Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You aren't getting it. As an Asst Coach if you do something you are flat out told NOT to do, you're leaving your job security up to chance. 

I understand that.  But it's a red flag on woody, imo.  

29 minutes ago, VO5 said:

And this is why Its not a real loss he’s gone. Go get a bag man Woody. If he never played at IU fans wouldn’t care but since he did it’s somehow a sky is falling scenario. Fans need to let go of the emotional ties and look at this through a clear lens. 

Sounds like a good plan... but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. 

Admittedly, I preferred Lewis over Fife originally, but bottom line is he didn't produce any noticeable benefit for the team and teams cannot afford to have an AC that doesn't provide something of major value. 

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

It was known that he butted heads with Izzo at times but Izzo didn’t want yes men. Woody I’m not so sure…

That said, his departure from Michigan State for IU seemed very strange.  He was leaving for another assistant job in the Big Ten.  Even if it's for his alma mater, a lateral move after ten years at the same place usually indicates some issues.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

That said, his departure from Michigan State for IU seemed very strange.  He was leaving for another assistant job in the Big Ten.  Even if it's for his alma mater, a lateral move after ten years at the same place usually indicates some issues.

As I have said I feel pretty good in saying he wore out his welcome at MSU and would not of been there much longer. Fife needs to look in the mirror.

48 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Myles Colven a Purdue recruit. Woodson told all juniors they had to visit campus before getting an offer, Fife went out the next day and offer Colvin who was already telling people he was going to Purdue like his dad. 

For the record, this isn't Chris just hearing information now to make the Fife firing look 'good' for IU.  A very bright poster had messaged me earlier in the year about there being a bad recruiting issue with him before the season started.

I'd say TJD would have zero impact on Geronimo's decision unless both Race and Trayce returned. 

I agree. Assume that JG would/could play the 4. Never the 5. So if one of Race or Trayce come back, then it wouldn’t effect him at the 4. He’ll even if both came back, would Geronimo at the 3 be such a bad thing? Can’t be worse than Kopp right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, cleeter said:

I agree. Assume that JG would/could play the 4. Never the 5. So if one of Race or Trayce come back, then it wouldn’t effect him at the 4. He’ll even if both came back, would Geronimo at the 3 be such a bad thing? Can’t be worse than Kopp right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If JG works on his ball handling he could play the 3

Just now, btownqb said:

Its a much larger one for Dane, unfortunately, it was a reason it cost him his job. 

100% true. Woodson deserves a small part of the blame, but Fife most of it and needs re-evaluate how he handles himself in a job if he doesn't want to keep moving on every couple years. 

Wtf are you doing Woody… not a good look imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I don't think it is. It's really hard to dee if he actually did anything. Ya and hunter did all of the recruiting, so what did he do that made this team better or to add to building this team up.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Focusing on Rob’s defense is like focusing on Trayce’s dunking ability. Rob was already a good defender. Isn’t a coach there to improve a player’s weaknesses? If folks are going to say that Fife was a big help to the guards, it can’t be ignored when a player’s weaknesses get worse. 

What was strange was that Rob was basically effective when X was in the game with him, but not really when X was out.  

CBBanalytics:  With X and Phin on the court at the same time, IU was +20.2 per 100 possessions.  When just X was on the court, IU was +13.3.  When Phin was on the court but not X, IU was -8.2.

The problem was that size wise, there are lineups where you simply can't play them together.  For the year, they only played 172 minutes together.  

I’m not all that shocked honestly.  I enjoyed Fife and his grit as a player. He’s around my age.  I thought he’d be an excellent assistant coach based on basketball knowledge/Izzo carryover and toughness.  I listened to a lot of his interviews with the Hoosier Hysterics guys and others and I thought he was very smug.  Dry sense of humor. I don’t mind that too much but I could see him butting heads with folks with that personality.  I wish him well and wished it could have worked out, but anything that makes Indiana basketball better, I’m here for.  

I want and assistant that can help Indiana land top talent.  Most important role as an assistant IMO.  

Why is this “not a good look”?? 

The first cracks in the Archie administration was when we all saw him and Bruiser arguing on the sidelines.

He just fired a guy we all thought was going to be our next head coach after 1 year.

Certainly can’t say it looks like a good thing. Maybe it’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app