Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Do we know that is good though? I don't know. What are the end of bench scholarship guys getting at UK, MSU, Duke, Michigan, OSU, etc?

It's only good if it's comparable or higher than the schools we're competing against for kids. 

I'm not saying this to complain or anything, I just don't have a frame of reference for how good $38K for NIL at this level. 

Well, it's about 15+k a month for the bottom of the earners, I'd say that's pretty good. Nigel Pack got about 33k per month, on average.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:57 PM, Southside said:

A large part of me finds this simply sad... in terms of where CBB has ended up. 

The other small part hopes we pay the most lol. 

I am in complete agreement. I’ve always found it completely intolerable to hear professional athletes whine about their “financial hardships” because they “only” make $2 million per year while some other athletes in their sport are making $3 million per year. It’s ego-driven and greedy, and no attempt to make me or someone who truly struggles (often at jobs we would love to say goodbye to) feel sympathetic isn’t going to be successful. Now there will be bidding wars for college athletes while some other kids sitting next to them in their classrooms are stacking up crippling debt for their future with massive student loans. 

Although I will miss knowing each of the players on the roster are at Indiana for their academics, the coaches, and/or the historical program and its fans, the likelihood of players choosing Indiana primarily for lucrative amounts of NIL money is something that will be in the back of my mind going forward…and I, too, would like to watch Indiana basketball stacking up wins again and want to know we’re making it worthwhile for the players (as if playing in Assembly Hall wasn’t enough). I do believe players should be paid (at minimum, for their time in practice, team meetings, travel, and performance on the court which adds exposure to the university), but to think that an 18-year old bench warmer may feel underpaid at $19,000 per month is a gross thought…and an entitled perspective. I’m not saying any of the players feel this way, but if so, then I wish them the best at finding a career which pays them so well…because there are many people in this world making less than $38,000 in an entire year. As I’ve said before, though, people drop their loyalty to a company on a regular basis to increase their salaries elsewhere, and I can’t blame any kid for choosing his or her most lucrative path and they should have that choice if the choice presents itself. 

1 hour ago, ray said:

I am in complete agreement. I’ve always found it completely intolerable to hear professional athletes whine about their “financial hardships” because they “only” make $2 million per year while some other athletes in their sport are making $3 million per year. It’s ego-driven and greedy, and no attempt to make me or someone who truly struggles (often at jobs we would love to say goodbye to) feel sympathetic isn’t going to be successful. Now there will be bidding wars for college athletes while some other kids sitting next to them in their classrooms are stacking up crippling debt for their future with massive student loans. 

Although I will miss knowing each of the players on the roster are at Indiana for their academics, the coaches, and/or the historical program and its fans, the likelihood of players choosing Indiana primarily for lucrative amounts of NIL money is something that will be in the back of my mind going forward…and I, too, would like to watch Indiana basketball stacking up wins again and want to know we’re making it worthwhile for the players (as if playing in Assembly Hall wasn’t enough). I do believe players should be paid (at minimum, for their time in practice, team meetings, travel, and performance on the court which adds exposure to the university), but to think that an 18-year old bench warmer may feel underpaid at $19,000 per month is a gross thought…and an entitled perspective. I’m not saying any of the players feel this way, but if so, then I wish them the best at finding a career which pays them so well…because there are many people in this world making less than $38,000 in an entire year. As I’ve said before, though, people drop their loyalty to a company on a regular basis to increase their salaries elsewhere, and I can’t blame any kid for choosing his or her most lucrative path and they should have that choice if the choice presents itself. 

Say Indiana, which has one of the top five classical music programs in the country, has an opera prodigy that performs in a Jacobs School production, is discovered while doing so, and gets a six figure recording contract while still attending IU. Moreover, the student's IU classical performances are moved from the 100 seat Ford-Crawford Hall (at $10 per ticket) to the 3,000+ seat main campus auditorium at $50 per ticket.

Does that bother you also, and if not what is the difference?

59 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Say Indiana, which has one of the top five classical music programs in the country, has an opera prodigy that performs in a Jacobs School production, is discovered while doing so, and gets a six figure recording contract while still attending IU. Moreover, the student's IU classical performances are moved from the 100 seat Ford-Crawford Hall (at $10 per ticket) to the 3,000+ seat main campus auditorium at $50 per ticket.

Does that bother you also, and if not what is the difference?

