the fact for things he's already been punished or held accountable for. 

Suspending him for an exhibition game or two would be for fan optics. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I trust Mike Woodson and the athletic department to handle things the right way and handle punishments. 

My personal opinion is that it is an extremely safe assumption that XJ has been punished a great deal internally already. So with that assumption, I don’t see any need to suspend him for games 7-8 months after the fact for things he's already been punished or held accountable for. 

Suspending him for an exhibition game or two would be for fan optics. 

I think it sets a dangerous precedent myself if on strike 1 of being a knucklehead there’s game suspensions but with strike 2 of being a knucklehead you let him off with running or some other non visible punishment.  The second more severe offense isn’t supposed to have a lighter sentence 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Agree that he needs to be suspended a couple of games

It's a tricky balance.

Ultimately, Mike Woodson's likely calculus is deciding what will best help Xavier Johnson develop as a young man and into a solid human being.

The balancing decision?

• How to effect punishment that will impress upon him that acting immaturely and driving dangerously is a recipe for a sad future,
  • While making it clear that we don't make an example out of people, or let X feel like we are throwing him away or isn't worthy of reclamation.

These occasions are when I am especially glad that we have 63 year old, very wise, no-nonsense but relatable, father-figure Mike Woodson as coach.

There is no doubt in my mind that Xavier Johnson will come out of this situation feeling ashamed that he disappointed Woody and disappointed in himself. He will also come out of this situation (and has already showed) that he knows that Mike Woodson has his best interests at heart. He will not think that Mike Woodson is primarily keeping him around to win basketball games. And I strongly suspect that Mike Woodson's Northwestern game suspensions last season are paying dividends in that regard.

So, since Mike Woodson is a helluva lot more factually informed and has a lifetime of demonstrated expertise in this kind of thing, I am highly deferential in believing that whatever Mike Woodson decides is the right decision.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Only charge that stuck--- reckless driving. I don't think there was any sort of probation, that was fabricated by our tremendous fanbase. Switching seats in a car? I've had like 1000000 friends try that. Pulling into a parking lot is not evading the cops, which is why that ridiculous charge was dropped. 

Switching seats is stupid, it shouldn't be an indictment on his character though. 

Look, I have a lead foot. XJ needs to keep that under wraps, insurance is going to be astronomical. 

Going 90 in a 40 is not just a lead foot