Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) the NCAA does to try and regulate this.  That Miami story is absurd; although I don't doubt things just as happened happened in the shadows before NIL.

I'm not opposed to the players making something off NIL, but don't want a total free for all either.

Sadly I think any regulation will just go back to the old system of shadow payments where we were at a huge disadvantage 

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

Sometimes sunshine is the best disinfectant. 

Do you really believe that Sam Gilbert never told a homesick player that if they move out of UCLA then momma is going to be kicked out of that new home and the dealership is going to repossess that car they’re driving?   

I’m of the opinion all this has always took place (at some institutions anyways). Now we are just seeing it.  

Anybody remember that wannabe donor/agent/scam artist from Miami football that went to jail a while back? Now some of THOSE stories were crazy!

Underrated post - strongly agree with all of this!

47 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Underrated post - strongly agree with all of this!

I’m personally thrilled it’s ‘mostly’ out in the open finally.  The ‘old system’ was always a charade. At least now we have partial transparency and the veil has been lifted a little. Now we can actually work on meaningful solutions to new problems.  I think Kentucky just set the top dollar mark with the 2 million declaration.  We see what a player like pack is worth in the open market. Things will adjust and settle in my opinion. 

the internal chemistry things are interesting but a lot of that existed behind the curtains before all this.  

From Prep Scouting --

Head D1 College Coach:  “Ticket, I spoke to a NCAA enforcement staff member today & they have no idea how to regulate the NIL money. They told me to follow whatever the guidelines are by my State?!”

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

The thing that bothers me and is making this all so crappy is that these players are supposed to be able to capitalize on their “name” “image” “likeness” but none of that is happening.

these players are not getting deals with nerdwallet or whatever because that company actually wants to use that kid in marketing campaigns, it’s because someone that controls the budget wants to see that kid play at his/her favorite school.

So what are we doing here? This is not about “NIL” it’s about pay for play. It bothers me that “NIL” is even still being used as an acronym this early in the process.

its “PFP”

Kind of destroys the name on the front of the jersey narrative, no?  In any event, I suspect like most things new it’ll go too far in the other direction and settle into a certain equilibrium.  

For example, a few of these big money deals will see kids flake out, get injured, or just not perform to expectations. Even alumni money is finite and people will feel like they’re not getting their moneys worth and pull back. It’ll all shake out. 

26 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think he means he said the 'wong' things.

Lol…and there you go. Kids learning more about contract law in one NiL deal than a thousand hours of skipped business law classes.  

Nothing is constant but change. It’ll all work out.

45 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The NCAA has no ability to control NIL since the legislation varies from state to state.  And if they were to try to cap it, any stats whose legislation was more lenient thsn the NCAA’s would overrule it.

Right. That’s the crazy thing the “regulation” is all over the place. That needs to change, but the “how” is complicated.

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think he means he said the 'wong' things.

Call me skeptical, but I highly doubt that the kid wrote this. Seems like PR verbiage to me. I haven't known any kids 18-22 that are this articulate. I could easily believe it was written by his parent(s), but not him. I like the phrase "highest level of character and integrity". Give me a break...he's trying to leverage the system.

Sour grapes because he didn't realize his earning potential so he agreed to what, in hindsight, turned out to be a bad deal. Feels he left money on the table. Welcome to the reality of negotiations, kid. He's learning an important lesson.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In about 40 minutes, IUBB will officially have had no players of consequence having entered the portal, and will have retained all of the important components of the coaching staff. While adding four likely outstanding freshmen.

Good times.

We are a TJD returning and Galloway or Geronimo developing a 3 point shot from being straight up dangerous 

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In about 40 minutes, IUBB will officially have had no players of consequence having entered the portal, and will have retained all of the important components of the coaching staff. While adding four likely outstanding freshmen.

Good times.

Well, actually, from the time you posted it would be about 24 hours and 39 minutes before drawing that conclusion given that the deadline to enter is 11:59 pm on 5/1. Even then schools that are informed by a player that they are entering the transfer portal have 2 days to get it logged so technically we might not hear of transfers until Tuesday. Let’s just make it to Wednesday unscathed.