Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PF Arrinten Page to USC

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:
  1. Not sure what is unbelievable. We are not likely to get a four star, out of state recruit? It happens.
  2. Guessing it was facetious, but no, I do not believe that the staff in any way is expecting TJD to be back after this year.
  3. Who we get is very, very important, but as many have agreed (including you) recruiting is not judged on "who we don't get," it's judged on "who we get." And that story has not been revealed yet for 2023.

Portal=Saving grace

We hope.  But we could lose every recruiting battle there as well.  Although you’d think a Big might eventually want what TJD and Race have. 

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Portal=Saving grace

We hope.  But we could lose every recruiting battle there as well.  Although you’d think a Big might eventually want what TJD and Race have. 

• Portal
  • Reclass
  • Decommit after a coaching change (that seems to be a super-sweet spot!)

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:
  1. Not sure what is unbelievable. We are not likely to get a four star, out of state recruit? It happens.
  2. Guessing it was facetious, but no, I do not believe that the staff in any way is expecting TJD to be back after this year.
  3. Who we get is very, very important, but as many have agreed (including you) recruiting is not judged on "who we don't get," it's judged on "who we get." And that story has not been revealed yet for 2023.

1. What’s unbelievable?  Not missing 1 out of state target. Missing EVERY recruit we identified and targeted over the summer despite clear playing time, positions of need, and a supposed top end NIL program.  

2.  Mostly facetious.  But at this point, might as well give him the Oscar Tschebwe treatment .

3. And yes, with Queen and Transfer Portal, we still have a chance to save our behinds.  However, winning recruitments is important and the staff hasn’t won one is a long while.  They may want to figure out why before the transfer portal recruiting begins. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is almost unbelievable. Is this staff banking on TJD coming back again?  At this point, maybe that would be the better recruiting strategy.  

From everything I have heard that this staff couldn't have done anymore than they have in this recruitment

1 hour ago, triple said:

When I read Page's Inside the Hall interview after his IU visit, the last thing that came to mind was excitement.  I just don't think he clicked with the program.  Sometimes that's just the way it goes.  

Sounds like that his dad loved the visit bUt not the kid

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is almost unbelievable. Is this staff banking on TJD coming back again?  At this point, maybe that would be the better recruiting strategy.  

I think the staff has tried but I think recruits are thinking they will be playing behind Malik & Logan next year, Banks is 6'9 and we can always go to the Portal. 23 hasn't been the class we wanted, but it "looks" like we're in good shape for 24 & 25

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I think the staff has tried but I think recruits are thinking they will be playing behind Malik & Logan next year, Banks is 6'9 and we can always go to the Portal. 23 hasn't been the class we wanted, but it "looks" like we're in good shape for 24 & 25

From what I read is that if you miss on it is the 23 class because it isn't a great class

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

From what I read is that if you miss on it is the 23 class because it isn't a great class

Yes I've read that too. Which i hope is true but I really have no idea, I've never seen any of these kids play. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

1. What’s unbelievable?  Not missing 1 out of state target. Missing EVERY recruit we identified and targeted over the summer despite clear playing time, positions of need, and a supposed top end NIL program.  

So, by "every" you mean three in a row? If that qualifies as "unbelievable" we have a fundamental difference of opinion as to what it takes to build a talented, national contending roster.

I'll say it again: It's not 'who you don't get,'  ... it's 'who you get.'

If we build a roster with too many crap recruits? That's a major problem. So far we have the #95 and #72 incoming recruits. And we're not done building the roster.

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So, by "every" you mean three in a row? If that qualifies as "unbelievable" we have a fundamental difference of opinion as to what it takes to build a talented, national contending roster.

If we build a roster with too many crap recruits? That's a major problem.

He conveniently forgets about the 2 top 100 recruits we already have for the 2023 class 

The class is down for sure.  But I still contend that as long as we have good retention that’s not a killer. But the key is that going to 24 recruits it’s much easier to show how there will be Pt available. If that doesn’t translate into another loaded class then I think we are in for a rough ride in recruiting which translates into at best a good team most years with occasional great years.  Which is vastly under utilizing our potential with NIL

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Chris, with all due respect kids aren't afraid of playing behind Logan. I don't mean to say he won't be a good player, but kids are judging what they see on visits and what our coachesbare telling them. And none of what they are seeing or hearing is that they'll have to wait behind Logan. Also, IU fans need to understand that talent likes to play with talent. That's why a lot of kids try to get into the basketball factory high schools are are willing to sit until their senior year. That's why kids are willing to sit behind players like Trayce. Also, regarding the kids we missed on this summer, only one of them would have to deal with Malik and Logan on the depth chart. 

It's a more difficult and nuanced narrative to accept, but in reality IU missed on the recruits this summer for a few reasons (some reasons are more related to certain recruits than others):

1. Lack of a long-term relationship with the staff.

2. Not being in alignment with personalities.

3. Not being in close proximity to home. 

4. Some say a disengaged head ball coach at IU. (This one I'm more in the dark about, but it's certainly being bantered about.) 

5. Not being the shiniest program to provide an offer.

6. Yes, in some cases a certain university offered almost immediate playing time, but they also had a staff that build a long relationship with the kids and the university was close to home. 

IU was too narrowly focused on the 2023 class and just getting to know these kids. It's not all doom and gloom. It's a learning process. As others have mentioned there are other irons in the fire. For those worrying, the staff will have to work hard, but all is not lost . . . at least not yet.

; )

If we build a roster with too many crap recruits? That's a major problem. So far we have the #95 and #72 incoming recruits. And we're not done building the roster.

Do you think it’s fair for me to include Other targets we wanted that we couldn’t get traction with? Mirro Little was in this class too.

Stoyakavich, KJ Evans, TJ Powers, Booker(maybe, maybe not but staff did spend time on him) are others we wanted to get involved with or spent time on.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

He conveniently forgets about the 2 top 100 recruits we already have for the 2023 class 

Flat wrong. I like those guys just fine. Good building block recruits at the guard position. We lose X there and MAYBE JHS. We are fine at guard. Not a huge position of need. I have faith in Bates, Galloway and Gunn over Newton and Cupps as far as the depth chart would go anyway.

Now, Race and TJD? Sure Malik slots in perfectly. The other spot is open. That’s the position of need and always has been, to me. Imo Booker would have been absolutely perfect, but clearly that’s not what the staff thought for whatever reason. Queen would be great, but I’d rather have an upgrade to start and have Queen be in the Reneau role as the first big off the bench. But beggars can’t be choosers.

Banks plays like a wing/guard. He’s listed at 6’8” in most places. The hysterics refer to him as 6’7”. Geronimo could probably play the 4 and Malik at the 5 I suppose, if we want to go smaller at the 4.

I hope Logan is ready, that would be great.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Flat wrong. I like those guys just fine. Good building block recruits at the guard position. We lose X there and MAYBE JHS. We are fine at guard. Not a huge position of need. I have faith in Bates, Galloway and Gunn over Newton and Cupps as far as the depth chart would go anyway.

Now, Race and TJD? Sure Malik slots in perfectly. The other spot is open. That’s the position of need and always has been, to me. Imo Booker would have been absolutely perfect, but clearly that’s not what the staff thought for whatever reason. Queen would be great, but I’d rather have an upgrade to start and have Queen be in the Reneau role as the first big off the bench. But beggars can’t be choosers.

Alot people are sleeping on Banks who I see as the starting 4 next year

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Alot people are sleeping on Banks who I see as the starting 4 next year

I agree!  I think it will be Malik, Banks, with Logan coming off the bench, IMO.  We aren’t desperate for another big, but it would be nice if we could obtain Page.