Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Then it’s a good thing it’s not up to you! 

It is sad to this old IU fan that I see our fan base cares more about winning  than the integrity of the program.  It is just all about winning and not caring about who represents this program.

I’ve said it before and will continue to say it- thank God that the internet wasn’t around in the glory days of IU. The players did so many “bad things” than anyone could imagine. It was not available to the public. I’m a big believer in getting all the information and keeping things in perspective.
I disagree to a extent. The small stuff that gets debated on this board probably stayed hidden. This situation would not it would be out. Maybe also law enforcement hid stuff for the teams sake by letting kids off? That I agree with. I will refuse to believe knight allowed stuff like this go unpunished though. I think he wanted leadership not this. I am sure there are lots of stories of drinking and smoking pot but I doubt any charges or arrests were buried to save face

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Xavier being one of the star players on the team, it'd be interesting to see how CMW would deal with this issue. The way the coach handles this can make or break the team. Hopefully X learns his lesson, gets back on track, and becomes a positive force on the team as a leader. 

Just now, mbredenk101 said:

You can have integrity in a program or organization while still working with troubled youth. You don't have to run a program and only give spots to prototypical choir boys...

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

It depends what comes out of this situation but this will be his second problem in a year.

Just now, IU Scott said:

It is sad to this old IU fan that I see our fan base cares more about winning ng than the integrity of the program.  It is just all about winning and not caring about who represents this program.

Lol man we’re talking about a reckless driving arrest. He’s not Aaron Hernandez. Do you think Kansas or North Carolina would dismiss their best point guard for a reckless driving charge? Cmon.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol man we’re talking about a reckless driving arrest. He’s not Aaron Hernandez. Do you think Kansas or North Carolina would dismiss their best point guard for a reckless driving charge? Cmon.

I don't care what those programs do because IU should have higher standards than those programs do.

I was dreading coming over to BTB after I saw this on Twitter but the discussion is largely fair and level-headed. Thanks to @stuhoo and other mods, I’m sure, but thanks to the lay posters, too.

As someone who’s worked in student conduct and dealt with my fair share of athletes, I’ll add a couple thoughts:

1. Without all the facts, we can’t say definitively, but even with the one-game NW suspension as a prior, my strong hunch is this probably falls FAR short of deserving a lengthy suspension. The season’s far, maybe he sits a game or two.

2. As stated up thread, this isn’t good, but we also don’t know how bad it really might be yet.

3. College students, even really good folks, do unwise things. I know I did then.

4. don’t assume that discipline that happens in private is weak or “getting off easy.”

Just now, lillurk said:

I was dreading coming over to BTB after I saw this on Twitter but the discussion is largely fair and level-headed. Thanks to @stuhoo and other mods, I’m sure, but thanks to the lay posters, too.

As someone who’s worked in student conduct and dealt with my fair share of athletes, I’ll add a couple thoughts:

1. Without all the facts, we can’t say definitively, but even with the one-game NW suspension as a prior, my strong hunch is this probably falls FAR short of deserving a lengthy suspension. The season’s far, maybe he sits a game or two.

2. As stated up thread, this isn’t good, but we also don’t know how bad it really might be yet.

3. College students, even really good folks, do unwise things. I know I did then.

4. don’t assume that discipline that happens in private is weak or “getting off easy.”

The mods have not had to hide a single post, even with many different opinions.

BtownBanners posters are, as usual, outstanding.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't care what those programs do because IU should have higher standards than those programs do.

Even in these days of higher levels of semi-professionalism, college coaches are educators. CMW clearly sees himself that way. IU can have high standards and still have Xavier Johnson after this, assuming there’s not some really bad ish hiding here.