Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PF Arrinten Page to USC

I mean for crying out loud we have four top 30 kids on this year’s roster and people are complaining about the lack of ranking stars on the roster that will take the court 13 months from now?!?

And taking a cheap shot at Cupps and fans who are glad he’s pushing for others to come to IU?

Good lord.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I am bit taken aback by this big a reaction to Arrinten Page choosing USC.

I am more concerned with wins and losses.

IU will be a top 15 team this year while featuring a bunch of veteran players who were originally ranked throughout the top 150. We are likely to feature at least two top 30 players the year after this year.

And the 2023 roster is most certainly not a finished product.

With the one and done-predominant  model UK has been pretty good but hasn’t  won a title in ten years. Calipari’s only title was when he had a top five in the NBA player. That model really sucks.

Moreover, until the last year or two UK has had a bunch of one year mercenaries that have had practically no relation to that university.

Calipari has had more success in the past 5 years than we’ve had in the past 20. His approach gets results. Flat out. I don’t care if the players are mercenaries. I care if they win. Rob Phinisee played 111 games at IU. He won 1 tournament game. Devonte Green played 120 games at IU. He played in 0 tournament games. Al Durham - 123 games, 0 tournament games. Give me the talented mercenaries and the success that comes with it every day of the week. 

I am bit taken aback by this big a reaction to Arrinten Page choosing USC.
I am more concerned with wins and losses.
IU will be a top 15 team this year while featuring a bunch of veteran players who were originally ranked throughout the top 150. We are likely to feature at least two top 30 players the year after this year.
And the 2023 roster is most certainly not a finished product.
With the one and done-predominant  model UK has been pretty good but hasn’t  won a title in ten years. Calipari’s only title was when he had a top five in the NBA player. That model really sucks.
Moreover, until the last year or two UK has had a bunch of one year mercenaries that have had practically no relation to that university.

I don’t think it’s Page specific as we all knew he was heading elsewhere for a longtime. It’s just a bookend to the Staff’s efforts from June and July. Almost remarkably bad. Some recruit referencing obscure depth chart, playing time discussions. I’m on record not particularly loving any of our targets too much. Page may have been my favorite based on need alone. But as said on this Page,
Page isn’t good enough to start for a team trying to win the B1G. Maybe, none of targets. Based on offers in ‘24 and ‘25 it appears staff is trying new strategies. Which is good, but their inability to land a single guy they focused on in the Summer is something. Here’s to hoping the figure it out soon.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Cupps will be a terrific player for IU. He will be unselfish and make everyone around him better. I like everything I have seen from him so far. I also think he will be under appreciated by some because he won't have gaudy numbers, won't make flashy plays, and won't stuff the stat sheet. What he will do is what he has always done, represent his school with class and win.

17 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Calipari has had more success in the past 5 years than we’ve had in the past 20. His approach gets results. Flat out. I don’t care if the players are mercenaries. I care if they win. Rob Phinisee played 111 games at IU. He won 1 tournament game. Devonte Green played 120 games at IU. He played in 0 tournament games. Al Durham - 123 games, 0 tournament games. Give me the talented mercenaries and the success that comes with it every day of the week. 

It’s not a binary choice between either ‘Rob Phinisee and DeVonte Green’ or ‘Shaedon Sharpe and Hamidou Diallo.’

This year’s IU roster should make it crystal clear that Woody recognizes that. He recently jettisoned Phinisee, Durr, Lander, and Stewart, all of whom had remaining eligibility. Pretty sure at least three of them and maybe all four weren’t invited back. I guess Phinisee could have come back, but with an understanding that he’d be the third string PG.

Besides, in the past five years Calipari’s best years were  one Elite 8 and one Sweet Sixteen while rolling through about 100 players that didn’t stay at UK long enough to unpack their suitcases. Just because Archie sucked doesn’t make that an enviable model. 

If you were comparing us to Nova? Sure. But UK? No thanks.

I don’t think it’s Page specific as we all knew he was heading elsewhere for a longtime. It’s just a bookend to the Staff’s efforts from June and July. Almost remarkably bad. Some recruit referencing obscure depth chart, playing time discussions. I’m on record not particularly loving any of our targets too much. Page may have been my favorite based on need alone. But as said on this Page,
Page isn’t good enough to start for a team trying to win the B1G. Maybe, none of targets. Based on offers in ‘24 and ‘25 it appears staff is trying new strategies. Which is good, but their inability to land a single guy they focused on in the Summer is something. Here’s to hoping the figure it out soon.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It has been about the $$$ for awhile and will continue to be about the $$$. When we get that figured out we’ll see the talent to match.

