Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

What, his legacy as a head coach at Fort Wayne?  

Fife hasn’t lost anything.  He’ll be an assistant coach again next year.  And if he wanted to take a mid major head job, he had a chance to do so and then made their athletic department look like fools when he backed out after taking the job. It seems to me like he has made a life out of assuming he’s a coach in waiting.

His job.   40 something with kids.  Fired from his alma mater.  Rumors of insubordination.  Not a good look for him.  

4 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

That tweet looks like it was taken down, can anyone provide any sort of clue as to what people are alluding to here?

Rabjohns just said that no one close to the program would be surprised at Fife's firing. Rather, they'd be surprised if he wasn't fired. 

Wait, am I allowed to say that now that it was taken down? I don't know the rules. I'm just some schmuck stuck in Michigan.

Edited by Cliche

8 minutes ago, Cliche said:

Maybe he's not a bad dude, but maybe he screwed up. You've got multiple people in this thread referring to instances in the year where he went against Woodson's express orders. I don't know him either, but it seems like there's a lot of smoke. If that's the case, letting him go now is the way of having it be handled smoother. This is the time for coaching changes, it will get lost in the dozens of other schools making switches. 

This firing is not going to torpedo Fife's career. If that could do it, Archie Miller would be unemployed today. 

Coaching Rhode Island is employed?  :). 

Just now, Golfman25 said:

His job.   40 something with kids.  Fired from his alma mater.  Rumors of insubordination.  Not a good look for him.  

You would think that he would have been better at it, then.  Forget anything about any rumors…..he flat out couldn’t recruit.

He wasn’t the first guy fired from his alma mater and sure won’t be the last.

5 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Dude went from the hottest thing in college ball to where again.  :)

The nice thing about the editing feature is that you can replace a silly thing you said in the heat of the moment.

Edited by Cliche

12 minutes ago, Cliche said:

Rabjohns just said that no one close to the program would be surprised at Fife's firing. Rather, they'd be surprised if he wasn't fired. 

Wait, am I allowed to say that now that it was taken down? I don't know the rules. I'm just some schmuck stuck in Michigan.

Don’t worry about it, that is a throw away in terms of value

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

You would think that he would have been better at it, then.  Forget anything about any rumors…..he flat out couldn’t recruit.

He wasn’t the first guy fired from his alma mater and sure won’t be the last.

He’s been here less than 1 year. He flat out couldn’t recruit? He’s been a solid recruiter for a decade, I doubt he forgot how. Just because he didn’t personally lead the recruitment for the few commits we got doesn’t mean much to me. 

Don’t worry about it, that is a throw away in terms of value

Yah. What he posted behind the paywall. Can be petty much summarized as the following

Multiple acts of insubordination. Despite being asked Multiple times to cut the *****

Aka. He got fired. Like any of us would if we got written up for multiple acts of insubordination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, WayneShadowIU said:

There are some folks on Twitter (FWIW) strongly implying this is related to politics. Like, national politics. January 6th kind of stuff.

I would doubt that.  That was fourteen months before he was hired.

Now it’s just lip service when you tell ex Indiana players and fans/ alumni we are getting back to the Indiana way. I believe this was handled very badly and inexcusable for a former player. I can tell you there’s one devil especially happy to hear this news. The original burn the damn thing down Myles Brand and his NCAA ex minions along with every coach in the Big 10 that we recruit against. This is how we continue to treat ex players. Shame on Mike Woodson.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I would doubt that.  That was fourteen months before he was hired.

To be more clear, the implication is is that Dane had some very strong views and was very vocal in letting those views be know. Sounds like a lot of players were turned off by it.