Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

1 hour ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Do you, or anyone think that this incident has caused ANYONE on the team to lose respect for X?

I'll vote H#$l no it hasn't. about two will say what the heck bro, the four will say....... OH NO YOU DIDN'T ! ! muahahaha.. the rest will say, oh snap! 

Probably just nickname him "Racer X."

How many will get the Speed Racer reference?  :)

13 hours ago, jk34 said:

"If rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it"

But, at least he won 3 nattys while at IU!

Because, as we all know, winning is all that matters. 

You know the first quote wasn't said that way. Not that intent, and was an off the record analogy for something else.

22 hours ago, Chris007 said:

This might be behind a paywall but not sure. It explains what the officer saw and wrote in his report. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/04/03/indiana-hoosiers-basketball-point-guard-xavier-johnson-arrested/7262363001/

So he was driving down Walnut by Denny's when the cop was on College saw him doing 90. X turned right onto 45/46 bypass then right into his apartment complex. The cop followed him and saw him changing seats with the passenger sitting behind him. 

That didn't happen. No way that scenario happened.

9 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I've yet to figure that one out too. Maybe that little turn around area by where steak & shake used to be

Yes, I just noticed recently the cut-through from Verve to steak and shake is old state road 37.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

You know the first quote wasn't said that way. Not that intent, and was an off the record analogy for something else.

That was his exact quote! The video is available to watch. The intent, I agree with. He was asked about dealing with stress. However, the thought of a man using that analogy, is a bit questionable. I don't believe doing an interview with Connie Chung w/NBC, was necessarily off the record. 

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

While it wasn't meant to actually imply rape (and he clarified it right away in that interview), it wasn't an off the record analogy.  That was a taped interview with Connie Chung.  Edit:  This echoes jk34 who was posting at the same time as I was.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-04-29-sp-2445-story.html

Indiana University basketball Coach Bob Knight, who told NBC’s Connie Chung, “I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it,” has said his remarks were misinterpreted.

Knight, in an interview televised Monday night, added: “That’s just an old term that you’re going to use. The plane’s down, so you have no control over it. I’m not talking about the act of rape. Don’t misinterpret me. But what I’m talking about is something happens to you, so you have to handle it--now.”

16 minutes ago, jk34 said:

That was his exact quote! The video is available to watch. The intent, I agree with. He was asked about dealing with stress. However, the thought of a man using that analogy, is a bit questionable. I don't believe doing an interview with Connie Chung w/NBC, was necessarily off the record. 

I know it's exact, but it wasn't a comment about rape. it was posed as an off the record statement to get the point across, but it was also sensitive in its nature. Chung agreed and then broadcast it. 

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

While it wasn't meant to actually imply rape (and he clarified it right away in that interview), it wasn't an off the record analogy.  That was a taped interview with Connie Chung.  Edit:  This echoes jk34 who was posting at the same time as I was.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-04-29-sp-2445-story.html

Indiana University basketball Coach Bob Knight, who told NBC’s Connie Chung, “I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it,” has said his remarks were misinterpreted.

Knight, in an interview televised Monday night, added: “That’s just an old term that you’re going to use. The plane’s down, so you have no control over it. I’m not talking about the act of rape. Don’t misinterpret me. But what I’m talking about is something happens to you, so you have to handle it--now.”

Just because it ended up saved in the edit doesn't mean that it wasn't delivered as off the record.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Just because it ended up saved in the edit doesn't mean that it wasn't delivered as off the record.

It was an interview and came out of Bob Knight’s mouth. Not sure how there is any other way to look at it other than it was an insensitive and poor analogy used. It wasn’t cool then and would have gotten him fired in today’s world 

14 hours ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Do you, or anyone think that this incident has caused ANYONE on the team to lose respect for X?

I'll vote H#$l no it hasn't. about two will say what the heck bro, the four will say....... OH NO YOU DIDN'T ! ! muahahaha.. the rest will say, oh snap! 

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I tend to agree, that’s why I said leave it up to Woody. If the team didn’t embrace him, it makes the decision easier. I suspect, you are correct, but I’d also hope the players would have some maturity and realize this is real life, and their choices have impact and learn something vicariously.

Something I learned as a youngster, learn from others mistakes, make less of your own.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

And herein lies the bigger issues... I won't pretend to know what the other players think or how they reacted to this. It wouldn't shock me if they were "too cool to stand up." One of many interesting aspects of this board are the diversity in experiences. The wide ranging disciplinary actions proposed is an example of that.

One of many things I've harped on for more than a hot minute is program culture. Having teammates and others view this as "no big deal, just college kids being college kids" speaks to the lack of the right culture to me. Here is where I'm coming from with this.

I was with a unit that I thought was awesome and had great culture. We took turns getting in trouble but getting out of it because we were "above the law." It wasn't until I transferred to a unit that actually had culture did I realize the difference. If we have teammates not caring what X has done we're not close to the culture we need to have. Accountability, even in small matters carries a lot of weight. Integrity (doing the right thing when nobody is watching) and trust are tied into these small acts. I'm not saying he needs to be kicked off the team but he definitely needs to get his act together to push the program forward. He needs to do better.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

You all are lucky! I didn't get a ride. I had to walk... (yes, I was an idiot for breaking the law that close to the cop shop)

My brother-in-law was at a bar close to where here lived and realized he was too drunk to drive, so he decided to walk home. He was arrested for drunk walking (public intoxication). Sometimes when you try to do the right thing it turns out wrong.

44 minutes ago, cthomas said:

My brother-in-law was at a bar close to where here lived and realized he was too drunk to drive, so he decided to walk home. He was arrested for drunk walking (public intoxication). Sometimes when you try to do the right thing it turns out wrong.

Got myself into a pickle at good ole Vincennes University one night, after last call, in a Hardees parking lot (Mushroom and swiss was the best drunk burger EVER!), after doing some doughnuts. It was a normal January night, high winds, ice storm following the river and about 5 degrees.

Cop rolls up - YOu boys been drinking? No way officer. .. Are you SURE you havn't been drinking. Not a drop sir. ... Ok boys I am going to have you blow in this tube right here and............ SIR, we are drunker than hell.

He said he had suspected, and he would allows us to walk back to the dorm. umm sir that's like 10 blocks away... OK, I am going to have you blow in this tube ri........ no need sir, we are on our way NOW ! ! !  

Dang that was a cold walk. (and great policing !)