Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

19 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

Oh yes. Maybe he should pay for the stop sign he took out too.

Wait…he didn’t hit a stop sign… and changed seats when the car was stopped. Did it mention he drove more erratically after the lights came? Sounds like he made two quick turns over like 0.5 miles to an apartment complex? You’re right we should lock him up for good.

OR…. Is this Lou Marrioti and you saw all this firsthand. Because then you could clear up a lot for us and we wouldn’t need to guess anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mistake.  He disregarded the stop sign while continuing at a high rate of speed. Does that make it better for you?

My mistake.  He disregarded the stop sign while continuing at a high rate of speed. Does that make it better for you?

Uh…yeah.

I disregarded several stop signs on campus for four years. Never plowed one over though. That, would certainly be erratic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Have you ever seen people in that park at 3am? I’m not buying that. 

Exactly.  Maybe a few homeless dudes walking around.  And there are no "pedestrians" in that area.  It's relatively desolate, minimal sidewalks, and construction.  I walked it to the Hampton Inn late at night.  It was actually kinda scary how alone it is.  

5 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

If he was going at a hight rate of speed where that stop sign was, there would be a lot of damage to parked cars.  Not much room for a "high rate of speed."  He blew of the stop sign in a parking lot.  Newsflash, I do that too because I can.  

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Have you ever seen people in that park at 3am? I’m not buying that. 

I know the location and have drove past it several times but by no means visit the area lol.  I 100% believe their would be people in that area and walking around though.

17 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

This issue has nothing to do with winning or losing. Indiana will do about the same next year whether Xavier stays or doesn't stay.

There are two relevant questions. How do the courts handle it and how does the coach handle it. Monroe County courts will not hang a felony charge around the neck of a motorist under these facts. These prosecutors will not do that. And, it has nothing do with Xavier being an IU athlete. They handle dozens of virtually identical cases every year. This case will be handled exactly like all others. Unless there was a bona police chase or some other aggravating circumstances, the resisting arrest charge is dropped. Then it comes down to the speeding charge. The parties will settle on some level of speeding infraction depending on how reliable the police report is deemed to be. Xavier will pay a fine of some kind. Depending on his driving record, his license could be suspended. That's how the legal case will be resolved. The legal part of it will be over relatively soon.

So then it comes down to the coach. Mike Woodson is not thinking about winning or losing when it comes to off-court behavior. He proved that with the way he handled the violation of team rules before the Northwestern game.  Xavier getting arrested during the off-season because of traffic violations has nothing to do with team rules. Woodson is thinking about the team and the individual. How can they best learn from this. Is sending Xavier on his way the best way to teach him and the team or does he think he can teach him and the team his way by keeping him on? Anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's. But as has been noted, the longer it goes on without a dismissal makes a dismissal less likely.

Woody should just make X mow his lawn this summer and leave it at that.  May as well get something good out of all this.    :)

11 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

This issue has nothing to do with winning or losing. Indiana will do about the same next year whether Xavier stays or doesn't stay.

There are two relevant questions. How do the courts handle it and how does the coach handle it. Monroe County courts will not hang a felony charge around the neck of a motorist under these facts. These prosecutors will not do that. And, it has nothing do with Xavier being an IU athlete. They handle dozens of virtually identical cases every year. This case will be handled exactly like all others. Unless there was a bona police chase or some other aggravating circumstances, the resisting arrest charge is dropped. Then it comes down to the speeding charge. The parties will settle on some level of speeding infraction depending on how reliable the police report is deemed to be. Xavier will pay a fine of some kind. Depending on his driving record, his license could be suspended. That's how the legal case will be resolved. The legal part of it will be over relatively soon.

So then it comes down to the coach. Mike Woodson is not thinking about winning or losing when it comes to off-court behavior. He proved that with the way he handled the violation of team rules before the Northwestern game.  Xavier getting arrested during the off-season because of traffic violations has nothing to do with team rules. Woodson is thinking about the team and the individual. How can they best learn from this. Is sending Xavier on his way the best way to teach him and the team or does he think he can teach him and the team his way by keeping him on? Anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's. But as has been noted, the longer it goes on without a dismissal makes a dismissal less likely.

I agree with a lot of what you posted. However, I would hope Woody includes getting arrested in his team rules. "Not getting arrested" would be pretty high up on my list of team rules. (i.e. bringing discredit upon yourself, the IU men's basketball program, etc.) Building culture is difficult, continuing to have setbacks because players compound dumb decisions on top of dumb decisions makes it that much harder. X, being a senior and the pg, has younger players looking up to him and teammates counting on his decision making. It's extremely easy to brush it off as a bad decision but it continues to happen.

16 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Woody should just make X mow his lawn this summer and leave it at that.  May as well get something good out of all this.    :)

I wouldn't be against Woody attaching him to his hip for the summer. A lot of opportunities to build trust during that time!

This thread has reached levels even I couldn’t have ever imagined. Lol

I get the overreaction, I also get the underreaction.

Some people have to learn life lessons the hard way. I never get speeding tickets anymore. Haven’t had one for 15 years. I had 3 or 4 during my college days.

