Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Actually the majority of the people I've talked to and read messages from think this is good after hearing the whole story. But we get to decide how we feel about things.  I don't want a coach who is telling recruits to not come to IU, telling recruits that the NIL is bad and they don't deserve it. 

It's amazing to me that certain people can be in favor of players being given 'bags of cash' yet want to support an assistant coach who was openly telling players that legal money through NIL wasn't something they didn't deserve.  Seriously, if you think he was the next coach what kind of recruits did you think he would get in with that mantra? 

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don't care to search other message boards. I'll take your word for it. Regardless, it's not a good look for anyone.

Just how message boards are especially free ones.   The same as every year posters on those message boards are going to pump up the incoming players and pump up the expectations of the team in the new year.  Not sure why but this seems to bother people more then it should in my opinion. 

51 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

if he rubbed Woody the wrong way, it’s easy to stockpile an Arsenal of negatives about Fife or really anyone when you have a year to do that. 

Or FIfe had a year to correct his mistakes and mesh.  The bottom line, for right or wrong, is that if a head coach and assistant are not on the same page, the assistant will and should be gone.  Nothing good would come from the combination.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just how message boards are especially free ones.   The same as every year posters on those message boards are going to pump up the incoming players and pump up the expectations of the team in the new year.  Not sure why but this seems to bother people more then it should in my opinion. 

There are many perspectives that seem to bother people more than it should. People like to pump and blame, we see it every year. We haven't won a lot on the court over the past few decades but we've rocked the off-season and have been crazy entertaining during that time. I guess everyone is good at something.

Winning would cure this but we've been in the territory of not being able to lead ourselves out of a wet paper bag. It's infectious!

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Or FIfe had a year to correct his mistakes and mesh.  The bottom line, for right or wrong, is that if a head coach and assistant are not on the same page, the assistant will and should be gone.  Nothing good would come from the combination.

People complain just to complain. Why is the sun shining, dang it it's raining again. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

People complain just to complain. Why is the sun shining, dang it it's raining again. 

And some pump just to pump. And then the majority fall somewhere in between. How boring would this place be if everyone agreed on everything?

I was enjoying the sun yesterday while watching the storm clouds roll in. Just as I was heading back outside it started to pour, not long after reaching my destination and getting back inside the sun returned. Such is life. As Hawaiians say "No rain no rainbows." As Alaskonians say "Enjoy the two weeks of summer."

59 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

An assistant basketball coach is back page news on a slow day at best.  The only people making it a story are those who act like Fife getting fired is a personal affront to them.

I think OSU lost an assistant a few days ago. I wonder if their board has 23 pages about it...

I do understand that this is not just any assistant, but still...

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yes, Dolson made it clear to Dane that he was working for Woodson. The next head coach would be decided when that time came. But instead, he went around Assembly Hall, around the state, around to anyone who would listen that the coach was going to get fired and he was going to be the head coach. He was rooting or hoping for this scenario. Actually telling AAU coaches that Woodson didn't know what he was doing. Are you Ok with that at your job?

Anyone doing that kind of thing in my office would have been gone asap.

Oh Dan what the hell were you thinking? You don’t do that from a professional or even human decency standpoint.  My worry with Coach Woodson (my impression, I don’t know if true) is that he’s quite stubborn and is prone not to listen to criticism to make adjustments. Even if my belief is true, I still wouldn’t do that to my boss. 

20 hours ago, Trish said:

Fife wanted the Indiana job last spring. Dolson hired him which was a great idea, credit to him.

Woodson didn't use Fife or perhaps any of his assistants for that matter? Fife is a respected B1G coach and D1 coach. 

I'm assuming Woodson didn't like Fife not being a yes man. He wasn't Woodson's guy which I do understand in the business it's all about having your "friends" on staff. I'm worried about Woodson's old school ways going forward but we'll see. He needs to flip this roster completely this summer. 

I disagree with the second sentence as I think it was an absolutely horrible idea for Dolson to hire Fife (or any assistant) . The head coach should decide who is on his staff.

And why are some jumping to the conclusion that Woody needs yes-men? What is that based on?

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

From knowing the people involved I choose B

If Fire is such a putz, how does he get hired then?   Either way it’s spun, it’s bad on IU.   

and for the record I could give a rats behind about fife.  Don’t know the dude and was long gone during his playing days.  Just not thrilled with the way things went down and I’m seeing some red flags thru my crimson colored glasses.  Was hoping this dysfunction was behind us.  

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I disagree with the second sentence as I think it was an absolutely horrible idea for Dolson to hire Fife (or any assistant) . The head coach should decide who is on his staff.

And why are some jumping to the conclusion that Woody needs yes-men? What is that based on?

I wouldn’t necessarily say “yes men” but clearly guys he agreed with.  It seems strange to pay NBA buddies as consultants for a college team.  I would think old seasoned college lifers would be better to pick their brains.  

I think the real takeaway here is that Dane Fife was one bad cat. I mean he had a completely different bag from Woodson. I mean, he just couldn't groove. And when two cats can't groove to the same tune...one of them gets fired and the "Facebook dad" contingent of the IU fanbase gets real, real mad.

It seems to me after looking at everything, that maybe instead of there having to be a "bad guy" in this situation, what if there are really no bad guys here?  Woody and Dane are both Alpha males, and both love the IU program, and both wanted to bring the program back to its previous success.  They both have the same intentions for IU, but as is normal, they are different people with different ideas about how to accomplish the same task, and simply did not see eye to eye on how to accomplish that task, and didn't gel as co-workers.  Thus Woody as the head coach, moved on from Dane, the assistant coach. 

The only thing I see as wrong in this situation, is in the wording of the press release. It did not make Woody look good at all.  It made Woody appear shallow, and like he was throwing Dane under the bus.  Maybe Woody did not even intend for this to be the way the press release came off.  The administration and media staff at IU should have ensured that the press release made Woody and Dane look good.  They did not do their job in my opinion.