Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Brian Walsh Assistant Coach

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

So did Woodson not want to recruit Cupps at one point?

I believe it was just Walsh who championed him to the new staff and sealed the deal.

On Walsh, but not Cupps: Walsh was right behind the first couple seats on the bench and, I noticed, very engaged this year. Not groundbreaking, but usually a DOBO or Recruiting Coordinator type would be told to pipe down if they were overstepping, and this was going on all year.

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

What is Walsh’s background

Dayton GA for two years, assistant DOBO one year there, came w/Arch to a similar role, last offseason listed his IU gear on Facebook marketplace during the transition but must’ve been convinced to stay. Was Team and Recruiting Coordinator this year, landed Gabe Cupps, which is one more recruit than I believe a departed assistant did

I think I tried to buy some of Walsh's IU gear on Facebook marketplace at this time last year and now he's an assistant. 

Me too. Good for him. Sometimes things look discouraging but it is cool to see him rewarded for keeping after it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe Ya stayed BECAUSE Fife didn't stay? I have no clue....just thought I would add another thought amongst the collection.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

It is a good point. I suspect hearing people, even if uninformed people, say Fife is the coach in waiting all while knowing Fife’s results did not even come close to his.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

How is that even possible, Woody doesn't listen to anyone except NBA guys?

That the Cupps family made the drive to Bloomington says a lot about them and the job Walsh did. Finding and then sticking to his guns about Gabe says even more positive things about Brian. 

False alarm. He listens to everyone except staff that will be fired for insubordination. It's a telltale sign that someone will be out of the program when he doesn't listen to them. You can easily tell when that person is no longer in the program and we find out Woody wasn't listening to them.

I don't think Walsh has to worry about that until he does.

Does he have any eligibility remaining? I'm not sure we'd know what to do with 44% from 3.
I misread it shot 41% for his career. 44% his junior year. But I would take a couple 40+ percent shooters. Being able to have him work with players could help especially Galloway and Kopp if he stays

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Dayton GA for two years, assistant DOBO one year there, came w/Arch to a similar role, last offseason listed his IU gear on Facebook marketplace during the transition but must’ve been convinced to stay. Was Team and Recruiting Coordinator this year, landed Gabe Cupps, which is one more recruit than I believe a departed assistant did

With that kind of track record he could be the next head coach in waiting if only he'd played at IU. 

2 minutes ago, maharkn said:

I misread it shot 41% for his career. 44% his junior year. But I would take a couple 40+ percent shooters. Being able to have him work with players could help especially Galloway and Kopp if he stays

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

I'd take multiple 41% shooters!

We don't think he worked with any players prior to getting the title of assistant coach today?

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

44% from 3? I can feel our shooting getting better already. 

Coach Walsh was the person I had to contact to attend practice when Archie was here. You would ask by email and then he would call you let you know what door to come in and other details. After meeting you once he knew you were. I was just a Junior high coach begging to watch practice.

That’s awesome! Any chance you know who to contact about watching a football practice? 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

44% from 3? I can feel our shooting getting better already. 

Coach Walsh was the person I had to contact to attend practice when Archie was here. You would ask by email and then he would call you let you know what door to come in and other details. After meeting you once he knew you were. I was just a Junior high coach begging to watch practice.

Guess I should add that I coach football at a high school in Indiana. 

Had some time to reflect.

I imagine this means Woodson will continue to consult with his friends for game plans and what not. The AC’s will focus on recruiting and general game scouting. 

I imagine this means a raise for Ya and Hunter while Brian gets a raise from his current position of course. Brian must be good people, especially being retained by Woodson last year in the first place. Never met the guy, but I’d always see him around on the golf cart giving recruits Zoom tours of campus.