Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

For me I wish the NCAA would have tried to stop the cheating instead of just throwing their hands up and say everyone can just cheat.

20 years ago the NCAA should have grown a pair and put their foot down.  They needed to work with the NBA and work it out that players go straight to the NBA or if they go to college they had to stay in 3 years. It seemed to work well in baseball so it could on basketball as well.  It would have allowed the kids who only cared about money and going to the NBA go pro. It would have kept them out of the college game where they didn't want to be in the first place.

Second they needed to actually enforce the rules and have harsh punishments for rule breakers.

1) If a program gets caught with level 1 infractions they get 3 years probation which includes 3 years of post season ban.  Second offense they get the death penalty and couldn't apply for reinstatement for 5 years 

2) A coach gets caught with a level 1 infraction loses his job with a 5 year show clause. The second offense would result in a lifetime ban from coaching college basketball.

They should have just put me on charge and we could have still have the college game we use to live.

The successful UNC lawsuit neutered the NCAA.  Their ability to enforce things was gone 

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The successful UNC lawsuit neutered the NCAA.  Their ability to enforce things was gone 

This. The NCAA has never had a legal leg to stand on to keep people from earning money off of their name. They couldn’t have stopped this if they tried. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

This. The NCAA has never had a legal leg to stand on to keep people from earning money off of their name. They couldn’t have stopped this if they tried. 

It is not the NIL that is causing the problem but the blatant cheating and tampering that is going on.  There have been reports that USC has tampered with a WR at Pitt. It has been rumored USC has offered 3 mil and w house which is not legal. What happened today? The WT from Pitt is in the portal.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not the NIL that is causing the problem but the blatant cheating and tampering that is going on.  There have been reports that USC has tampered with a WR at Pitt. It has been rumored USC has offered 3 mil and w house which is not legal. What happened today? The WT from Pitt is in the portal.

And what’s the NCAA supposed to do?  They can’t punish a school for fake classes. They can’t really punish a school for things outside of the school 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And what’s the NCAA supposed to do?  They can’t punish a school for fake classes. 

I would argue that they can......just didn't.  

In fact, we already know that some 'basketball factory' prep schools have had to close down because the NCAA would not accept sham classes that they had.

Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Arizona, etc no longer getting superstars at a discount.

Duke doesn’t care. They will pay market value. Calipari isn’t happy about it, but they still have a huge payroll. He could put a third of his salary towards his recruiting classes.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I would argue that they can......just didn't.  

In fact, we already know that some 'basketball factory' prep schools have had to close down because the NCAA would not accept sham classes that they had.

They literally tried. 

56 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

We now have OSU AD Gene Smith suggesting  FBS schools break away from the NCAA. I thinks it’s inevitable and the money will follow.

For all sports. Don't mind it for football but would have it for basketball.  Totally would ruin the tournament

3 hours ago, Demo said:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article260887822.html

Interesting read on the repercussions of Wichita St completely misreading the NIL landscape and impact. 

Yeah, the 8 players they had enter the portal represented 95% of their scoring they had last year (they were able to convince one player to come back....he averaged about 8 points/game).  Dexter Dennis isn't the only player who transferred that power conferences are looking at.  Ricky Council is going to be a nice get for someone and he'll have three years of eligilbity left.  Morris Udeze can be a contributer at a P5 as well.

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but are these kids getting accountants to help them with the taxes owed on these NIL deals?

18 minutes ago, jk34 said:

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but are these kids getting accountants to help them with the taxes owed on these NIL deals?

I think that is something the university can help with. Direct financial advice might be off limits, but I think universities can and do provide NIL training related to compliance and financial literacy. So they could inform players that you do need to pay taxes on this, that it would be good to consult financial advisor, and what to consider when looking for an advisor, etc. 

4 hours ago, jk34 said:

Some are getting agents to help with the deals, so I assume they have someone doing the taxes.

5 hours ago, PB1230 said:

I think that is something the university can help with. Direct financial advice might be off limits, but I think universities can and do provide NIL training related to compliance and financial literacy. So they could inform players that you do need to pay taxes on this, that it would be good to consult financial advisor, and what to consider when looking for an advisor, etc. 

They can also set up a clearinghouse or “verification” for qualified attorneys and accountants that the kids can hire. 

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Some are getting agents to help with the deals, so I assume they have someone doing the taxes.

So, is the hiring of an agent the same as hiring an agent for entering the draft? Can TJD hire an agent to test the waters, then keep that agent, if he decides to return to school?