Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Thad Matta to Butler

Just now, Hovadipo said:

How is it a stupid narrative if there are coaches that are actually against NIL? And I'm not even talking about Dane.

Coaches can be against it but coaches also know they don’t have a choice. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

No clue but it’s the way things are and it’s not going away. Guys will adapt. It would also be interesting to know if he’s against NIL or the way Texas A&M is doing things. One is legal the other not so much and some fans/players don’t know the difference. Time will tell but there is zero chance a college coach would die on that hill. 

wait I am so confused. You don't know if Dane (despite some evidence he in fact is) is against it but yet you think the narrative that coaches are against NIL is stupid?

not sure I am following.

6 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

wait I am so confused. You don't know if Dane (despite some evidence he in fact is) is against it but yet you think the narrative that coaches are against NIL is stupid?

not sure I am following.

I’ll say it very clearly. No coach is going to lose their career on that hill. Is it possible he made a mistake with a recruit early on in the NIL era. Sure it is but coaches adapt. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I’ll say it very clearly. No coach is going to lose their career on that hill. Is it possible he made a mistake with a recruit early on in the NIL era. Sure it is but coaches adapt. 

okay....

but the narrative that coaches are against NIL is still true? and like Hova said if that is the case how is the narrative that they are against it stupid?

Just now, IUc2016 said:

okay....

but the narrative that coaches are against NIL is still true? and like Hova said if that is the case how is the opinion that they are against it stupid?

Because opinions can change… it’s a truly shocking concept. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

lol well of course. But to change means they had to at one point be against it :)

So not such a stupid narrative after all I guess

Just now, IUc2016 said:

lol well of course. But to change means they had to at one point be against it :)

So not such a stupid narrative after all I guess

Sure but to say guys are against something when that might not still be the case would be a false narrative. I get it’s all hypothetical. I just know how coaches are and how they think. 

7 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

And what if they haven't?

The narrative that you're calling stupid isn't a narrative. It's a fact.

Is the huge loss in optics, recruiting, or in game strategy? Not being combative, but I've not heard a current player or recruit, mention Thad Matta once. He was a very good coach, and a good guy, however the 3 guys on staff, are the type of guys these young players relate to. 

TJD gave a mention to Matta

IMG_1649107771.452964.jpg

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

21 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Field of 68 guys (highly recommend you guys listen to them. They are all college hoops junkies like us) said this. Talked about Al Durham. He was the third best player on a B1G team but could be the best player on a Big East team. You are going to see this happen a lot. 

3rd best player on a middling non-tournament B1G team and the best player on a strong Big East team.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:10 PM, ap2345 said:

The narrative that these coaches are against NIL is so stupid. 

I would agree.  There are downsides to the NIL.  And my guess is coaches who are apparently "against" the NIL are really putting it in it's rightfull place as a consideration for a recruit.  There are several factors to consider:

1) the education (for most this will end up important)

2) the program, how the player fits, the conference, competition, facilities, etc.

3) NIL opportunities.  You don't want the players to put the NIL stuff first as it could become a distraction.  I would rather have them working on their jump shots than working on NIL stuff.  

I submit that's what most "anti-NIL" coaches are thinking.  

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I would agree.  There are downsides to the NIL.  And my guess is coaches who are apparently "against" the NIL are really putting it in it's rightfull place as a consideration for a recruit.  There are several factors to consider:

1) the education (for most this will end up important)

2) the program, how the player fits, the conference, competition, facilities, etc.

3) NIL opportunities.  You don't want the players to put the NIL stuff first as it could become a distraction.  I would rather have them working on their jump shots than working on NIL stuff.  

I submit that's what most "anti-NIL" coaches are thinking.  

I agree with what you're saying but apparently Fife said something like, "forget about NIL, your scholarship should be good enough." to Filipowski and his family at the visit dinner. Then Indiana was cut shortly thereafter.

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I agree with what you're saying but apparently Fife said something like, "forget about NIL, your scholarship should be good enough." to Filipowski and his family at the visit dinner. Then Indiana was cut shortly thereafter.

Yeah.  We don't really know what was said.  And if true, maybe that was less dimplomatic than he should have been.  

I'll just say this as we are getting off topic.  I had no clue TJD was making what he was making in NIL money (as reported on these boards).  So it doesn't seem like he's over exposed and was focused on basketball and school.  But watch, some of these dudes are going to be like the Kardashians in the future.    

38 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah.  We don't really know what was said.  And if true, maybe that was less dimplomatic than he should have been.  

I'll just say this as we are getting off topic.  I had no clue TJD was making what he was making in NIL money (as reported on these boards).  So it doesn't seem like he's over exposed and was focused on basketball and school.  But watch, some of these dudes are going to be like the Kardashians in the future.    

Cupps is making more than anyone on IUs roster and he is in high school

10 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Cupps is making more than anyone on IUs roster and he is in high school

Yep....I didn't know that but looked it up and was shocked.  On3 gives his NIL a $295,000 valuation and he 377,000 followers on instagram.  His valuation is fourth highest off all high school basketball players 

https://www.on3.com/news/bronny-james-remains-on-top-of-on3-high-school-basketball-nil-rankings/