Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

On 5/4/2022 at 5:54 PM, Alford Bailey said:

We now have OSU AD Gene Smith suggesting  FBS schools break away from the NCAA. I thinks it’s inevitable and the money will follow.

Was inevitable without NIL. Mainly due to college football. This was already happening. NIL might speed things up a little but the SEC and guys like Smith have been dropping these hints for several years now. You don’t need the NCAA for college football.

Absolutely nothing will stop those that want to compensate their athletes.

The problem is, if you treat it like Professional ball and give a conference minimum, provided by school/booster and a player and team maximum, the cheaters will still cheat and lopside the balance.
And the lower end teams won’t want to provide minimum.

I think nothing changes as far as competitive balance in the end. Because nothing has really changed. Instead of it being 10-15 teams that stockpiled the talent. Now it might be 20-30.

The biggest change is good players staying which will separate the top from bottom more than it already did. But in the end we might have 10 or 20 more schools that have a chance to win.

So if Miami, for instance, becomes the new Kentucky/UNC (they won’t) what difference does that make.

The real problem with why so many are upset is the bidding wars are making it harder for the cheaters to field dominant teams like the past without paying marked increase of money and the new market value, and therefore I love it.

As anything else, the bigwigs will eventually agree to “market value” as to avoid giant bidding wars.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

NCAA: "We're gonna pass rules saying you can't give players money!"

Boosters: "Oh yeah? And what are you gonna do when we pay them anyway?" 

NCAA: (shrugs shoulders, turns and walks away) "Nuthin'..."

They won’t be they can make the player ineligible to play

On 5/6/2022 at 7:24 PM, MikeRoberts said:

They won’t be they can make the player ineligible to play

Can they? Isn’t the impetus of all this the underlying threat that the NCAA’s historical practice of enforcing that type of thing is illegal?

California bill to create "profit sharing" for athletes in NCAA football and men's & women's basketball: California bill would create revenue-sharing agreement with college athletes (worldnewsera.com)

Whatever you think about these developments (transfer portal, NIL and this proposal), it seems pretty clear that big-time "college" sports aren't gonna be recognizable in a few years.  

59 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

California bill to create "profit sharing" for athletes in NCAA football and men's & women's basketball: California bill would create revenue-sharing agreement with college athletes (worldnewsera.com)

Whatever you think about these developments (transfer portal, NIL and this proposal), it seems pretty clear that big-time "college" sports aren't gonna be recognizable in a few years.  

In the places where they've always been paying players, it's probably just more out in the open.  I think in the end it make create more teams in the 'haves' category but the gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots' will get wider.

I do wonder if it will eventually create a split in divisions......not sure how a 350+ division of basketball will exist with an even greater disparity.

Players who might have gambled on the NBA will be more likely to remain in school because of the potential to make money, especially if players are paid some percentage of the revenue as is being proposed in California.

2 hours ago, maharkn said:

One thing that should come with these us that these kids should be forced to take finance and money management classes there freshman year.

I think ALL students should have 2-3 money management courses in college. Cash flow, debt management & taxes.

(and you might want to take a refresher on your English grammer...it's "their Freshman year." Not there Freshman year.) lol

I think ALL students should have 2-3 money management courses in college. Cash flow, debt management & taxes.
(and you might want to take a refresher on your English grammer...it's "their Freshman year." Not there Freshman year.) lol
I mean…….
There's a saying about throwing stones or something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk