Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

That if they had "valid viewpoints" that could be helping us right now, they aren't exactly putting them to good use. 

One was hired by Izzo to be his assistant. The other was quite successful as a college coach.  

What is it that you imagine they have forgotten since then?

11 hours ago, str8baller said:

One was hired by Izzo to be his assistant. The other was quite successful as a college coach.  

What is it that you imagine they have forgotten since then?

Izzo had at least one maybe two spots open on his staff last summer and never even considered Fife? Wonder why. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Izzo had at least one maybe two spots open on his staff last summer and never even considered Fife? Wonder why. 

Idk…tell me. Or is this some sort of game where I’m supposed to guess?

He was the lead assistant when he left, correct? was that position open last summer? Not openings are the same. 

16 minutes ago, str8baller said:

He was the lead assistant when he left, correct? was that position open last summer? Not openings are the same. 

My guess from the rumblings I heard was that no one was heartbroken at MSU when he left. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My guess from the rumblings I heard was that no one was heartbroken at MSU when he left. 

That’s their prerogative. Maybe he’s not likable. Likableness and competence aren’t the same thing.  Personally, I really don’t care about Dane Fife. 

What I find interesting is that when Woody was hired they attached two experienced college coaches to the deal to help him navigate things he had not done before—mainly handling the aspects of college basketball and 18-22yr olds on a day to day basis.  

Both of those guys were bounced after the first season. And now we’re fielding a team that doesn’t look equipped to play basketball on a major Div 1 college level. 

Maybe they’re related. Maybe they’re not. I dunno…

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s their prerogative. Maybe he’s not likable. Likableness and competence aren’t the same thing.  Personally, I really don’t care about Dane Fife. 

What I find interesting is that when Woody was hired they attached two experienced college coaches to the deal to help him navigate things he had not done before—mainly handling the aspects of college basketball and 18-22yr olds on a day to day basis.  

Both of those guys were bounced after the first season. And now we’re fielding a team that doesn’t look equipped to play basketball on a major Div 1 college level. 

Maybe they’re related. Maybe they’re not. I dunno…

I don't think Matta was bounced. If the Butler job wouldn't opened I think he would have still been here but that's just my opinion. 

Fife is not well liked by ANYONE in the coaching community and I know this for a fact. MSU fans wanted him gone very badly (I have several friends who are MSU fans and they were so happy we took him off their hands) as well.

Fife did some less than stellar things as has been rumored and hence is no longer an assistant for the Hoosiers and he was not doing a good job at IU, especially with recruiting. The problems the team has this year have zero to do with Fife gone and it might very well be more turmoil if he was still here. 

Fans who think Fife not being here has caused any of the issues need to recalibrate and look at other problems (I am not sure what those are to be clear). 

23 minutes ago, Aaron said:

and it might very well be more turmoil if he was still here. 

Hard to imagine, really.    

But let’s assume everything you said is fact. Who’s the moron that hired him? Unless you’re Tom Izzo (you aren’t are you???), how could IU not know this if you did? 

Just now, str8baller said:

Hard to imagine, really.    

But let’s assume everything you said is fact. Who’s the moron that hired him? Unless you’re Tom Izzo (you aren’t are you???), how could IU not know this if you did? 

Woody is barely the guy that hired Fife; I don't think they were previously very well-acquainted. Woody was new to the college game and was sold that it was a good idea.

So I guess that means that Dolson is the guy who contributed the most to Fife's hire. 

And fwiw, from what I've heard off-line/away from public posting, Aaron's assessment of Fife is spot-on.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So I guess that means that Dolson is the guy who contributed the most to Fife's hire. 

Odd that an AD wouldn’t have a good profile on a big time assistant in your own conference, and in this case he’s a fairly well known alum to boot.    

It’s also odd that a long time successful coach like Tom Izzo wouldn’t have the ability to fire a guy that nobody liked who didn’t contribute anything.    

Otoh, it seems somewhat logical that a guy in Woody’s position might need some high profile help in adjusting to the college game. Of course, the guy who made that decision (Dolson, apparently) is the same one who hired Fife, who everyone agrees is a malcontent, do-nothing.   

And at the same time, possibly unrelated, we’re a rolling dumpster fire of a basketball team. 

Classic IU, I guess. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Dwayne Stephens  was and had been the lead assistant for Izzo since 2012(associate head coach) He was Izzos right hand man.  He finally got his first head coaching job this year at Western Michigan.   

Honestly from what I have been seeing we need to worry less about recruiting and more on getting the guys we do have to play better basketball lol. Fife may or may not be the problem but I know we will never find that answer out. If things don't change soon I know who will be to blame though

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Honestly from what I have been seeing we need to worry less about recruiting and more on getting the guys we do have to play better basketball lol. Fife may or may not be the problem but I know we will never find that answer out. If things don't change soon I know who will be to blame though

Maybe the players themselves as TJD said yesterday. Not many players followed the scouting report. We as fans love to blame everyone except the people actually putting in the work. 

Maybe the players themselves as TJD said yesterday. Not many players followed the scouting report. We as fans love to blame everyone except the people actually putting in the work. 
That would be fun to blame the players but that is frowned on.

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

That would be fun to blame the players but that is frowned on.

There is a world of difference between legitimately blaming the players versus @TimWeaver20's hand-penned, directly mailed to a player letter full of childish insults.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Odd that an AD wouldn’t have a good profile on a big time assistant in your own conference, and in this case he’s a fairly well known alum to boot.    

It’s also odd that a long time successful coach like Tom Izzo wouldn’t have the ability to fire a guy that nobody liked who didn’t contribute anything.    

Otoh, it seems somewhat logical that a guy in Woody’s position might need some high profile help in adjusting to the college game. Of course, the guy who made that decision (Dolson, apparently) is the same one who hired Fife, who everyone agrees is a malcontent, do-nothing.   

And at the same time, possibly unrelated, we’re a rolling dumpster fire of a basketball team. 

Classic IU, I guess. 

They didn't say Fife doesn't contribute, just that he isn't liked.  How many coaches are actually "liked."  There is probably more animosity between coaches than anything.  

There is a world of difference between legitimately blaming the players versus @TimWeaver20's hand-penned, directly mailed to a player letter full of childish insults.
Yes that was uncalled for but that situation raises all kinds of questions for me. Was that a one time thing? If so I am surprised because I would have guessed there was wheelbarrow loads of letters like that waiting for them if they wanted to read them. If tjd goes pro and actually get meaningful minutes and don't play well does he not expect tons of hate mail? Heck major media like espn puts players on blast on national TV imo. In other words why give timweaver20 his 15 minutes and if it was a rare deal he is lucky. I can only imagine what the semi trailer full of hate mail is awaiting the kentucky players right now when they want to read them lol. This should be I. The rant thread lol.

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Yes that was uncalled for but that situation raises all kinds of questions for me. Was that a one time thing? If so I am surprised because I would have guessed there was wheelbarrow loads of letters like that waiting for them if they wanted to read them. If tjd goes pro and actually get meaningful minutes and don't play well does he not expect tons of hate mail? Heck major media like espn puts players on blast on national TV imo. In other words why give timweaver20 his 15 minutes and if it was a rare deal he is lucky. I can only imagine what the semi trailer full of hate mail is awaiting the kentucky players right now when they want to read them lol. This should be I. The rant thread lol.

So true! This is a rant and is an excellent choice for the excellent "RANT THREAD"  lol