Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Henryville Hoosier

Next assistant coach

16 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Yes, although a lot of people aren’t good at understanding that Matta isn’t on the basketball staff. He’s in the athletic department but he is a great basketball source.

His official title is  Associate Athletic Director for Men’s Basketball Administration.   Sounds like quite a basketball resource to me.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

His official title is  Associate Athletic Director for Men’s Basketball Administration.   Sounds like quite a basketball resource to me.  

Yeah but not in Woody’s eyes. He’s basically the AD for the basketball or their babysitter. Whichever way you want to look at it.

IF we’re able to retain both Rosemond and Hunter, I’m open to Wittman. I’d prefer Smart but Wittman is interesting. 

1. He has Woodson’s ear.

2. He played in the NBA for 9 years and coached for 24…… 

Guys don’t hang around the NBA that long if they aren’t good/great coaches. 

It’s not like Dane Fife was raking in the recruits. 

We need Rosemond, Hunter, and Walsh (I think that’s his name) to handle the bulk of the recruiting duties, while at the same time needing a capable in game strategist alongside Woody. 

If we lose Fife and add Wittman, then our bench got better. Losing Rosemond would change my mind. 

31 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

IF we’re able to retain both Rosemond and Hunter, I’m open to Wittman. I’d prefer Smart but Wittman is interesting. 

1. He has Woodson’s ear.

2. He played in the NBA for 9 years and coached for 24…… 

Guys don’t hang around the NBA that long if they aren’t good/great coaches. 

It’s not like Dane Fife was raking in the recruits. 

We need Rosemond, Hunter, and Walsh (I think that’s his name) to handle the bulk of the recruiting duties, while at the same time needing a capable in game strategist alongside Woody. 

If we lose Fife and add Wittman, then our bench got better. Losing Rosemond would change my mind. 

The knock on Woodson is his lack of knowedge regarding the college game.  He even admits it in his press conferences.  How does Wittman fill that gap?  That's the problem.  He needs someone he trusts and will listen to that knows the college game.  Problem is he doesn't know anyone in the college game.  It has become a glarring weakness.  

If he is really tight with Payne and his current coach doesn't listen from what we are hearing then that is a concern for sure. If he leaves and CMW does go with his NBA assistants then that could be a huge mistake with recruiting going forward unless they start winning big in the next couple of years and kids want to come here and don't have to be really recruited to come here.

7 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

If he is really tight with Payne and his current coach doesn't listen from what we are hearing then that is a concern for sure. If he leaves and CMW does go with his NBA assistants then that could be a huge mistake with recruiting going forward unless they start winning big in the next couple of years and kids want to come here and don't have to be really recruited to come here.

Yeah I’d personally prefer a Drew etc but 2 NBA - pedigreed coaches can have clout from a recruiting standpoint. Hope Ya stays regardless 

Hopefully, we get a resolution with Ya soon. He gets a raise and stays or decides he wants to reunite with a former mentor. I know that Woodson has told him that he really wants him to stay and they are working on that. 

Randy Wittman as the offensive coordinator. I'm up and down on this. Ups is he is the one who talked Woodson into doing more pick and rolls with X & TJD. He also installed plays to get wide-open looks for Stewart and Kopp. He was around the NBA for years I think he knows basketball. I think he can really help with our off-season workouts, especially shooting. He knows how to teach shooting. 

The downside is he fully invested? 62 years old has a retirement home in Florida, does he want to be all in here in Bloomington. Another downside is he has never recruited. Most high school kids don't relate really well to a 62-year-old white dude. But maybe he just recruits the state of Indiana or something like that.

8 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

The knock on Woodson is his lack of knowedge regarding the college game.  He even admits it in his press conferences.  How does Wittman fill that gap?  That's the problem.  He needs someone he trusts and will listen to that knows the college game.  Problem is he doesn't know anyone in the college game.  It has become a glarring weakness.  

What does "the college game" mean?

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Hopefully, we get a resolution with Ya soon. He gets a raise and stays or decides he wants to reunite with a former mentor. I know that Woodson has told him that he really wants him to stay and they are working on that. 

Randy Wittman as the offensive coordinator. I'm up and down on this. Ups is he is the one who talked Woodson into doing more pick and rolls with X & TJD. He also installed plays to get wide-open looks for Stewart and Kopp. He was around the NBA for years I think he knows basketball. I think he can really help with our off-season workouts, especially shooting. He knows how to teach shooting. 

The downside is he fully invested? 62 years old has a retirement home in Florida, does he want to be all in here in Bloomington. Another downside is he has never recruited. Most high school kids don't relate really well to a 62-year-old white dude. But maybe he just recruits the state of Indiana or something like that.

All logical stuff, I agree. We 100% need someone who can focus on the offensive end. 

30 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

The rumors I read have this more focused on not listening to Dane and that he worked better with the other assistants. 

I’ll be disappointed if Wittman is hired as the third assistant coach. I don’t have any particular guy I want as the third, mainly because I don’t pay attention to The Who’s who of assistant coaches. I just want an elite recruiter in the spot. 

31 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is my biggest concern. He knows basketball and made an impact on the team this year. The problem is all the other stuff that an assistant has to do.

10 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

The rumors I read have this more focused on not listening to Dane and that he worked better with the other assistants. 

So now that Dane is gone it was just ignoring Dane and not "assistants" that was reporting. Glad this was clarified now. Hopefully, he gathers input from those he's hired. We'll definitely know who he wasn't listening to the second after they've been released from their duties in the years to come.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

So now that Dane is gone it was just ignoring Dane and not "assistants" that was reporting. Glad this was clarified now. Hopefully, he gathers input from those he's hired. We'll definitely know who he wasn't listening to the second after they've been released from their duties in the years to come.

I am like 40th hand information - but glad I can clear it up for you ;).

And yes, I am aware that you are being sarcastic. 

8 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

I am like 40th hand information - but glad I can clear it up for you ;).

And yes, I am aware that you are being sarcastic. 

I thought we could only get to 6 degrees? haha, thank you for clearing it up for me. It seems like things are clear as mud until we get direction from the program who the fall guy is to direct our ire!