Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, PB1230 said:

Under what circumstances would those teams be totally taken away? In a given year, there are only like 50ish power conferences teams that even have winning records, so you would need to allow teams with losing records for a power conference field of 64/68. 

The talk is the power 6 will split away from the rest of the conferences and those teams will make up the tournament leaving out the rest of them.

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If someone is willing to pay you what you value your services at, they aren't undervalued.  Nijel Pack is a 400K player not because of his talent level -- he's a 400K player because someone in the market is willing to pay him that.

Anyone, water is eventually going to find its level and the values will be in line with what they are worth.

I don't have any problem allowing the efficiency of markets to work. My issue is what you are describing is a professional relationship- players getting paid in exchange for applying their skills. Again, God bless capitalistic free markets....but I don't want that for college sports. I understand the genie is out of the bottle now and we're never going back, I don't begrudge  anyone making bank either. I do regret what I see as the certain death of any vestige of amatuer sports. I get the NCAA is stupid and corrupt, I know the players have value but none of those things change the fact that something I have loved my whole life is disappearing quickly to be replaced by a de facto pro sports league.  Things always change but not always for the better. 

22 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I don't have any problem allowing the efficiency of markets to work. My issue is what you are describing is a professional relationship- players getting paid in exchange for applying their skills. Again, God bless capitalistic free markets....but I don't want that for college sports. I understand the genie is out of the bottle now and we're never going back, I don't begrudge  anyone making bank either. I do regret what I see as the certain death of any vestige of amatuer sports. I get the NCAA is stupid and corrupt, I know the players have value but none of those things change the fact that something I have loved my whole life is disappearing quickly to be replaced by a de facto pro sports league.  Things always change but not always for the better. 

Well said. It's hard to see college amateurism going away and it's also true as you say that the NCAA is stupid and corrupt and players have value. I don't like the move to what is basically free agency. At the same time we all know colleges/the NCAA have been taking advantage of athletes and making millions off them. No easy answers, but I also don't like the change to what is defacto pro ball.

On 5/20/2022 at 7:25 PM, Hardwood83 said:

I'm early 50s now, and it truly feels icky. But it feels less icky than getting beat by teams with great bag men that rarely got caught.

Bag men are just now in the open for the most part. It puts a lot of teams on equal ground, but widens the gap down stream. 

I still think they need to limit the portal in some way. Perhaps no transfers till after year 2, or a simple 2 year minimum wherever you commit too or transfer too. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good on us.  Hopefully we keep up the stakes to keep up with the Jones'.

sidepoint- anyone think Duncomb was in a fight sometime before his Nil photo op? Zoom in for details.  

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Every player has made at least 38K this summer before the season even  starts including all freshman. We need to make sure recruits know this. I’m sure the staff is relaying that.

Thanks for the info and good to hear.

On the other hand……do you hear anything in regards to NIL and our football players?

7 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Thanks for the info and good to hear.

On the other hand……do you hear anything in regards to NIL and our football players?

Nope not much at all on football NIL. I know a few of the players have gotten some deals but not sure about the details. 

10 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Every player has made at least 38K this summer before the season even  starts including all freshman. We need to make sure recruits know this. I’m sure the staff is relaying that.

Is $38K good though? I don't know, I'm genuinely asking the question. I'd say IU should let recruits know, but maybe not if players at UK, MSU, OSU, Michigan, Duke, KU, etc., have made $200K at this point. 

We know the kid Pack at Miami has made $400K (i think $800K over 2 years was his deal). 

Just now, BGleas said:

Is $38K good though? I don't know, I'm genuinely asking the question. I'd say IU should let recruits know, but maybe not if players at UK, MSU, OSU, Michigan, Duke, KU, etc., have made $200K at this point. 

We know the kid Pack at Miami has made $400K (i think $800K over 2 years was his deal). 

I'm thinking 38K for some freshman who hasn't ever played a game yet and only been on campus for less than two months isn't bad. Their only going to make more and more as the season goes. Or if you are the 12th or 13th guy on the bench still making almost 50K with everything else paid it's not bad. TJD, Race is in the 6 figures and others should get there. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm thinking 38K for some freshman who hasn't ever played a game yet and only been on campus for less than two months isn't bad. Their only going to make more and more as the season goes. Or if you are the 12th or 13th guy on the bench still making almost 50K with everything else paid it's not bad. TJD, Race is in the 6 figures and others should get there. 

Appreciate the info! Yeah, definitely something to promote assuming our guys are making more than what players are making at other schools. 

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

$38k for a star is not good, but TJD and Thompson make well more than that. Probably some of the other players as well. $38k for a bench warmer is good, though. So look at that as basically the minimum with the opportunity to earn way more. 

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

$38k for a star is not good, but TJD and Thompson make well more than that. Probably some of the other players as well. $38k for a bench warmer is good, though. So look at that as basically the minimum with the opportunity to earn way more. 

Do we know that is good though? I don't know. What are the end of bench scholarship guys getting at UK, MSU, Duke, Michigan, OSU, etc?

It's only good if it's comparable or higher than the schools we're competing against for kids. 

I'm not saying this to complain or anything, I just don't have a frame of reference for how good $38K for NIL at this level.