Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Michael Lewis to Ball State

With today's 93-72 win over Bowling Green, Lewis now has BSU at 18-7 and on a 5 game winning streak. The Cardinals are one game out of first place in the MAC. 

The 18 wins in his first year makes him the second-most successful rookie coach in BSU history. Probably won't top the record of 26 set by Dick Hunsaker, but a pretty good accomplishment nonetheless. 

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

With today's 93-72 win over Bowling Green, Lewis now has BSU at 18-7 and on a 5 game winning streak. The Cardinals are one game out of first place in the MAC. 

The 18 wins in his first year makes him the second-most successful rookie coach in BSU history. Probably won't top the record of 26 set by Dick Hunsaker, but a pretty good accomplishment nonetheless. 

Big games for them coming up. Kent next week. Toledo is at Ball State to end the regular season too. And Akron is tied with them too right now, and is 2nd last. Can't screw up vs NI... 

On 1/13/2023 at 5:58 PM, LamarCheeks said:

Matt Painter had one successful season at Southern Illinois. Purdue then hired him sit alongside Keady to be coach-in-waiting for a year, and told Mean Gene he needed to hit the bricks in a season. 

I see a similar situation happening at IU. LOL! 

I love this idea and really hope that IU goes that route.  I can't see Woodson being interested in staying many more years.  I would think he would consider it important to being able to help stabilize things and then be able to pass the torch to the next guy.  

Michigan? Did someone say Michigan.  Shut your mouth!! 

59 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

And if memory serves, Hunsaker essentially did that with Majerus' team, didn't he? 

29 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

And if memory serves, Hunsaker essentially did that with Majerus' team, didn't he? 

Yes, and that team coached by Hunsaker was probably one of BSU's best ever. They reached the Sweet 16 and lost to the eventual national champs by 2 points. 

The late 80's/early 90's was probably BSU's golden age of basketball. A little different than what Lewis walked into. 

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I’ve been watching when I can. I was going to try to go to yesterday’s game, but couldn’t make it. He has them playing hard for the most part, and that definitely hasn’t been their calling card the last few years. I’m hoping the timing can work out somehow. I really don’t see Woody staying a lot longer. 

Lewis will be the most obvious choice to take over for Woodson should he have Ball State rolling and hasn’t jumped to a power 5 yet.

it’s going tj be important to see what he does with a cycle of his own recruits. We’ve seen too often coaches come in and find immediate success with a former coaches kids like Mike Davis, Juwan Howard and a bunch of others but they cannot sustain it.

Just now, Rico said:

What data was out there to name Matt Painter the HC at Purdue?

Matt Painter would be fired if he had his same success at Purdue, at IU. 

But uh... who cares? Just hire the best candidate... not the best candidate from former IU guys. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Matt Painter would be fired if he had his same success at Purdue, at IU. 

But uh... who cares? Just hire the best candidate... not the best candidate from former IU guys. 

True.

But if the best candidate has IU as his absolute, unmitigated dream job, that’s the best case scenario. Otherwise, the best candidate might be somebody like Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens that has little or no interest in IU.

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

True.

But if the best candidate has IU as his absolute, unmitigated dream job, that’s the best case scenario. Otherwise, the best candidate might be somebody like Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens that has little or no interest in IU.

JMO, but I prefer the candidate to have ties to Indiana HS basketball as well.