She would be paid to record new music for the record company. This goes beyond what she is doing for her academic scholarship. Some of the money being tossed around for the NIL deals seem to be solely to recruit or maintain a student athlete with little to nothing done in return. Like I said, I don’t blame the students for taking what’s presented to them. If they can benefit from signing paperwork and doing nothing in return, then fine. If they can benefit from taking pictures and being the face for advertising, then that’s a little better (and no different than modeling). If they can be paid for benefiting a good cause, then that’s even better. Still, like I said, I will question what reasons the students choose to play at Indiana (or elsewhere), and whether those reasons will keep a player from turning down a better offer at another university…which could cause constant turnover (more than we’ve already seen) and continuous bidding wars…and all in the name of more money. And, again, I said in my post it’s no different than an accountant finding a higher paying firm to work for. I get it, and I don’t blame the student athletes. It’s just not what I wanted to see in college sports.  It’s my opinion. I’m not asking anyone to agree with that opinion. I do think it’s different. We aren’t asking the players to play extra games for their reward or play in a better venue, but merely asking them to do what they’ve already been under contract to do (in most cases). I’m sure some athletes are working hard for something they care about. Mostly, though, I bet it’s a paycheck that just comes freely or with very little effort. Perhaps I’m wrong, and maybe they have to work hard for their $38,000 summer paychecks, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the case in some (and probably most) places. NIL potentially evens the playing field between the programs previously sliding money under the table and those that always did things more ethically, but only for the universities with passionate fans and large donor bases. It will likely destroy the Cinderella story I love so much about college basketball. Again, it’s just my opinion.

And, I’ll add, the move to a different venue will be additional money for the university. It will not go to the student opera prodigy. She would need to book her own performance hall or hire an agent to do so for her. Her paycheck will come from recording NEW music on her own time, not from ticket sales…unless you want to rework her contract to include ticket sales, but that wasn’t specified in your scenario…and something tells me she would perform in the larger venue for more exposure, but that she will not be offered additional compensation for her performance. 

2 hours ago, ray said:

She would be paid to record new music for the record company. This goes beyond what she is doing for her academic scholarship. Some of the money being tossed around for the NIL deals seem to be solely to recruit or maintain a student athlete with little to nothing done in return. Like I said, I don’t blame the students for taking what’s presented to them. If they can benefit from signing paperwork and doing nothing in return, then fine. If they can benefit from taking pictures and being the face for advertising, then that’s a little better (and no different than modeling). If they can be paid for benefiting a good cause, then that’s even better. Still, like I said, I will question what reasons the students choose to play at Indiana (or elsewhere), and whether those reasons will keep a player from turning down a better offer at another university…which could cause constant turnover (more than we’ve already seen) and continuous bidding wars…and all in the name of more money. And, again, I said in my post it’s no different than an accountant finding a higher paying firm to work for. I get it, and I don’t blame the student athletes. It’s just not what I wanted to see in college sports.  It’s my opinion. I’m not asking anyone to agree with that opinion. I do think it’s different. We aren’t asking the players to play extra games for their reward or play in a better venue, but merely asking them to do what they’ve already been under contract to do (in most cases). I’m sure some athletes are working hard for something they care about. Mostly, though, I bet it’s a paycheck that just comes freely or with very little effort. Perhaps I’m wrong, and maybe they have to work hard for their $38,000 summer paychecks, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the case in some (and probably most) places. NIL potentially evens the playing field between the programs previously sliding money under the table and those that always did things more ethically, but only for the universities with passionate fans and large donor bases. It will likely destroy the Cinderella story I love so much about college basketball. Again, it’s just my opinion.

And, I’ll add, the move to a different venue will be additional money for the university. It will not go to the student opera prodigy. She would need to book her own performance hall or hire an agent to do so for her. Her paycheck will come from recording NEW music on her own time, not from ticket sales…unless you want to rework her contract to include ticket sales, but that wasn’t specified in your scenario…and something tells me she would perform in the larger venue for more exposure, but that she will not be offered additional compensation for her performance. 

TBH I’ve become less of a fan of NIL too. At first it didn’t really bother me. But now it’s obvious that it’s being used to get players to particular schools. Like the transfer who got $800k to commit to Miami. He isn’t getting $800k for NIL. He’s getting it because some billionaire donor had some pocket change and felt like using it to improve Miami’s basketball team. Or the Pitt WR who got $3.5 million to transfer to USC. It’s not my money. But it’s free agency and it will change what college sports are like. With the transfer portal it’s going to be a mess. It is what it is, I suppose. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

TBH I’ve become less of a fan of NIL too. At first it didn’t really bother me. But now it’s obvious that it’s being used to get players to particular schools. Like the transfer who got $800k to commit to Miami. He isn’t getting $800k for NIL. He’s getting it because some billionaire donor had some pocket change and felt like using it to improve Miami’s basketball team. Or the Pitt WR who got $3.5 million to transfer to USC. It’s not my money. But it’s free agency and it will change what college sports are like. With the transfer portal it’s going to be a mess. It is what it is, I suppose. 

