Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

I have to disagree with you there - CMW does nothing have the most skin in the game and in fact I would say he has the least amongst the core staff. Matta wants to be an AD, Fife and other coaches want to be head coaches etc and many are far from ready to call it quits. Their futures are on the line. I’m the flip side, Woody could have already retired, he’s old and rich…

Being old just means you have less future opportunity and more urgency to win now.  Every assistant coach, if let go, will move on to another assistant job,  

8 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Because every rumor that has ever been laid out on this site has been true, yeah?

Billy is coming. emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Cool.  So don’t believe it.  Just not sure why you are asking for reasons and when they are given, you say they aren’t given.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Being old just means you have less future opportunity and more urgency to win now.  Every assistant coach, if let go, will move on to another assistant job,  

Not only that, but he has a Legacy at IU!  He could've left that be, but he wanted to try to get IUBB back to where it should be.  If he fails, he has a lot more to lose than anybody else on this staff!

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I have to disagree with you there - CMW does nothing have the most skin in the game and in fact I would say he has the least amongst the core staff. Matta wants to be an AD, Fife and other coaches want to be head coaches etc and many are far from ready to call it quits. Their futures are on the line. I’m the flip side, Woody could have already retired, he’s old and rich…

What I meant was that CMW has the most to lose if he can't restore the IU brand. He had very little to gain by taking the job. He can only tarnish his reputation by failing here. And, for the record, I don't think he will.

8 minutes ago, iubb said:

Insubordination.

And I will leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that means nothing.  Was it the recruiting offer to the Purdue kid or something else.  What the blank did he do?  And if it was so bad, why not unload him during the season.  The whole thing smells 

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

What I meant was that CMW has the most to lose if he can't restore the IU brand. He had very little to gain by taking the job. He can only tarnish his reputation by failing here. And, for the record, I don't think he will.

What, his reputation of an average NBA coach?  Frankly, fife had a lot to lose and he lost it.  

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah that means nothing.  Was it the recruiting offer to the Purdue kid or something else.  What the blank did he do?  And if it was so bad, why not unload him during the season.  The whole thing smells 

What smells about it? If he didn't fit with Woodson, he's gone. They gave it a year, it didn't work. College programs make these changes all the time. There's a reason they call it a coaching carousel. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Is it true? I always love these statements.

I guess that would depend on each individual and what they think.  But I’m guessing an Indiana coach going on a late night bender praising another B1G 10 schools student section and saying IU’s has to get better is something one could keep to themselves after having a few 

2 hours ago, IGotMeAWoody said:

I'd guess the org tree would place Thad under Dolson, but I was under the impression that he'd have some type of close day-to-day role with the team. I think Mark said on a different episode that Thad was definitely interested in being an AD down the road. It's a matter of time till the right position opens and he leaves. My wild guess is Butler

Dolson is showing Thad how not to run an athletic Dept. 

5 minutes ago, Cliche said:

What smells about it? If he didn't fit with Woodson, he's gone. They gave it a year, it didn't work. College programs make these changes all the time. There's a reason they call it a coaching carousel. 

It smells because it’s turning into Fife’s a bad dude.  Maybe he is, I don’t know him. If it’s a not a fit issue it can usually be handled smoother.  

Better to let him go after the season and put him on a PIP till then. Otherwise firing him during the season will just cause more distractions.

And yes. It means a lot. Any other job you will be fired for insubordination. Especially multiple acts of insubordination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I guess that would depend on each individual and what they think.  But I’m guessing an Indiana coach going on a late night bender praising another B1G 10 schools student section and saying IU’s has to get better is something one could keep to themselves after having a few 

Good entertainment value in it. I wonder what an objective person attending both would think.

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

What, his reputation of an average NBA coach?  Frankly, fife had a lot to lose and he lost it.  

I think this may be a generational conversation. I was thinking about Woodson's reputation as a well respected player. I am an old guy here and Fife is way down my list of former players. If Fife has the coaching chops, he will be fine. I hope he finds a better fit. CMW signed on to restore IU basketball to the elite level. If he fails to do that, then yes, I think he takes the bigger hit.

11 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

What, his legacy as a head coach at Fort Wayne?  

Fife hasn’t lost anything.  He’ll be an assistant coach again next year.  And if he wanted to take a mid major head job, he had a chance to do so and then made their athletic department look like fools when he backed out after taking the job. It seems to me like he has made a life out of assuming he’s a coach in waiting.

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It smells because it’s turning into Fife’s a bad dude.  Maybe he is, I don’t know him. If it’s a not a fit issue it can usually be handled smoother.  

Maybe he's not a bad dude, but maybe he screwed up. You've got multiple people in this thread referring to instances in the year where he went against Woodson's express orders. I don't know him either, but it seems like there's a lot of smoke. If that's the case, letting him go now is the way of having it be handled smoother. This is the time for coaching changes, it will get lost in the dozens of other schools making switches. 

This firing is not going to torpedo Fife's career. If that could do it, Archie Miller would be unemployed today.