Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

U Miami may force a change in college sports.

Think they can at least in part put the genie back in the bottle?

I’ve always assumed the genie is permanently out of the bottle because the high courts got involved giving the SAs their rights. Not sure how easy something like that is to change course on. 

33 minutes ago, Demo said:

Ok, lawyer-types, would contracts like this kid’s tie them to the school in such a way that the booster quoted in this article would be in a position to sue the kid?

The contract would tie them up as much as the lawyers negotiating it let it.

My understanding is that the NCAA guidelines do not allow them to directly tie NIL deals to the school.

That should be an easy workaround. For instance, Nijel Pack’s NIL contract could require him to reside at least 75% of the time in Coral Gables, Florida and only play basketball in orange and green uniforms. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The contract would tie them up as much as the lawyers negotiating it wrote it.

My understanding is that the NCAA guidelines do not allow them to directly tie NIL deals to the school.

That should be an easy workaround. For instance, Nijel Pack’s NIL contract could require him to reside at least 75% of the time in Coral Gables, Florida and only play basketball in orange and green uniforms. 

This is so scuzzy. It makes Sam Gilbert or Ed Martin or the SMU dude seem almost quaint.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is crazy 

I'd say his contract couldn't have wording requiring U attendance or it'd be in violation of the NIL rules and probably allow the kid to slide out from under it, or have scamwallet still required to pay him, wherever he plays...

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I don’t blame the kids for this going to hell in…*double checks calendar*…10 months, I blame the idiots setting 6-7 figures per kid on fire. Not my money, so I’m going to get comfy and watch the show. 

Really went to hell in about 7 days. Kid was likely comfortable with his $$$ until he saw a kid on a bad team come to his for $800k

Just now, HoosierHoops1 said:

Really went to hell in about 7 days. Kid was likely comfortable with his $$$ until he saw a kid on a bad team come to his for $800k

Been on this trajectory since July when they went full free-for-all on a few weeks notice. I can’t say that I blame this kid for trying to get the bag. Not sure what the path forward without complete anarchy is, but I’m excited to watch it play out. 

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Been on this trajectory since July when they went full free-for-all on a few weeks notice. I can’t say that I blame this kid for trying to get the bag. Not sure what the path forward without complete anarchy is, but I’m excited to watch it play out. 

yes, but it seemed like a slow burn. It wasn't until this past week that schools seemed to be overtly throwing out #'s and kids were calling schools back to up the anti. Maybe i am wrong but hadn't heard anything like the miami, ohio state, purdue offers etc.

9 hours ago, Demo said:

This is so scuzzy. It makes Sam Gilbert or Ed Martin or the SMU dude seem almost quaint.

Sometimes sunshine is the best disinfectant. 

Do you really believe that Sam Gilbert never told a homesick player that if they move out of UCLA then momma is going to be kicked out of that new home and the dealership is going to repossess that car they’re driving?   

I’m of the opinion all this has always took place (at some institutions anyways). Now we are just seeing it.  

Anybody remember that wannabe donor/agent/scam artist from Miami football that went to jail a while back? Now some of THOSE stories were crazy!

48 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Sometimes sunshine is the best disinfectant. 

Do you really believe that Sam Gilbert never told a homesick player that if they move out of UCLA then momma is going to be kicked out of that new home and the dealership is going to repossess that car they’re driving?   

I’m of the opinion all this has always took place (at some institutions anyways). Now we are just seeing it.  

Anybody remember that wannabe donor/agent/scam artist from Miami football that went to jail a while back? Now some of THOSE stories were crazy!

Oh, you’re right, no doubt. And to be clear, I have zero problem with players profiting. Actually, players being paid by boosters has always bothered me less than academic fraud. It’s just that the idea of a college player with a representative openly declaring himself a free agent available to the highest NIL bidder bugs me. Not sure it should since it’s the logical progression within the new landscape, but it does.

And Nevin Shapiro was hysterical. 5 foot nothin’ and 120lbs leading The U out of the tunnel. Jesus

It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) the NCAA does to try and regulate this.  That Miami story is absurd; although I don't doubt things just as happened happened in the shadows before NIL.

I'm not opposed to the players making something off NIL, but don't want a total free for all either.