Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PF Arrinten Page to USC

8 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I agree!  I think it will be Malik, Banks, with Logan coming off the bench, IMO.  We aren’t desperate for another big, but it would be nice if we could obtain Page.  

If no one leaves that has eligibility left, this is my starting lineup.

JHS

Bates

Banks

JG

Reneau

21 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I agree!  I think it will be Malik, Banks, with Logan coming off the bench, IMO.  We aren’t desperate for another big, but it would be nice if we could obtain Page.  

Idk, we are close to desperate. I only see Malik and Logan that can play the 5, and we probably need 3 guys total that can in case of injury or unfulfilled  expectation in development. 

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Portal=Saving grace

We hope.  But we could lose every recruiting battle there as well.  Although you’d think a Big might eventually want what TJD and Race have. 

I've gotten to where I almost prefer portal kids.  They are bigger, stronger, and experienced.  Plus they fill needs that arise after recruiting and transfers happen.

1 hour ago, BtownStrength said:

Idk, we are close to desperate. I only see Malik and Logan that can play the 5, and we probably need 3 guys total that can in case of injury or unfulfilled  expectation in development. 

We are losing two bigs.

We have bigs developing behind them.

We need at least one, and better yet two bigs in 2023.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We are losing two bigs.

We have bigs developing behind them.

We need at least one, and better yet two bigs in 2023.

This is exactly how I see it as well. We need more players that can man the post. I am sure we get at least 1. Who it is will be the mystery. 

15 hours ago, Josh said:

I've gotten to where I almost prefer portal kids.  They are bigger, stronger, and experienced.  Plus they fill needs that arise after recruiting and transfers happen.

The portal is just false hope as far as I'm concerned.

Teams rarely get who they need, and this isn't limited to IU.  Too often we expect to go to the transfer portal to fill in the gaps and expect a Max Bielfeldt level of production, but that is the rare exception.  We've struck out far more often than hit home runs.

16 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Teams rarely get who they need, and this isn't limited to IU.  Too often we expect to go to the transfer portal to fill in the gaps and expect a Max Bielfeldt level of production, but that is the rare exception.  We've struck out far more often than hit home runs.

This happens in recruiting high schoolers too.  I feel like you can get more of a known experienced player out of the portal.  Just imo

2 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

The nice thing about the portaling and “duds” is usually they are one or two year players not tying up a scholly for several years. 

Edited by bird4par

23 minutes ago, bird4par said:

The nice thing about the portaling and “duds” is usually they are one or two year players not tying up a scholly for several years. 

And the bad part is that if they’re Max B or X you only have them for a little while.

The best case scenario is a great four year college player who doesn’t project to the NBA. 

4 hours ago, Josh said:

This happens in recruiting high schoolers too.  I feel like you can get more of a known experienced player out of the portal.  Just imo

A lot of college staffs feel the same way.   Some are focusing more on the portal then recruiting straight out of high school 

it’s definitely changed the way coaches   recruit now

24 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

A lot of college staffs feel the same way.   Some are focusing more on the portal then recruiting straight out of high school 

it’s definitely changed the way coaches   recruit now

There was some talk about this in Norlander’s feature on Todd Golden a few weeks back. Point #1 in this article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/five-things-we-learned-from-spending-five-days-with-florida-coach-todd-golden-on-the-recruiting-trail/amp/

Hoosier Hysterics sum up my sentiments on recruiting well on their recent podcast.  Definite avenues towards success for ‘23 recruiting but we’ve put ourselves deep in a hole.  

I’m focused on enjoying the season. The staff knows we will need major talent reloading.  I think they will find some pieces somewhere.  We will be hard pressed to create a top 20 next season.  But it’s possible. 

27 minutes ago, cthomas said:

That should help us, right? I don't want anyone we are recruiting anywhere close to the football program.

I've heard many basketball recruits say something along the lines of "even in football season their fanbase talks about basketball".  Sucking at football is good for us!

Man the only thing that could reveal this off-season to not be a disaster is if they somehow convince Trayce to come back for a 5th year

I’m putting a few eggs in that basket. Although a freshman Page doesn’t begin to replace Trayce. A sophomore Malik Reneau likely doesn’t either (although he may replace Race or slight upgrade). If JHS stays, him and Bates at the 1,2 would be dynamic. Very few ways I see us equal or better in next preseason prognostications, beside landing 2 tip top transfers with Starter production. Would suck even if we have a great year to not be positioned to be preseason top 25 next year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app