Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

18 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

You are so close to admitting that Fife was insubordinate and should have been **** canned and being an alum doesn't mean you are above criticism.  Go ahead -- you can say it!

It's just so strange to me that you think people 'protect the program' while you think being an alum gives you a pass.  If it were one of the other assistants being fired, would you be so upset?  If not, why not?

I’ve already said a few pages ago that you could look at things that way. Look, see my golf story as an example; he walked into a situation where his boss was clueless and he and others had to scramble to pull things together for him. That same boss didn’t want to listen to him and preferred to lean on other people that had no experience in college basketball. So for him to be unhinged by what he walked into, I don’t blame him.

as a boss, can woody fire him, sure and he did. Does that say as much about woody as it does about fife, I think it does. Fife did not come out of the AAU or high school coaching ranks and therefor arrive as a mystery, he has a long track record in college basketball, woody does not, he was and still remains more of the mystery

18 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

You are so close to admitting that Fife was insubordinate and should have been **** canned and being an alum doesn't mean you are above criticism.  Go ahead -- you can say it!

It's just so strange to me that you think people 'protect the program' while you think being an alum gives you a pass.  If it were one of the other assistants being fired, would you be so upset?  If not, why not?

Fife could have been insubordinate and should have been **** canned.

Properly vetting your assistants is kind of a big deal.

Making sure they're on the same page or collaborating with them because they have experience in something you're attempting to learn and they've been reasonably successful to alter your approach is wise.

I'm certain there is plenty of blame to go around from Fife all the way up to Dolson.

If the thread gets locked where do we post more dogs riding skateboards?

dog-cute.gif&key=55f3ea26c1fe0378851089c63895e79b930d628e27a037d84433e3400eb18ade

200.gif&key=23bc325687357adf9a2dda8640ce3683daee8ba4e99814d30f0f9d3a879edfa6

It's really really really really dumb on all sides but it's kind of expected. Curious to see the new hire will be.

Any thread should allow dogs riding skateboards. Or dogs surfing. Because who doesn’t like dogs doing sports?!?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And, for the record, please link where I mentioned ANYTHING about his history prior to being at IU.  The only thing I have said was that he wasn't in line to take over for Izzo -- that was Dwayne Stephens.  Michigan State people would have told you the exact same thing.

D312EEAB-601F-4EA0-B6A0-2F3D9D3D6F2B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, iubb said:

Any thread should allow dogs riding skateboards. Or dogs surfing. Because who doesn’t like dogs doing sports?!?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now we're talking! Except we have to keep it relevant or the squad might come after you...

Dane leaving the "bumpy" program as fast as he came in..

dogs-dog-surfing.gif

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I’ve already said a few pages ago that you could look at things that way. Look, see my golf story as an example; he walked into a situation where his boss was clueless and he and others had to scramble to pull things together for him. That same boss didn’t want to listen to him and preferred to lean on other people that had no experience in college basketball. So for him to be unhinged by what he walked into, I don’t blame him.

as a boss, can woody fire him, sure and he did. Does that say as much about woody as it does about fife, I think it does. Fife did nothing come out of the AAU or high school coaching ranks and therefor arrive as a mystery, he has a long track record in college basketball, woody does not, he was and still remains more of the mystery

Or it could have been a reason why he didn't listen to him.  Who knows if it was a chicken or egg thing.  I do know though that the recruiting issues I was hearing about from Fife predated the season (and I didn't just hear about them recently).  

It has been commonly mentioned that a lot of us (including me) don't like his reliance on some people not in the organization getting his ear.  I mentioned when I saw IU play this year that I thought there were 'way too many suits on the sideline'.  But the things that have been said about Fife (allegdely) doing  haven't been things that the other coaches were doing.  So if he came 'unhinged' (not sure what that means as some of things involved here seemed very deliberate), that doesn't seem to be how others handled it.

20 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

That's the best you have?  Really?  That a lateral move after ten years usually indicates some issues?

Seems like that was the case.

You conveniently left out the most damning parts of what you said and left in the benign parts, nice!  If only they weren’t locked in already!

That was the entire point you replied to. I said people have claimed that Fife has been this way for a long time going back to his MSU days which means Dolson and Woody didn’t do their homework. You then replied that it wasn’t you that said that, but it was 100% you and numerous others.you found his exit from MSU to be strange and indicating there were issues. 

if he was a problem at MSU as you and others have said, this is on Woody and Dolson. 

