Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Brian Walsh Assistant Coach

6 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

Probably would've lost Ya without going in-house on the 3rd assistant spot. Losing Ya could've been devastating with access to the south and potential loss of Jakai Newton for 2023.

Yep. He brought in Banks too, who i think is going to hopefully surprise alot of us this season. He can play and has a nice stroke. 

1 minute ago, vemmeistars said:

What are you talking about? Team had a s***load of open shots. Just couldn't hit enough of them.

I’m talking about the fact that we had to pay consultants to figure out how to get our guys open shots.  As reported on this site.  

What

1 minute ago, Mopladysman said:

I’m talking about the fact that we had to pay consultants to figure out how to get our guys open shots.  As reported on this site.  

What's wrong with IU taking advantage of the basketball resources they have by trying to maximize recruiting capabilities from the assistant coaches they hire and filling in any necessary gaps with consultants?

Edited by vemmeistars

19 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

one thing this confirms for me (as much as it can be) is that it was just Fife who Woody wasn't listening to, or at least it was only Dane who had an issue with it.

Seems that the rest of the staff was vibing and it wasn't Woody going rogue all year with his old buddies. 

So who was the guy telling him to continue with the Stewart/Kopp lineup?  :)  

6 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

What

What's wrong with IU taking advantage of the basketball resources they have by trying to maximize recruiting capabilities from the assistant coaches they hire and filling in any necessary gaps with consultants?

We got whooped by 30 points In Round 1.  Bring on the raises.  

7 minutes ago, Mopladysman said:

We got whooped by 30 points In Round 1.  Bring on the raises.  

That's an oversimplified look at judging the 1st season. I don't consider it an A or even B level season for the team and coaching staff. But for a program that hasn't made a tournament since 2016, beat purdue/michigan in 10 tries, or even won multiple games in the BTT, you have to see it as real progress and something to build off of.

Of course they choked in several late game situations and underwhelmed against St. Mary's, but if they weren't able to keep the staff together, there was a real chance of regression going into the following seasons. Woodson may end up being a failed hire within the next few years, but the results of this season don't push him closer to that position.

Edited by vemmeistars

22 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

Probably would've lost Ya without going in-house on the 3rd assistant spot. Losing Ya could've been devastating with access to the south and potential loss of Jakai Newton for 2023.

So you're saying that if we wouldn't have promoted from within that Ya was going to leave? What would be the reasoning behind this?

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

So you're saying that if we wouldn't have promoted from within that Ya was going to leave? What would be the reasoning behind this?

Kenny Payne and Louisville were pursuing him to be a great recruiter on their staff. 

17 minutes ago, Mopladysman said:

Only one assistant coach couldn't get them open shots or recruit but kind of could but really couldn't. The others are good.

27 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

4 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

Kenny Payne and Louisville were pursuing him to be a great recruiter on their staff. 

I get the report Uof6 and Payne were pursuing him. How are Ya leaving for Uof6 and Walsh being hired as the 3rd assistant related to Ya leaving?

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I get the report Uof6 and Payne were pursuing him. How are Ya leaving for Uof6 and Walsh being hired as the 3rd assistant related to Ya leaving?

I'm guessing IU had to go cheaper on the 3rd assistant financially to reallocate those funds to promoting Ya/Hunter to Associate HC's. 

Edited by vemmeistars