We have a pretty solid combination of talented experience (that should be hungry after having little in the way of winning at a traditional Indiana level) and some young talent this season. It should be a lot of fun to watch and we should win something to put in the rafters.

We’ll have a lot of production to replace after this season to remain towards the top of the Big 1.o conference. You know this, the staff knows this, and most on here know this but some don’t want to acknowledge it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not every one and done talent only stays in college for one season. 

UK’s 2012 championship team:

Marquis Teague - 7th in his class

Anthony Davis - 1st in his class

Doron Lamb - 26th in his class

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - 3rd in his class

Terrence Jones - 11th in his class

Darius Miller - 35th in his class.

UNC’s 2017 championship class: 

Justin Jackson - 9th in his class

Joel Berry - 25th in his class

Kennedy Meeks - 56th in his class

Isaiah Hicks - 14th in his class

Tony Bradley - 19th in his class 

Kenny Williams - 90th in his class

Theo Pinson - 15th in his class

Recruit elite talent, get elite results, more often than not. If one and done talent is something you don’t want, idk what you’re expecting from IU. We don’t get the recruits those schools get, and we don’t have the coaching those schools have, so it’s no surprise when we don’t get their results.

That UNC proves my.point when I was talking about Newton and Cupps.

Next year if JHS doesn't leave.

JHS 

Bates 

Banks 

Reneau

Newton 

Cupps 

All of these guys are rated in the top 90 in their class. JHS, Bates and Reneau are top 30 players. You also have Duncomb who I think was rated in the top 100 and then you have Gunn and Geronimo and Galloway who were lower rated but can be a big part of the team

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

That UNC proves my.point when I was talking about Newton and Cupps.

Next year if JHS doesn't leave.

JHS 

Bates 

Banks 

Reneau

Newton 

Cupps 

All of these guys are rated in the top 90 in their class. JHS, Bates and Reneau are top 30 players. You also have Duncomb who I think was rated in the top 100 and then you have Gunn and Geronimo and Galloway who were lower rated but can be a big part of the team

Duncomb was composite 73.

But he’s got a five star mullet.

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is where us older fans differ from the younger fans because I would never want IU to use Cal's recruiting and mainly have one and dones. We have had 3 one and dones and two never played in the post season and the other lost in the first round.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s not a binary choice between either ‘Rob Phinisee and DeVonte Green’ or ‘Shaedon Sharpe and Hamidou Diallo.’

This year’s IU roster should make it crystal clear that Woody recognizes that. We jettisoned Phinisee, Durr, Lander, and Stewart. Pretty sure at least three of them and maybe all four weren’t invited back. I guess Phinisee could have come back, but with an understanding that he’d be the third string PG.

Besides, in the past five years Calipari has one Elite 8 and one Sweet Sixteen while rolling through so many players that didn’t stay at UK long enough to unpack their suitcases. Just because Archie sucked doesn’t make that an enviable model. 

If you were comparing us to Nova? Sure. But UK? No thanks.

Idk why you’re so insistent on downplaying Calipari. His results speak for themselves. An elite eight appearance in over 50% of his seasons at UK. We can’t even get to the tournament 50% of the time. You say “in the past five seasons,” but the tournament was canceled one of those seasons. His team won the SEC that year. So really it’s an elite 8 and a sweet 16 during that span. I was a first grader the last time IU played in an elite 8. Sure, the players stay for a season. More often than not it’s a great season. Then Calipari replaces them with a new set of top 25 guys. In 2022 he got #8, #12, and #39. This year he’s got #2, #9, and #29.

Landing JHS and Reneau is great. But you need to replicate year after year. We’re missing on all of our targets in 2023 and aren’t in on anyone close in talent to those two guys in 2023. 

I think Cupps will be a terrific player for IU. He will be unselfish and make everyone around him better. I like everything I have seen from him so far. I also think he will be under appreciated by some because he won't have gaudy numbers, won't make flashy plays, and won't stuff the stat sheet. What he will do is what he has always done, represent his school with class and win.

Sounds like a terrific player and better person. If we have the year most hope we’re likely losing JHS along with X as our lead guards. Is a frosh Cupps coming in and running the team that is most likely losing their best big in sometime along with another experienced vet? I have my doubts.

I will enjoy the team we have this season as it’s Indians basketball and it might be a bit before we have this talent and experience again.

Not sure if he will or not but he is going to try his best to do so.   Since committing to IU he has done his best to represent IU in a way that should make every IU fan happy he is a Hoosier.   Personally can’t remember a recruit that has recruited other high school kids as much as he has tried to do.   