The market system for good players was rampant in football and basketball for a long time. Not just for 5 star players either.  

If you follow recruiting rankings, NIL won’t change much. The top paying dogs will still be the top paying dogs. 

I do wish it could be regulated in some way but I don’t see any way to do that, that will prevent the motivated from skirting the rules to win players. 

16 hours ago, ray said:

Yup. In pro-sports, I liken them to first world problems. Players demanding new contracts with multiple years left, etc., make me want to puke. Not that I'm siding with owners or anything, I just find the whole thing detached from reality. 

Money coming to colleges is what it is. The cow (cash cow) is not going back into the barn though lol. I'd say at minimum, if they're going to make 100+K a year, then they should be required to pay their own tuition lol. Not that's some legislation I could get behind. 

But it's not just sports that turn me off when it comes to colleges/universities. The whole thing seems to have become pretty gross. I have/had family that worked at PU (prof), as well as IU and ND. Things simply have really changed. I have all kinds of younger cousins and 2nd cousins in HS and college now. Heard way too many things that make me cringe lol. Last time I saw, only about a 1/3 of kids that go to college, graduate in 4 years. And of that, only about 40% actually use the degrees they got. 

On 8/10/2022 at 7:12 AM, ray said:

How do you feel about coaches? They have no loyalty beyond the paycheck and we idolize them. 

Personally, I find it much more gross that IU paid tens of millions to guys like Davis/Crean/Archie. Players making money doesn’t bother me nearly as much. 

17 hours ago, str8baller said:

How do you feel about coaches? They have no loyalty beyond the paycheck and we idolize them. 

Personally, I find it much more gross that IU paid tens of millions to guys like Davis/Crean/Archie. Players making money doesn’t bother me nearly as much. 

Personally, I don’t idolize any coach…but I am jealous of their paychecks. I think many coaches are grossly overpaid, as are most (all?) CEO’s.

Many universities don’t make enough money from athletics to cover the costs of supporting the teams…much fewer do than don’t. I read an article a few years back which listed revenue vs cost, and most college sports teams don’t make financial sense.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:25 PM, str8baller said:

I don't really idolize any coach unless they're perhaps HoF types and long in the teeth. If they bring deep runs, or NCs, I will however put them on a pedestal. 

But I'd say coaches are part of a clear profession. And professionals make money. There is no fuzziness around them being a student-coach lol, or amateur. Conversely though.... Right now, we're paying kids a ton of money, yet still calling them student athletes with amateur status still in check.

And I always wanted kids to get a bit more than just tuition. I thought living expenses was a no brainer, and thought there should be some type of deferred fund so that they'd make some off of jersey sales, etc.. That all seemed sensible to me... But now we've jumped the shark and turned the volume straight up to 11. Now boosters are pouring millions into NIL, not so kids can really earn it off the court, but simply to be the school that offers the most. 

Been looking around for NIL contribution opportunities as an indv, but I can't locate anyone other than the HH guys that have a "collection plate" for proper NIL contributions from fans or small businesses that don't want to negotiate deals directly with student athletes. The IU marketplace thru Opendorce I thought would be one to "pool" $$$ from multiple sources, but it doesn't appear that way.

Anybody got another source for indv's to contribute to the NIL acct for players?

If Indiana wants to stop losing recruiting battles we need to up our NIL game into the dark gray area soon.  It ain’t that hard. 

Gary Parrish says he knows one University is trying to promise 1 million minimum per scholarship position. I mean, that’s ludicrous, but is it?  Calipari makes almost 10 million a year. 13 million for a roster of your choosing may well be worth it. 

Indiana -Ballin’ on a Budget since ……..Forever.  

On 9/22/2022 at 3:45 PM, DWB said:

This sounds very interesting for Indv's and businesses to partner with a reputable organization for NIL. Hats off to TDH for bringing it to us.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/new-hoosiers-connect-nil-collective-brings-reputable-approach-to-for-profit-space/

Missed this when it was first posted, but seeing that Collin Hartman and Jared Jeffries are part of the group here is nice. This is 100% where my money would go.