The not stopping for police is quite serious. This lesson isn’t a joke. He needs to learn this is not ok, ever.

Let woody and Indiana judge his character and leave that up to them. Maybe a person like Woody believing in him ‘could’ make all the difference for X for the rest of his life. If this was my kid (I’d like to think my boys would know better, but who knows), I would want them to have a strict lesson taught and be given the opportunity to earn the teams trust back if the team wants them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
Yea reading these comments gives me a headache and I was definitely one when news broke was upset about it. For me it basically just boils down to I expect more from our players. I know they are kids and stupid mistakes will happen but I also believe playing for a prestigious university should add some responsibility. X is a seasoned veteran he needs to be a leader things like this no matter how you split it are embarrassing. I know other big time programs also have players who do worse. Just represent iu on and off the court and x and this team failed to meet those expectations off and barely met the bare minimum on. This is in Woodson and staff and the legal systems hands. What went on here 30 years ago with knight are irrelevant and so are all the stupid things all of us did as kids imo. Players especially experienced players need to be better. If x was a freshmen bench player I would be disappointed just not ad much. Bottom line quit being stupid and start leading this program in a positive direction!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

It's an ~1100 foot stretch of road. Just how high of a rate of speed could he have achieved? 34? maybe 37? 

X has got to be reading all of this and wondering how all of us have nothing better to do, while the (his) world puts him through a Mass spectrometer. 

Also he had the wrong cologne on. When we jumped from ran a stop sign to ran OVER a stop sign, there was credibility lost in this telephone game.

29 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

opportunity to earn the teams trust back

Do you, or anyone think that this incident has caused ANYONE on the team to lose respect for X?

I'll vote H#$l no it hasn't. about two will say what the heck bro, the four will say....... OH NO YOU DIDN'T ! ! muahahaha.. the rest will say, oh snap! 

26 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Some people have to learn life lessons the hard way. I never get speeding tickets anymore. Haven’t had one for 15 years. I had 3 or 4 during my college days.

The not stopping for police is quite serious. This lesson isn’t a joke. He needs to learn this is not ok, ever.

Let woody and Indiana judge his character and leave that up to them. Maybe a person like Woody believing in him ‘could’ make all the difference for X for the rest of his life. If this was my kid (I’d like to think my boys would know better, but who knows), I would want them to have a strict lesson taught and be given the opportunity to earn the teams trust back if the team wants them.

Thank you. College kids do stupid things, it’s like people live in a moral judgmental vacuum. In context, which actually matters, no one was hurt, no one failed a breathalyzer, no one had drugs, it’s was the early morning post midnight hours, there weren’t other cars / traffic around, and yeah, he’s a college kid, who has been giving back in the community, who has been showing growth, who deserves more than being kicked to the curb with knee jerk acceptance of a cop’s account. Let the kid have his day in court — it is what the U will do, because this is a legal matter and it’s the right thing to do. Let all the facts come out, and think of the kid (yes, he’s a kid, like all “college kids”) as your college kid. Would you want him to have a chance, learn from it, or just kick him to the curb. Damn, the moral righteousness and immediate judgment just floors me sometimes 

Also I see the argument being made that before social media this would not be a big deal. I disagree I think x is lucky this program is down. Under knight this program was duke today or Kansas today popular. If Damon Bailey or aj Guyton or insert whatever major starter you want and major news outlets would be running the story and knight who's fame was probably larger or as large as coach k would be under the microscope to see how he handled the situation. Just my opinion but I don't think some younger posters on here realize that. Imo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Thank you. College kids do stupid things, it’s like people live in a moral judgmental vacuum. In context, which actually matters, no one was hurt, no one failed a breathalyzer, no one had drugs, it’s was the early morning post midnight hours, there weren’t other cars / traffic around, and yeah, he’s a college kid, who has been giving back in the community, who has been showing growth, who deserves more than being kicked to the curb with knee jerk acceptance of a cop’s account. Let the kid have his day in court — it is what the U will do, because this is a legal matter and it’s the right thing to do. Let all the facts come out, and think of the kid (yes, he’s a kid, like all “college kids”) as your college kid. Would you want him to have a chance, learn from it, or just kick him to the curb. Damn, the moral righteousness and immediate judgment just floors me sometimes 

Right, for me it comes down to intent. Seems like he had no intent to hurt others so I think the school/team/staff/fans should be forgiving. It doesn’t change my opinion that I think he needs to grow up quickly and needs an adult in his life to help him, maybe one of the staff perhaps.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Amen doc.

Amen.

Do you, or anyone think that this incident has caused ANYONE on the team to lose respect for X?
I'll vote H#$l no it hasn't. about two will say what the heck bro, the four will say....... OH NO YOU DIDN'T ! ! muahahaha.. the rest will say, oh snap! 

I tend to agree, that’s why I said leave it up to Woody. If the team didn’t embrace him, it makes the decision easier. I suspect, you are correct, but I’d also hope the players would have some maturity and realize this is real life, and their choices have impact and learn something vicariously.

Something I learned as a youngster, learn from others mistakes, make less of your own.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app