Will he be ready to contribute starter minutes and lead a top notch team as a freshman? Like the intangibles and repping IU. I would love it even more if it paid off in landing some of the top talent like a big to pair with Malik and a starting level top end PG if JHS leaves after a year.

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk why you’re so insistent on downplaying Calipari. His results speak for themselves. An elite eight appearance in over 50% of his seasons at UK. We can’t even get to the tournament 50% of the time. You say “in the past five seasons,” but the tournament was canceled one of those seasons. His team won the SEC that year. So really it’s an elite 8 and a sweet 16 during that span. I was a first grader the last time IU played in an elite 8. Sure, the players stay for a season. More often than not it’s a great season. Then Calipari replaces them with a new set of top 25 guys. In 2022 he got #8, #12, and #39. This year he’s got #2, #9, and #29.

Landing JHS and Reneau is great. But you need to replicate year after year. We’re missing on all of our targets in 2023 and aren’t in on anyone close in talent to those two guys in 2023. 

Not a fan of Cal recruiting strategy at all and never want IU to be a one and done factory. For me one of the best things about college sports was to see players come in and develop over time but UK never has that.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is where us older fans differ from the younger fans because I would never want IU to use Cal's recruiting and mainly have one and dones. We have had 3 one and dones and two never played in the post season and the other lost in the first round.

If you don’t want to use Cal’s recruiting then you don’t want IU to be an elite blue blood. Because it’s not just Calipari that recruits like that. Do you know who Duke has in its #1 ranked 2023 class? #5, #8, #13, #18, and #24. What about Duke’s 2022 class you ask? #1, #2, #4, #22, and #27. Duke does it even better than Calipari these days.

IU seems to think it can trot out B- recruiting classes with B-/C+ coaching and get A results. Not gonna happen. JHS is a talented player. Possibly a one and done talent. Why wouldn’t you want more recruits of his talent level on the roster?

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I’m an older fan, older than you, and I am 100% for IU getting the best talent we can get (assuming they are a “fit” ).  Talent helps. The UNC roster you referenced had 5 top 25 guys and 4/5 of them were ranked higher than our highest rated player. 

There is chatter that JHS could be a one and done player (who the hell really knows before the season has even started). If that’s the case do you think we should have not recruited JHS?

PS. You have often expressed that you don’t want us to recruit like Cal. I think you can relax as Duke and UK are the only two schools in the “predominately one and done” arena. It’s not as if Woody can tell the staff “hey, we were unable to land Page so let’s go out and get 6 one and done guys next year”. You worrying about us recruiting like Cal would be like my wife worrying that Giselle is leaving Brady to go after me.  Not gonna happen.

11 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Will he be ready to contribute starter minutes and lead a top notch team as a freshman? Like the intangibles and repping IU. I would love it even more if it paid off in landing some of the top talent like a big to pair with Malik and a starting level top end PG if JHS leaves after a year.

Don’t know but I do know the staff right or wrong targeted him and Newton early and made them a priority.    Might not of been a priority for the fans but this staff definitely thought they were a priority.  I know Flory hung out  with Newton and Cupps a lot on his visit and anytime a  target recruit has been on campus Cupps is usually on campus for an unofficial.   I have no clue if he will be ready or not but it seems the staff values him a ton 

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If you don’t want to use Cal’s recruiting then you don’t want IU to be an elite blue blood. Because it’s not just Calipari that recruits like that. Do you know who Duke has in its #1 ranked 2023 class? #5, #8, #13, #18, and #24. What about Duke’s 2022 class you ask? #1, #2, #4, #22, and #27. Duke does it even better than Calipari these days.

IU seems to think it can trot out B- recruiting classes with B-/C+ coaching and get A results. Not gonna happen. JHS is a talented player. Possibly a one and done talent. Why wouldn’t you want more recruits of his talent level on the roster?

Just look at the last 10 champions and get back to me to see where there recruiting rankings were.  I will take how Villanova built their team over how Cal does.  If Cal gets the best players every year why hasn't he won more championships.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just look at the last 10 champions and get back to me to see where there recruiting rankings were.  I will take how Villanova built their team over how Cal does.  If Cal gets the best players every year why hasn't he won more championships.

The Villanova approach is great when you have a top 3 coach in college basketball. Mike Woodson is not that. As for Calipari, the tournament is a bit of a crapshoot. But he gets his team in contention. In 7/12 seasons he’s been to the elite eight. Playing for a final four spot more than half the time isn’t so bad…