Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

8 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

It’s known he listened to his consultants more than the assistants. Fife probably didn’t keep his mouth shut about it and got shown the door

Maybe but Fife also comes off as a know-it-all and a jack-@$$. Whether listening to consultants overt Fife is good or bad I don't know but Fife def caused division amongst the staff.    

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I follow an untold number of Twitter accounts that relate to IU basketball and I will tell you that there is not a universal moaning and groaning.  Many have in so many words expressed the same words and thoughts that several on btb already have about Dane.  Again, I'm not happy it happened but when you're in management there are times you have to make unpopular management decisions.  I've been there and done that and I know a lot of you have as well.  

Sorry -- not trying to be difficult, but I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to express here. 

Are you saying there is not much moaning and groaning in Twitterspehere on Dane's departure? Or there is?

And are they speculating that Dane wasn't a good fit? 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Sorry -- not trying to be difficult, but I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to express here. 

Are you saying there is not much moaning and groaning in Twitterspehere on Dane's departure? YES

Or there is? NO

And are they speculating that Dane wasn't a good fit? YES

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Are you saying there is not much moaning and groaning in Twitterspehere on Dane's departure? Or there is?

And are they speculating that Dane wasn't a good fit? 

Interpretation from what on here and elsewhere have said - he's a bigger masshole (remove the m) than Brad and thought highly of himself while letting others know. I believe he wasn't a fan of some of Woody's ATO plays and let him know.

42 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Coaching staffs roll over all the time.  

Without going into whether it's for the best or not, this just isn't the normal coaching situation.

This is Fife coming back to IU from MSU, the whole bring back the IU guys thing, with Fife as a key piece, and his being (apparently) unhappy with his role and leaving within a year. 

I'll be interested to hear how this comes out, but at this point I have to agree it's just not a good look.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's not a good or bad look.

When the head coach doesn't know college assistants but has to hire some, he's dealing with personalities that he has no idea about.

Dane and Woody did not click. That's why one of his top lieutenants was Armond Hill. Hill and Kenya are the ones that sat next to Woody during games. That should speak volumes.

This 10000000%. I don’t think this is really that big of a deal. I laugh when people say he was the best assistant. Based on what? Him being a good player here?

I wonder how much of our defensive improvement was due to Dane Fife. I always figured he was pretty instrumental there, and he had good experience recruiting in this conference. 

Sad it didn't work out, but more perplexed by it all.

Ultimately it seems this is on Dolson. Why hire an assistant before the head coach?

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Remember Dane was against the NIL, didn't land a single recruit, said MSU had the best student section, and p*ssed off HS coaches around Indiana. Also offered a recruit when he was told not to. I like Dane as a person but don't feel sorry for him

I missed where he pissed off high school coaches…?

I liked Fife as a player. But what has he done as an assistant coach? Fife was hired at least partially to recruit. But he has not been responsible for bringing any of the players who have come in since Mike Woodson was hired.  Maybe it was lack of production? 

Thank you for your time as a Hoosier player and coach Dane.

Didn't he work with the guards?  If so he did a phenomenal job.  X improved from terrible to one of our best players during the year.  Phinisee improved from horrendous to not as horrendous during the year.  Big loss if so.