Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

Just now, Capt. Crimson said:

The first cracks in the Archie administration was when we all saw him and Bruiser arguing on the sidelines.

He just fired a guy we all thought was going to be our next head coach after 1 year.

Certainly can’t say it looks like a good thing. Maybe it’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Your opinion is fine, but it seems to be in the overwhelming minority.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

The first cracks in the Archie administration was when we all saw him and Bruiser arguing on the sidelines.

He just fired a guy we all thought was going to be our next head coach after 1 year.

It’s only a bad thing if he was good at his job, which all the rumblings say he wasn’t, so..

1 minute ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Was it a good look for Michigan State when Fife left there after ten years for a team that hadn't been to the tournament in five years?  In the end, anyone's assumption that Fife would be Woodson's succesor were nothing more than assumptions.  Might have mistakenly been Fife's assumption before.  Have to say that when Fife accepted the George Washington job ( I believe it was GW) after accepting the job, it didn't sit right with me....I think he assumed he was going to get Michigan State's job when Izzo retired.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Sure sounds like Fife was fired.

Really disappointed this didn't work out.

You had an Indiana grad who wanted nothing more than to coach at IU -- and for some reason or another, it didn't work. 

In interviews, etc., Fife seemed like a bright guy, was very well-spoken, etc. -- wonder what the problem is? Not that those traits necessarily equate to being a good coach, however. 

One thing has always had me curious: All those years on Izzo's staff, why didn't Dane get a gig running his own team? That just seems sorta strange to me. I recall at one point, he was slated to get the Duquesne job -- but that fell apart.  

Maybe someone at Duquesne talked to someone at IPFW and, as a result, decided to go in a different direction.

Was it a good look for Michigan State when Fife left there after ten years for a team that hadn't been to the tournament in five years?  In the end, anyone's assumption that Fife would be Woodson's succesor were nothing more than assumptions.  Might have mistakenly been Fife's assumption before.  Have to say that when Fife accepted the George Washington job ( I believe it was GW) after accepting the job, it didn't sit right with me....I think he assumed he was going to get Michigan State's job when Izzo retired.

Don’t think anyone ever takes too much heat for going back to their alma mater. Izzo is one of the best CBB coaches of all time. Think it says a lot that Fife was there for that long.

15 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

I don’t think many people thought Fife was going to be the next coach. But if you’re going to be mad at someone other than Fife, then Dolson would be a good place to start. I think it was a mistake telling Woodson he had to have Fife & announcing him before Woody.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don’t think many people thought Fife was going to be the next coach. But if you’re going to be mad at someone other than Fife, then Dolson would be a good place to start. I think it was a mistake telling Woodson he had to have Fife & announcing him before Woody.

But I think hiring a 63 year old with no college coaching experience was an even much bigger mistake.  Almost every NBA guy to college coach has been an enormous disaster. 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Having an assistant coach that turned out wasn’t a good fit isn’t automatically IU eating their own.   Sometimes things just don’t work out and nobody is at fault 

No, somebody must be at fault and the sky must be falling always!

Those are the rules and there can be no exceptions.