Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Thad Matta to Butler

Seems kinda strange ... 

What was that whole flap about "failing a physical" to possibly coach at IU last year? Was that even real? Or did he decide he wasn't ready for the rigors of B1G seasons and recruiting, etc. 

Or did Dolson just have his sights set on Woody?

Because given my choice between Woody and a healthy Matta, I'd take Matta six days a week and seven times on Sunday. No offense, Mike! 

When Thad was at the top of his game in Columbus, he was very, very good. 

Seems kinda strange ... 
What was that whole flap about "failing a physical" to possibly coach at IU? Was that even real? Or did he decide he wasn't ready for the rigors of B1G seasons and recruiting, etc. 
Because -- no offense to Woody -- give my choice between him and a healthy Matta, I'd take Matta six days a week and seven times on Sunday. When he was at the top of his game in Columbus, he was very, very good. 
Trust me. I hate this because I feel like this can only go bad for us. It has to

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, hoosierdogg said:

Barry Collier is 67.  Could this be a succession plan for the Butler AD position?  Matta in place for a short term to hopefully restore success on the court before hiring a longer term solution.

God I hope so.

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t wish the guy Ill will by any means but I do not want to see him restore success at Butler because it would mean yet another f up by IU.

I don't see Butler being successful has anything to do whether IU is successful.  We probably won't be recruiting the same caliber players and don't play in the same conference.

I don't see Butler being successful has anything to do whether IU is successful.  We probably won't be recruiting the same caliber players and don't play in the same conference.
You're right....their conference is much better come tournament time

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A successful Big East school an hour from IU isn’t in our best interest. 

53 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Seems kinda strange ... 

What was that whole flap about "failing a physical" to possibly coach at IU last year? Was that even real? 

IU rarely comments on message board rumors, but they released a statement after that rumor to deny it's veracity.  I remember thinking how strange that release was at the time

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

A successful Big East school an hour from IU isn’t in our best interest. 

Why would it matter. Back when we were a great program Purdue was usually really good as well.  We also had UI which is just a couple of hours away who was always good.  What other team does shouldn't effect if IU is successful or not.

Just thinking but maybe Matta didn't want to take on such a big job that IU basketball is. Maybe he didn't feel he was up to all it means to being a coach at IU. He has been the coach at Buet before and knows the pressure is less than at IU .  Also there is less outside things to do at Butler like it is at IU like all the meetings with alumni.

I believe we retained the 3 most important people moving forward. Young, energetic, and connected recruiters! Give me the combination of Hunter, Rosemond, and Walsh all day!

Wish Thad well, but most importantly,  let's see what players are coming and going. 

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Good for Butler. I don't think it's a bad look by any means for Indiana or anything of the sort. It was clear Matta wanted to get back into the game and Butler indeed needed a new look. It was the same for Xavier going back to Sean Miller. 

Agree.  I also expect that Butler knows that Matta likely isn't up to the expectations of the rigors of being on the road recruiting a lot and will expect that to come mainly from his assistants.