Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Good article, I'm not sure I believe he turned down a part in his contract to become the coach in waiting in 5 years. But that's just me.

I'm not a big Fife guy, but I believe him on this.  Seems like a crazy thing to make up and put out there

Well sure, the elephant is certainly not that he did or did not have the "coach in waiting" clause in his contract.  

But to that topic, I believe him.

To why he was fired, I believe the anonymous rumors.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Without laying out specifics, the primary reason was supposedly that Fife had strong opinions on non-basketball societal/political issues, pissed off/made people uncomfortable by saying them frequently, was told to stop engaging people about it, and did not.

Thems da ‘elephi.’

That is one of the elephi.   The others have been rehashed here earlier.

15 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Without laying out specifics, the primary reason was supposedly that Fife had strong opinions on non-basketball societal/political issues and on NIL, pissed off/made people uncomfortable by saying them frequently, was told to stop engaging people about it, and did not.

Thems da ‘elephi.’

I’m currently in the fire academy with a guy that was a basketball manager at Michigan state and he said this if fife in a nutshell. He wasn’t surprised by this and said him and Izzo butted heads all the time. 

He's very Dakich-ey IMO. Not without talent, but a difficult employee.

There's a reason that he has not yet been hired somewhere else. Not getting along with Mike Woodson is a giant red flag. Woody is known as a 'get along with everybody' guy. It's notable that Woody couldn't stomach Fife, and it's also good to see that Woody balances getting along with people, while not being afraid to cut ties early when it's not a good fit.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

He's very Dakich-ey IMO. Not without talent, but a difficult employee.

There's a reason that he has not yet been hired somewhere else. Not getting along with Mike Woodson is a giant red flag. Woody is known as a 'get along with everybody' guy. It's notable that Woody couldn't stomach Fife, and it's also good to see that Woody balances getting along with people, while not being afraid to cut ties early when it's not a good fit.

My question is his contract written in a way like a head coach that he gets paid after being let go unless he finds equal employment.  Could this be the reason he’s taking a year off?  

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My question is his contract written in a way like a head coach that he gets paid after being let go unless he finds equal employment.  Could this be the reason he’s taking a year off?  

Dang good question.

20 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yes I believe so but don't know that for sure. He's still in Bloomington. His daughter plays volleyball at Jackson Creek. 

25 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Probably. My memory is that he would have to seek employment, but not necessarily secure employment.

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Probably. My memory is that he would have to seek employment, but not necessarily secure employment.

Yeah, I think he’ll have no problem finding a job when he needs or wants to.  This is a strategic year off for him in my opinion.  The little puff piece that restarted all of this is a smart PR move in the transition year.  

On 9/29/2022 at 6:10 PM, Stuhoo said:

Without laying out specifics, the primary reason was supposedly that Fife had strong opinions on non-basketball societal/political issues and on NIL, pissed off/made people uncomfortable by saying them frequently, was told to stop engaging people about it, and did not.

Thems da ‘elephi.’

Interesting. Heard he was opinionated, but not political. Not a big twitter guy, but have one, and have followed him years. Don't recall any politics at all. Heard he's old style. Not nanny state. Can't see him surviving in MSU for so long if political. 

Regardless, no big deal. I'm totally 110% on the Woody bus.