Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

57 minutes ago, colonel06 said:

I may have missed it but can someone inform me on this “Northwestern incident” that is oft referred to on Twitter, etc. Thanks.

I am not on twitter, but I have to assume they mean the suspensions that came from that road trip. That was the game where we sat 5 of our guys

14 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

I completely believe that a 60+ year old man can be stubborn about doing things his way and may have to be propped up learning the inner workings of CBB. I also completely believe that a guy who comes off as smug in the interviews I have seen may do and say things that rub people the wrong way.

At the end of the day, if you are going to undermine your boss, you aren't going to have a job. That isn't to say that you want to surround yourself with "yes men". But there is a difference from being a cog or a wrench in the machine. Anybody that works in a corporate setting knows that there is a difference between being a "yes man" that just agrees with everything the boss is saying from being an effective contributor to a team that provides constructive feedback and criticism in productive manner. 

From the games, you could tell that Woody meshed better with Kenya and Ya and the players seemed to like them too. Unfortunate it didn't work out, but sometimes it doesn't.

Not sure why everyone on both sides is having such a personal reaction to all of this haha.

I will say when news broke that Woody was listening to the consultants more than the assistants, Dane moved to the end of the bench and pouted it out. Kenya and Ya kept coaching and cheering the team on IMO. 

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

A close friend of mine worked very closely around Fife at IPFW and I’m not sure he left anyone around the place with anything positive to say about him. He’s egotistical and often rude to the people around him. Hearing these rumors about him don’t surprise me in the least. It’s who he is. I appreciate Dane as a IU former player but his only attribute as a coach, was that he warmed lil Tom Izzo’s seat at MSU. If Indiana is ever going to get anywhere near where they were, it can’t be with guys like Dakich and Fife around the program. These types are cancerous. Nothing grows around them other than cancer. 

I think this is correct and in line. Fife improved IPfW every year he was there and had the winningest season in their history so despite his record there, he did an amazing job as a coach. I think he is an amazing coach. 

but yes, he was smug in college, at IPFW (family member worked with him there), at MSU and at IU. He’s always been this way, he has always been one to do things his way, he has always been smug, always had his political beliefs, always been against NIL always always alway.

So, knowing all these things, why did IU hire him? He is who we thought he is but is - high basketball IQ that can be defiant and rub people the wrong way. I just don’t understand the move to bring him in, then push him out, leaving more of a divide with this already fractured fanbase former players

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think this is correct and in line. Fife improved IPfW every year he was there and had the winningest season in their history so despite his record there, he did an amazing job as a coach. I think he is an amazing coach. 

but yes, he was smug in college, at IPFW (family member worked with him there), at MSU and at IU. He’s always been this way, he has always been one to do things his way, he has always been smug, always had his political beliefs, always been against NIL always always alway.

So, knowing all these things, why did IU hire him? He is who we thought he is but is - high basketball IQ that can be defiant and rub people the wrong way. I just don’t understand the move to bring him in, then push him out, leaving more of a divide with this already fractured fanbase former players

I will totally agree with this. Dolson didn't do his part in bringing Fife in. Everyone said we need an Indiana guy and he got Dane without doing his homework. That is totally on him and we agree on that. happy Friday.

Now I did speak to a former player this morning who played with Fife who just said it was a bad fit and move on. So I wonder if more former players think that way.

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I think/hope it can be chalked up to one big, messy learning experience for Dolson as a new AD. Don't hire assistants for your head coaches and don't hire a guy just because of his ties to the school. I don't think it was at all a lack of background research or vetting or whatever of Fife. Dolson knows all of those dudes. He's been in the athletic department for like 30 years. I think he jumped the gun and hired someone with known warts and it backfired. Hopefully he counts it as a lesson learned and cleans things up moving forward.

This is what I wanted to say but you said it much better than me. 

I think/hope it can be chalked up to one big, messy learning experience for Dolson as a new AD. Don't hire assistants for your head coaches and don't hire a guy just because of his ties to the school. I don't think it was at all a lack of background research or vetting or whatever of Fife. Dolson knows all of those dudes. He's been in the athletic department for like 30 years. I think he jumped the gun and hired someone with known warts and it backfired. Hopefully he counts it as a lesson learned and cleans things up moving forward.
I agree....also, some people interview really well, have the credentials, appear humble in the interview, and then just don't pan out when it comes to real world fit. Happens all the time.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

some people interview really well, have the credentials, appear humble in the interview, and then just don't pan out when it comes to real world fit. Happens all the time.

“Hey McRobbie I got two words for you - Pack….Line”

Edited by IUBBx5Banners

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hey everybody.  I know we're all wrapped up in the Fife departure and players announcing for the portal, but don't forget, our IUWBB team has a Sweet Sixteen game tomorrow with perennial powerhouse UCONN. 

No way that happens in this household!

We love our Lady Hoosiers.

58 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hey everybody.  I know we're all wrapped up in the Fife departure and players announcing for the portal, but don't forget, our IUWBB team has a Sweet Sixteen game tomorrow with perennial powerhouse UCONN. 

I'm still sorta honked off that we have to play UConn -- the No. 2 seed -- in their backyard. 

Will just make victory all the sweeter!

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

No one has really been talking much about IU — beating UCONN (major challenge) would be a big time step for Moren’s program and would vault IU up in the women’s team limelight — great opportunity 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

When the article stated Fife would address the elephant in the room re his firing, I did not expect it to address whether he was guaranteed to be the heir apparent.

Cause that’s not the elephant.

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Good article, I'm not sure I believe he turned down a part in his contract to become the coach in waiting in 5 years. But that's just me.

I’m quite sure I don’t.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Good article, I'm not sure I believe he turned down a part in his contract to become the coach in waiting in 5 years. But that's just me.

Indiana offering that would have been an absolutely ridiculous decision, I'd like to think we have better decision makers than that.