Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea I'm not understanding the "who hasn't gone 90 on Walnut" group. I definitely haven't. I'll be in Bloomington today. Where is the best spot on Walnut to hit 90? Will finally get to turn on the sports mode. 

North of the bypass.

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

He does have a ticket pending for doing 91 on I69 back in October. I just got back from Sam's, I hit 80 without realizing it in my truck. But I am firmly in the opinion that 90 should never be hit on any part of Walnut. I'm not sure I believe anyone hit 90 mph though. 

That's what I've been thinking 90 would be very difficult to hit on Walnut anywhere below 17th

1 minute ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

One thing to consider about law enforcement nowadays and letting people off easy. An officer/trooper’s handshake  are tied with the dash/body cams used today. The commander can look at a live feed of each officer at any given time so they are under a microscope 24/7.  Just 10 years ago an officer would have more discretion in letting someone off the hook if they so desired. Those days are gone now for reasons I won’t get into. Just trying to addd a little perspective. End of the day keep the discipline in house and move on. 

Outstanding take. Those cameras confirm the credibility of the vast, overwhelming majority of honorable police officers. 

1 hour ago, iu eyedoc said:

Two words, Jay and Edwards

Yep, Jay is a great example and as I posted earlier the Alaska smoking pot incident is another example. Someone posted that the liars were kicked off and truth tellers were kept, in regards to the Alaska incident, but that is not my recollection/experience of what happened. The stars stayed and some replaceable guys, some of which Knight was tired of anyway, were booted.  

I will add and strongly stress, however, that RMK absolutely did make kids go to class, the program was no where  close (not in the same stratosphere) to being like the Wild West 70’s/80’s teams such as the Miami football  or UNLV basketball squads, etc etc.
Knight ran a clean program, didn’t pay/cheat for recruits and ran a  relatively very (very) tight ship, and we really did stand above nearly every program in that regard, but it was not the 100% pure program that some remember with crimson glasses. Kids partied and made mistakes but most of the errors of youth were able to be taken care of quietly back then.

1 hour ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

One thing to consider about law enforcement nowadays and letting people off easy. An officer/trooper’s hands  are tied with the dash/body cams used today. The commander can look at a live feed of each officer at any given time so they are under a microscope 24/7.  Just 10 years ago an officer would have more discretion in letting someone off the hook if they so desired. Those days are gone now for reasons I won’t get into. Just trying to addd a little perspective. End of the day keep the discipline in house and move on. 

I'll tell you what.  I am so glad the cop that broke up a HS party a few years ago when the kids where Jrs. basically made them call their parents and let them go home with them.  Everyone could have had major ramifications regarding their extra curricular activities.  As the cop said, "I was 18 once.  Have a good night."     

3 hours ago, jumpshot53 said:

Dakich is posting on twitter,  laughing at the people saying that RMK had a "no nonsense policy" for his players.  DD said Knight ALWAYS kept talented players instead of dismissing them from the team.  I don't know where people got the idea IU players were squeaky clean in the good old days...lol.  Some posters sound like they would only be happy with a team of Stepford robots representing Indiana basketball.   Where did all misinformation about RMK come from?  He was a GREAT coach, but he never insisted on a team full of choir boys.

The myth of Knight having a team of choir boys in part came from the demonization of players that left the IU program.....that someone they were without character which is why they couldn't play for Knight.  Lawrence Funderburke, Neil Reed, Luke Recker, Jason Collier....were given the 'character issue' label after they left IU.  Funderburke was labeled as a malcontent....Reed was a 'liar' and an 'instigator' even when the video evidence came out....Recker was a 'traitor'.....Collier was 'too soft' to play for Knight.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

Yep, Jay is a great example and as I posted earlier the Alaska smoking pot incident is another example. Someone posted that the liars were kicked off and truth tellers were kept, in regards to the Alaska incident, but that is not my recollection/experience of what happened. The stars stayed and some replaceable guys, some of which Knight was tired of anyway, were booted.  

That's true.  I believe Ray Tolbert was involved.....and he stayed. 

7 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

some replaceable guys, some of which Knight was tired of anyway, were booted.  

One of those "replaceable guys" was McDonald's All American Tommy Baker, the point guard, who came to IU the same time as Ray Tolbert. Baker played overseas during the summer on an All Star team that included future NBA stars Magic Johnson and Darnell Valentine. After getting booted by Knight, he played for Eastern Michigan where he was All-Conference. He was drafted by San Antonio but never played in the NBA (he was only 6').  In a sense all college players are replaceable since eventually they graduate or otherwise leave. Baker had not reached his potential at IU, but he was a pretty good player. Eventually he would have been replaced by Isiah Thomas who arrived a year later. But if Baker had stayed, he would have been a member of the 1981 championship team and even as back-up to Thomas would have been remember fondly rather than as so dismissively by brumdog45.

10 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I will add and strongly stress, however, that RMK absolutely did make kids go to class, the program was no where  close (not in the same stratosphere) to being like the Wild West 70’s/80’s teams such as the Miami football  or UNLV basketball squads, etc etc.
Knight ran a clean program, didn’t pay/cheat for recruits and ran a  relatively very (very) tight ship, and we really did stand above nearly every program in that regard, but it was not the 100% pure program that some remember with crimson glasses. Kids partied and made mistakes but most of the errors of youth were able to be taken care of quietly back then.

This x1000. There’s a difference between running a clean program and being so puritanical that you shoot yourselves in the foot never having a chance of winning. I don’t know what the exact line is, but each program needs to find what they think represents their values. As personally flawed as Knight was, he ran a program that was exemplary in being respectable on and off the court, even though we can nitpick individual decisions.  

Whether we’re talking the NW incident or this XJ thing I want Woody to run a successful program that holds people accountable. He need not adhere to some rigid code of honor that kicks guys out for a certain set list of transgressions. 

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I suspect XJ’s treatment will depend a lot on the conditions Woody set out after the NW incident.  As an isolated incident, I don’t think this warrants much more than a 1 game suspension. I’m curious to see how Woody handles it. 

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

One of those "replaceable guys" was McDonald's All American Tommy Baker, the point guard, who came to IU the same time as Ray Tolbert. Baker played overseas during the summer on an All Star team that included future NBA stars Magic Johnson and Darnell Valentine. After getting booted by Knight, he played for Eastern Michigan where he was All-Conference. He was drafted by San Antonio but never played in the NBA (he was only 6').  In a sense all college players are replaceable since eventually they graduate or otherwise leave. Baker had not reached his potential at IU, but he was a pretty good player. Eventually he would have been replaced by Isiah Thomas who arrived a year later. But if Baker had stayed, he would have been a member of the 1981 championship team and even as back-up to Thomas would have been remember fondly rather than as so dismissively by brumdog45.

Eastern Ky not Mich.

I had a friend at work that played with him there.

23 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

Whether JHS is ready or not should not enter into the punishment equation. And as Woodson demonstrated, as he should have, at NW, he made his decision irrespective of it's immediate impact on the team. I see a lot of running the stadium and a suspension to start the season in his future.

Huh?  I never said just because JHS is coming in that X should be suspended.  I just suggested that X should be suspended and it puts his starting position in question. I would love to see JHS take advantage and run with it.