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Fife did not come out of the AAU or high school coaching ranks and therefor arrive as a mystery, he has a long track record in college basketball, woody does not, he was and still remains more of the mystery

If the mystery is solved on Fife’s coaching prospects, why are we up in arms over a guy who went 82-97 as a HC? Yeah, he was an assistant for 10 years at MSU, during which only 1 half-decent mid-major school gave him serious consideration for a Head Coaching role. And even they backed out.

Lets compare that track record to someone whose resume includes 20+ years of coaching experience at the highest level, including leading the Knicks’ to their most winningest season in 25 years and counting and a proven ability to bond and relate to players (plenty of YouTube videos out there with former players praising CMW). How is he more of a mystery? 

Regardless, if Fife is such a loss, he shouldn’t be on the market long and we should expect to see him on the bench of an upper Power 5 team in no time, right?

5 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

as a boss, can woody fire him, sure and he did. Does that say as much about woody as it does about fife, I think it does. Fife did not come out of the AAU or high school coaching ranks and therefor arrive as a mystery, he has a long track record in college basketball, woody does not, he was and still remains more of the mystery

I mean, I think we can all make up whatever story we want and say “this could have happened so let’s assume it did.”

7 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

"allegedly"? He tweeted it.  

You can't even acknowledge fact.

Did you see the tweet.  Do you know what it said and the context?   The only fact is he tweeted something.  We don’t know what was said or the context.  You’re taking the “story” hook, line and sinker as fact.  Tell me, what are Fife’s thoughts on NIL. 

7 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

It’s not over because you say so. You don’t get paid to make good decisions, make bad ones get to shrug it off and say forget about it. If that were the case, Fife would still be here.:)

and yes, crapping all over an alum is not a good look and that travels 

Oh... no, he wouldn't

8 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Maybe he was a problem, maybe he wasn’t. Are we to believe that Dolson, Woody, others aren’t also a problem?

I have read from so many here that are crapping on fife that he has been this way for a long time, that MSU was about to fire him etc. Then when it’s pointed out that those comments are directly throwing Dolson and IU under the bus for not doing their homework, that culls their fire

There’s enough blame to go around. I’m not a Dolson fan and I’m not on the Woody bandwagon yet, but it sounds like Woody didn’t really want him, or at the least wasn’t the one who hired him.

@WayneFleekHoosier used the word smug a couple of days ago, and that really describes the vibe that I got from Fife. I’m obviously not around him. Never met the guy. But that’s how he came across in interviews and on social media. He had a few really bizarre social media moments this season. Now we’ve got reports of him ignoring directives from his boss, dumping on NIL in front of top tier talent, and pushing his political views on players, among other things. It’s all so bizarre that it makes him sound like a sleeper agent hired to cause chaos within the program. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There’s enough blame to go around. I’m not a Dolson fan and I’m not on the Woody bandwagon yet, but it sounds like Woody didn’t really want him, or at the least wasn’t the one who hired him.

@WayneFleekHoosier used the word smug a couple of days ago, and that really describes the vibe that I got from Fife. I’m obviously not around him. Never met the guy. But that’s how he came across in interviews and on social media. He had a few really bizarre social media moments this season. Now we’ve got reports of him ignoring directives from his boss, dumping on NIL in front of top tier talent, and pushing his political views on players, among other things. It’s all so bizarre that it makes him sound like a sleeper agent hired to cause chaos within the program. 

That’s kind of the point.  I am sure there were disagreements.  And there probably isn’t a good fit due to those disagreements.  But the stories, oh the stories. They make a Hollywood writer blush.   It’s just so over the top it’s hard to believe.  So I’ll buy the sleeper agent theory.  :) 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Smug is a very good word. From when he was here 20 years ago, still the same today. I'll leave it at that, I'm already a hater. 

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Smug is a very good word. From when he was here 20 years ago, still the same today. I'll leave it at that, I'm already a hater. 

A close friend of mine worked very closely around Fife at IPFW and I’m not sure he left anyone around the place with anything positive to say about him. He’s egotistical and often rude to the people around him. Hearing these rumors about him don’t surprise me in the least. It’s who he is. I appreciate Dane as a IU former player but his only attribute as a coach, was that he warmed lil Tom Izzo’s seat at MSU. If Indiana is ever going to get anywhere near where they were, it can’t be with guys like Dakich and Fife around the program. These types are cancerous. Nothing grows around them other than cancer.