Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Henryville Hoosier

Next assistant coach

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sounds like landing Gabe Cupps can do wonders for your career. A good young guy who is hungry on the recruiting trail is what IU needs and will probably get. I like when someone does a good job they get promoted. 

Are you saying Walsh has been promoted to full assistant coach?  Lot's of "buzz" that he's a real "up & comer".

I guess so.  I mean getting Gabe Cupps is a nice get and all but he's lower level top 100 kid.  I always hear people propping him up that he was going to leave to take a gig so I guess there's that.  Do we want to contend for 5 star kids or try to win with the right 4 star guys?  I think this goes to answer that question.  Then Ya?  

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Hopefully, we get a resolution with Ya soon. He gets a raise and stays or decides he wants to reunite with a former mentor. I know that Woodson has told him that he really wants him to stay and they are working on that. 

Randy Wittman as the offensive coordinator. I'm up and down on this. Ups is he is the one who talked Woodson into doing more pick and rolls with X & TJD. He also installed plays to get wide-open looks for Stewart and Kopp. He was around the NBA for years I think he knows basketball. I think he can really help with our off-season workouts, especially shooting. He knows how to teach shooting. 

The downside is he fully invested? 62 years old has a retirement home in Florida, does he want to be all in here in Bloomington. Another downside is he has never recruited. Most high school kids don't relate really well to a 62-year-old white dude. But maybe he just recruits the state of Indiana or something like that.

As far as downsides for Randy, I can't help but think of this clip from his NBA days:

Edited by IGotMeAWoody

On 3/23/2022 at 11:52 PM, Golfman25 said:

So this is becomming more an more true.  I beleive Woodson saw the specualation of Fife as coach in waiting as a distraction to the program.  And since he wasn't listening to the college guys, he fixed the problem.  The fact that he isn't using Mata for his knowledge is a concern.  The problem with the NBA guys is they have to learn the college game.   It may take a while.   

So if you're a potential assistant, do you have some reservations?   Especially if your a good one.  

Ding ding ding!  The hammer has hit the nail!!!!  

I’ve been a big supporter of CMW but there is a lot of stuff that doesn’t add up!  

I say right the wrong and try to hire Keith Smart away from Arkansas!

On 3/24/2022 at 12:57 AM, MikeRoberts said:

I have concerns as fan. Why have Matta on staff if he isn’t being utilized? That’s negligence. Why have assistants if they aren’t being listened to? Why have stats if they are being ignored?

Ding, ding, ding!  Another hammer hitting the nail!  Again, something isn’t adding up!

On 3/24/2022 at 7:08 AM, jimsorgi said:

This is incredibly speculative. 

Just like everything else on both sides but people are believing that Fife did all that stuff too!  Where there is smoke, there is fire!

On 3/24/2022 at 7:45 AM, Honkyman said:

jimsorgi: "The fact that he isn't using Mata for his knowledge is a concern."

When was this "fact" established and by whom? This post is specious speculation.

On both sides!  See my posts above 

5 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Just like everything else on both sides but people are believing that Fife did all that stuff too!  Where there is smoke, there is fire!

Well, sort of. 

One scenario has some limited objective evidence plus reporting. But maybe that evidence is taken out of context and the reporting is biased. 

The other scenario has …. complete guesses? But maybe those guesses are right. 

We clearly don’t know what Fife left, and I still wouldn’t rule it “he’s a good coach but a bad fit for reasons that aren’t anyone’s fault” as the most likely reason.

23 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Oh. So we listen to him when he craps on fife? But not about Mata?  Frankly, I don’t believe anything.  But my eyes say Woodson didn’t listen much to the college guys.  

Again, ding, ding, ding!!!!  Hammer hits the nail!!!!  Where there is smoke there is fire!Where there is smoke there is fire!

19 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

Well, sort of. 

One scenario has some limited objective evidence plus reporting. But maybe that evidence is taken out of context and the reporting is biased. 

The other scenario has …. complete guesses? But maybe those guesses are right. 

We clearly don’t know what Fife left, and I still wouldn’t rule it “he’s a good coach but a bad fit for reasons that aren’t anyone’s fault” as the most likely reason.

It’s mostly likely a good coach and bad fit! 

It was stated that CMW didn’t like the fact that Dolson hired Matta and he darn sure mostly likely didn’t like Dolson hiring an assistant for him!  I am starting to think CMW maybe a total control freak!

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess so.  I mean getting Gabe Cupps is a nice get and all but he's lower level top 100 kid.  I always hear people propping him up that he was going to leave to take a gig so I guess there's that.  Do we want to contend for 5 star kids or try to win with the right 4 star guys?  I think this goes to answer that question.  Then Ya?  

I'd love to get 2 Top 20 dudes in one class for once... Pretty simple, to win a title, you need talent. You need multiple Top 50 dudes that stick around. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just for reference this info is coming from Eric from the Hysterics who posted something earlier in the day about Walsh and Cupps.   Nothing official but he definitely dropped a hint 

This info was also shared around the basketball office. I saw where he said that, and we might know the same people.