Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

Message boards specialize in "what if's." That's not a criticism -- I enjoy "what if's." 

If you read this thread it's an interesting, pretty comprehensive litany of "what if's." That's why opposing viewpoints that posit different "what if's" in this thread come up with very different, but well-constructed conclusions.

It will be up to Woody, Dolson, Whitten, and the credible evidence to fully understand the "what actually happened."

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

A lot to unpack here. First I'm not sure we do know all the facts. Some people who were there are saying another car with a gun was at a stoplight next to X's car, there were some words exchanged or something like that. 

Henry Ruggs was driving 156 and was so drunk he didn't know what happened. X wasn't drunk. Driving 30 and hitting someone can kill them. 

The deputy sheriffs in this town are like barney fifes. They don't have to have any training or education. Do I think the cop knew a black person was driving the car, probably not but he knew it was a college kid who he wanted to mess with. 

I'm not sure this is a Mike Woodson decision, this might be a Scott Dolson, President Whitten, and Woodson decision. We've had some football players make some really bad decisions lately, beating up girlfriend, having pot in the car, and running from the police, none of them were dismissed. 

I'm guessing the reaction from the board is different if this was Miller Kopp. But I understand the get off my lawn pov and everyone gets to have their opinion on this. We all agree it was one of the stupidest things a player has done. 

This. All of this. 

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Indiana is either a blue blood program or we're just another garbage team that tolerates garbage behavior and allows kids to disrespect the uniform they wear time and time again. 

I'll point to 22 years of tolerating crap from this program and what do we have to show for it?

Do things change if we have something to show for the last 2 decades? We aren't winning like a blue blood program so things like this are far more under a microscope. If we were playing this past weekend instead of watching and hearing about the all blue blood final four, how do we handle situations like this? If we're a blue blood that has established a culture of winning but we waive our hands at any potential program issues/violations or off court player incidents become a 24-48 hour story that goes away b/c we're back to winning....do we care as much? I'm not excusing X's actions here, it's just fact that off court issues and not winning is by far the least tolerable combination. 

10 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I’m sorry were any of you young or never really lived? Things happen and thankfully no one got hurt. It’s not robbery it’s not assault or rape. It’s a dumb kid doing a dumb thing. And yes even if he’s 22 (don’t know how old he is) he’s still still a kid figuring things out. 

At UNC I saw a basketball literally slap a woman in open public and I got in trouble for yelling at that kid.  Perspective people. In the course of this chess game we call life, sometimes we shine and sometimes we mess up. He messed up. But if Woodson believes in the family mantra then you don’t kick someone out for something like this. You discipline and hopefully he grows. 

No one is perfect  and if you think you are….. well you  probably haven’t lived or you don’t have anyone in your life to stand up to you and call you out. 

I haven't done anything this dumb.  After trying to get away and then let someone else take the fall, he left dumb in the rear view mirror.

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Do things change if we have something to show for the last 2 decades? We aren't winning like a blue blood program so things like this are far more under a microscope. If we were playing this past weekend instead of watching and hearing about the all blue blood final four, how do we handle situations like this? If we're a blue blood that has established a culture of winning but we waive our hands at any potential program issues/violations or off court player incidents become a 24-48 hour story that goes away b/c we're back to winning....do we care as much? I'm not excusing X's actions here, it's just fact that off court issues and not winning is by far the least tolerable combination. 

As others have pointed out Bluebloods have problems too. Duke had issues this year, Gonzaga had issues. Even when Bob Knight was here and the culture was great, we still had some knuckleheads get in trouble. 

7 hours ago, WayneShadowIU said:

Holy straw man. You’re making this worse than it is by using some rhetorical tricks. Henry Ruggs, for example. There’s quite a bit of difference between driving 90 (which I am willing to best most of us have done) and driving 156 (which I’m willing to bet none of us have done). Your equivocation to this and other incidents is leading to quite the overreaction.

Driving 90 down Walnut is extensively different than driving 90 down an interstate.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Youve never sped? Youve never done something youre not proud of more than once?

I haven't been reckless then tried getting away then tried to switch seats so someone else takes the fall, no I haven't.  That goes beyond simple speeding.

People trying to downplay how stupid this was has me waiting to Chris Crocker to cry leave him alone.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I haven't done anything this dumb.  After trying to get away and then let someone else take the fall, he left dumb in the rear view mirror.

Yea I'm not understanding the "who hasn't gone 90 on Walnut" group. I definitely haven't. I'll be in Bloomington today. Where is the best spot on Walnut to hit 90? Will finally get to turn on the sports mode. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

That's what I'm saying we don't know what happened but you want to convict him 24 hours later. The day where we just take a cop's word for something is long gone. We need to see dashcam footage, we need to see if he has him on radar going 90, or was that just his estimate. Is there bodycam footage? A lot of unknowns here.

Time out.  I don't want to convict him.  I am more of the not a BFD camp.  Just incredibly stupid and makes me question IU's academic standards.  :)