Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

22 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Knight tossed 3 guys: Baker, senior Jim Roberson and sophomore Don Cox. Baker was the “best” player of the 3, but was certainly expendable by his production (or lack thereof).

Only player I’ve ever known Knight to send packing that was a major contributor was Mike Giomi.

Yeah, I'm not getting the Baker love.  He wasn't going to get on the court hardly at all.  When Wittman came in the next year, that gave IU Carter, Wittman, and Woodson at the guard/wing positsions.  They combined for 106 minutes per game.

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Calloway transferred because he didn't like Knight.

I would say it went beyond that.  Calloway went being an every day 30 minute/game starter at IU for two and a half years to a guy who was on the bench with dwindling minutes to a guy who was so buried on the bench he couldn't get in the game.  He was getting 30+ minutes for 2/3rds of his junior year and ended the year not even getting into IU's first round NCAA loss to Richmond.  He certainly may have not liked Knight, but I think it was abundantly clear to him that he wasn't going to play at IU any more.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I would say it went beyond that.  Calloway went being an every day 30 minute/game starter at IU for two and a half years to a guy who was on the bench with dwindling minutes to a guy who was so buried on the bench he couldn't get in the game.  He was getting 30+ minutes for 2/3rds of his junior year and ended the year not even getting into IU's first round NCAA loss to Richmond.  He certainly may have not liked Knight, but I think it was abundantly clear to him that he wasn't going to play at IU any more.

I'm pretty sure he started the championship game against Syracuse. He hit the game-winning shot in the NCAA's against Cincy

31 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Calloway transferred because he didn't like Knight.

After the incident with Wilkerson, Knight had a team meeting where he told the whole team what happened. He then told the team that it was a democracy and they were going to vote whether Sherron should be kept or not. Then he said remember I get to vote and my vote counts more than yours. He was then voted off the team.

Pat Knight went back to his apartment that night and told his roommate (a current Indy radio host) the secret about Sherron and told him to not tell anyone. The roommate went into his bedroom, called a family friend who was a local Indy sports anchor, and said I have news that no one else will have tonight, what will you give me for it? He got front row tickets for the Jordan & the Bulls vs the Pacers the next week. Channel 6 was the only news station that had the Sherron story on the 11 o'clock news that night. 

After the incident, Wilkerson stayed at IU through the year and took a job driving the cart at the IU range picking up balls.  My friends and I made a bet that whoever could hit the cart with a drive would get a 6 pack from each of the rest of us.  I drank nice that night

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

You are right. I knew that. Don't know why I wrote Michigan.

No biggie.The guy I was talking about was Frank Baines.He was a Jeffersonville product and a good friend to Tommy Baker. Hell of a player and a great guy.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I'm pretty sure he started the championship game against Syracuse. He hit the game-winning shot in the NCAA's against Cincy

I am talking about the year after that, the 87-88 season.  He didn’t transfer the year after the title, it was the season after that,

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Yes he did but that was his sophomore year. His junior year at the end of the season he wasn't seeing much time.  Also hf way through to that year Keith Smart was benched for awhile as well. I watched the IU/PU game from 88 and Calloway never saw the court.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes he did but that was his sophomore year. His junior year at the end of the season he wasn't seeing much time.  Also hf way through to that year Keith Smart was benched for awhile as well. I watched the IU/PU game from 88 and Calloway never saw the court.

Yes you are correct all the years are running together these days 

It seems some of the people saying Woody won't do anything in this X situation, are the same one's who couldn't believe he "sacrificed" our tournament chances, by suspending his players a game!

Running a program with 18-23 year olds, is similar to running a daycare! These kids are from all walks of life, right and wrong has a different definition for them. In no way, am I  defending X's actions.

41 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes you are correct all the years are running together these days 

The bad thing for me is that I can remember things back then about college basketball than I can about the last 10 years.  I can pretty much tell you who played in every final four from 76 on but have more trouble from 2014 on.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:43 AM, WayneShadowIU said:

Holy straw man. You’re making this worse than it is by using some rhetorical tricks. Henry Ruggs, for example. There’s quite a bit of difference between driving 90 (which I am willing to best most of us have done) and driving 156 (which I’m willing to bet none of us have done). Your equivocation to this and other incidents is leading to quite the overreaction.

Like I said, I couldn't care less what anyone here thinks, but at least be fair.  I'm willing to bet (speaking of straw men....the irony) most of us have NOT driven 90MPH on a street like Walnut, and you completely ignore the felony side of this as if what happened was a simple traffic ticket.  Most of us have not evaded police nor tried to throw someone else under the bus to take our bullet when we drive 55+ MPH over the posted speed limit on a road with residences and businesses on it.   But hey...he's just a college kid.  We've all done stupid things.  Whatever.    It's also not his first arrest since he's been in college, although it IS his first felony.   He was just suspended 7 weeks ago.

At what point is enough....enough?

And Chris, the racial component is also a straw man argument.  None of what happened as documented in any charges happened AFTER the police knew what color he was.   It was dark and he was in a black car.  No way to see who was driving nor who was trying to evade.  It was about what the driver did and how he behaved,  Not what color he was.  Say what you will about the Bloomington police.  I don't see anything racial about this.   That can be true and I get it, but he was never pulled over nor identified until well after the documented events which led to charges had occurred.  It could have been the Cookie Monster for all they knew.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

It could have been the Cookie Monster for all they knew.

I hope to God that the officers had ruled out the Cookie Monster before they got to the car.

That said, if the Cookie Monster could consistently knock down threes, get him to Bloomington and get him a NIL deal with Chip-ahoy.

2 hours ago, OliviaPope40 said:

My dad and I were trying to figure out what block of North Walnut.

I have zero clue.  But once you get north of 17th street it's pretty barren.  Could easily hit 90 in Charger there.  Plus there are apartments back behind the Hampton Inn.  

Everyone has sped, but this isn't just speeding so let's stop acting like he was going 40 in a 30.  I think the highest speed limit on Walnut is 40 and he was going 90, then tried to get away, then actively tried to avoid responsibility.  That series of progressively worse decision making would get him a few game suspension from me for a first incident but it isn't.  If he stayed on the team he'd be on at least his 3rd chance at IU.

He's a 5th year senior, we should expect him to be smarter than this and setting better examples.  Obviously he isn't.  At some point enough has to be enough and a message sent.

RMK once said something about butt meeting bench and sending a message to the brain, clearly not with Xavier Johnson though.