Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

How common is it to pay consultants to figure out basketball for a college team?  I don’t know the ins and outs of college basketball but if a coach has 30 plus years Of experience, 15 assistants, an extra ad that was a coach and Seeing as they aren’t being paid chump change can’t they figure this kinda thing out on their own?  

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Where have you been for the last year? A lot has been reported. It was reported that he offered Myles Colvin when he was not supposed to. He tweeted out not liking the NIL, then told Rabby that he got in trouble from the university for it. That was on the radio show yesterday. Fife said on the DD show that coaching Indiana kids and coaches kids are the worst. He later said he was just joking but the athletic department took a lot of calls from Indiana high school coaches mad about him saying that on air. These are all things that were reported. This isn't even necessarily all the bad things he did. 

Again, show me where any of this has been reported, with actual quotes.  Being a message board huckster and a journalist are two different things.  Fife's comment about Indiana kids was the most harmless tongue in cheek joke ever.  He included himself in the joke.  It was obvious, unless you want to gin up message board drama.  And you really believe Fife is calling up Rabjohns to confess his mistakes?  On what planet does that make even an ounce of sense.  Just stop with the sycophantic nonsense.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

Dane just needs to go get the Evansville job with Michael Lewis the favorite for Ball State and move on. That way he can try an out this in the rear view. IU needs to get a new assistant hired so they can do the same. 

Dane + Lander to Evansville probably contends with UNI and Loyola in the MVC. He could flip this narrative pretty quickly if successful.

10 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

Again, show me where any of this has been reported, with actual quotes.  Being a message board huckster and a journalist are two different things.  Fife's comment about Indiana kids was the most harmless tongue in cheek joke ever.  He included himself in the joke.  It was obvious, unless you want to gin up message board drama.  And you really believe Fife is calling up Rabjohns to confess his mistakes?  On what planet does that make even an ounce of sense.  Just stop with the sycophantic nonsense.

First of all you clearly have no idea how the world works. Fife is not the source, it's other people in the program.  And if you give up sources that don't want to be given up, you're not going to be a reporter for very long.

Second, if you want to say we can't be 100% sure that what Rabjohns is saying is true then I agree, we can't. But what's your theory then? Why was Dane fired? The "you can't believe everything you read on the internet" argument is certainly foolproof but also lazy and ultimately meaningless.

56 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I'm sorry but this post is absolute nonsense. It's not hard to tell when people are being overtly political, like talking about political candidates, or political parties, or hot-button political issues.

Your argument is akin to saying you can't single someone out for sexual harassment because there are sexual undertones to everything we do.

This has no context to the situation. We’re not talking about sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is illegal, big difference.

again, what did he say to the kids or talk about repeatedly. Unless you are going to say what he specifically said, this is nonsense

31 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Dane + Lander to Evansville probably contends with UNI and Loyola in the MVC. He could flip this narrative pretty quickly if successful.

That program needs a whooooole lot more than just Dane Fife and Khristian Lander. That's a brutal place to try to revive a career for either of them.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Solid early on but go on their premium board and they were nit surprised.   Most were saying if he wouldn’t of gone to IU when he did that izzo would of moved away from him in his own staff changes 

So in other words, Dolson et al didn’t do their homework? There were warning signs while he was at MSU, was going to get fired and IU didn’t look into that to avoid yet another debacle with a high profile alum, causing more wedges and divides…

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

But these aren't sides to a story. What is being said are facts. They were things that happened. They were things that were documented by IU. When you get reprimanded it's not just one side of the story. 

I am sure Dane will have his "side" at some point.  I am one to think some of this is being embellished for dramatic purposes.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I am sure Dane will have his "side" at some point.  I am one to think some of this is being embellished for dramatic purposes.  

It doesn't have to be embellished to be fireable. Dane gave his employer a LOT of ammo to use. 

26 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

This has no context to the situation. We’re not talking about sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is illegal, big difference.

again, what did he say to the kids or talk about repeatedly. Unless you are going to say what he specifically said, this is nonsense

OK, so we're going with the "unless you have actual quotes, a tape recording, and a written confession from Dane Fife then I refuse to believe anything that was said!" defense. Got it.

Reminds of of a certain Chappelle's show skit.

59 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He wasn't going to leave if this didn't happen. I really think in his mind he was the next head coach, so let's hurry up and get Mike Woodson out of here so I can take over. He openly talked to people that he was the coach in waiting which was never true. 

There's the insecurity woody felt with Fife on staff.  And the root cause of the move -- everything is looked thru that lens.  You can't have two chiefs -- I get it.  However, whether written, stated, communicated, or not, the clear implication when Fife was hired was he was the "next guy" due to Woodson's age, etc.  Was there anything from the AD to refute that?  Or did they just let it fester because it seemed good, until now?  

8 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Based on the things I’ve heard and seen Dane say and tweet to the public (not conjecture, the evidence was put out for all to see by Dane himself)… I don’t think this is being embellished. He has said some things so obviously moronic in his position that anyone with a brain could tell him were damaging to him and IU. Then he clearly showed he was incapable of not running his mouth by doing it again and again. I was happy when he got hired but his behavior has been bizarre and rubbed me the wrong way. Apparently it rubbed important people the wrong way too. I hate that it had to be this way but if he says certain things in public, imagine what he says when a mic is not on… you just can’t have that when your job is to recruit and make people like you. 

Edited by Hoosiereyedoc

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

There's the insecurity woody felt with Fife on staff.  And the root cause of the move -- everything is looked thru that lens.  You can't have two chiefs -- I get it.  However, whether written, stated, communicated, or not, the clear implication when Fife was hired was he was the "next guy" due to Woodson's age, etc.  Was there anything from the AD to refute that?  Or did they just let it fester because it seemed good, until now?  

Fife isnt a chief lol 

He isn't close to a chief. 

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

So in other words, Dolson et al didn’t do their homework? There were warning signs while he was at MSU, was going to get fired and IU didn’t look into that to avoid yet another debacle with a high profile alum, causing more wedges and divides…

It is tough for IU to spin this.  Either way, it's bad.  Time will heal the wound, but geeze.  

1 hour ago, Mopladysman said:

How common is it to pay consultants to figure out basketball for a college team?  I don’t know the ins and outs of college basketball but if a coach has 30 plus years Of experience, 15 assistants, an extra ad that was a coach and Seeing as they aren’t being paid chump change can’t they figure this kinda thing out on their own?  

They use consultants quite a bit in SEC football. Saban at Alabama has a bunch. And pro sports including the NBA uses consultants. Obviously in the business world consultants are used all the time. I was a business consultant once. No benefits, but a nice side gig.