Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Brian Walsh Assistant Coach

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Reduced salary cost + landing top 100 (?) + loyal/trustworthy enough = 3rd assistant coach

Interesting

Worth it if it means that you keep 2 elite recruiters (Ya and Hunter) who are able to pull top 50 talent consistently from the elite prep schools like Monteverde/IMG and the Southeast Area (Newton, Carr?, etc.) 

Under Woodson's approach/regime, IU is going to need talented athletes to build an SEC like roster to compete. It is what it is.The best Indiana talent doesn't fit those needs most years, so I'm good with the status quo right now.

If he fails, I'm all aboard changing philosophies and going with Michael Lewis, Shrewsberry, Gard protoge, someone from Purdue, etc.

6 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I think everyone who has had to build a team understands that fit is critical. I always thought that each additional hire was harder than the previous one. The more people who have to fit together, the more difficult the hire. This is CMW's ship. First year wasn't quite right, so make adjustments. I thought Fife was a good hire, but for whatever reason, it wasn't. CMW has to have everyone on the same page and working towards the same goals. I have no problem with him making the changes he thinks necessary. That's what leadership looks like.

When you spend that many hrs in close proximity every day, fit is huge.  

I’m guessing there’s significant overlap between the people who (somehow) thought Fife would eventually be head coach and those unhappy with the hire of a guy they don’t know much about. 

2 minutes ago, Redb1rdy said:

I'm a new guy here, first post, but life long fan. I'm real big on the Walsh move. I think motivation is 1000% there with him. Someone who has been in the system for 5 years, and is clearly driven, is who we want in a key role on this staff.

Greetings and salutations.  Glad to have you aboard the btb train.

1 minute ago, mbredenk101 said:

Maybe Ya stayed BECAUSE Fife didn't stay? I have no clue....just thought I would add another thought amongst the collection.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Definitely food for thought.

Funny story about him.  During his first year I was at Archie’s first kids camp with my son and family.   After the camp you can go down on the floor and get autographs and talk with the players and coaches.  While the long for autographs was long I went over to him in the middle of the court and introduced myself and told him I knew who he was and started talking hoops.  I told him I was glad he was a Hoosier and that this place would get loud and crazy.  I warned him it would be way louder then Dayton even though Dayton is a great place to watch a game.   Then out of no where my newborn daughter decided to pee through her diaper and all over mid court at assembly hall.   The look on his face was priceless.  Now he is an assistant coach.   Good times 

I love this story. I can imagine his look. Was dad embarrassed?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, vemmeistars said:

What are you talking about? Team had a s***load of open shots. Just couldn't hit enough of them.

I seen a stat during the end of the season that showed Indiana was one of the top teams in the nation at getting open shots. We just need guys who can knock them down. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Dustin Dopirak:  Brian Walsh, it should be noted, convinced Woodson to continue Indiana's pursuit of Gabe Cupps. The Cupps family drove to Bloomington just so it could surprise Walsh with the news of Gabe's commitment in person.

How is that even possible, Woody doesn't listen to anyone except NBA guys?

That the Cupps family made the drive to Bloomington says a lot about them and the job Walsh did. Finding and then sticking to his guns about Gabe says even more positive things about Brian. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Dustin Dopirak:  Brian Walsh, it should be noted, convinced Woodson to continue Indiana's pursuit of Gabe Cupps. The Cupps family drove to Bloomington just so it could surprise Walsh with the news of Gabe's commitment in person.

So did Woodson not want to recruit Cupps at one point?