Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

12 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

A school will not eliminate scholarships, it would have to come from above - government or ncaa.

Scholarships in part are to acknowledge that the kids don’t have time to work as the sport is their work so relieving them of this burden is helpful to them. However, now that kids can essentially get paid quite handsomely for making a tweet… why would they get both?

our tax dollars support these schools instead of fixing roads, sewers, highways etc and in my opinion if a kid is making 6 figures and in some cases 7 figures, those funds that were being spent on scholarships is better utilized elsewhere

Except your tax dollars aren’t paying for the scholarships at IU. The athletic department actually helps fund the university through their profits. Which was a major complaint of the previous president, because he was siphoning athletic profits to pay for non-athletic projects. 

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

A school will not eliminate scholarships, it would have to come from above - government or ncaa.

Scholarships in part are to acknowledge that the kids don’t have time to work as the sport is their work so relieving them of this burden is helpful to them. However, now that kids can essentially get paid quite handsomely for making a tweet… why would they get both?

our tax dollars support these schools instead of fixing roads, sewers, highways etc and in my opinion if a kid is making 6 figures and in some cases 7 figures, those funds that were being spent on scholarships is better utilized elsewhere

Scholarships don’t come from or have any impact on tax dollars, and any surpluses in revenue from donations/tickets/tv get invested back into the athletic department. 

2 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Scholarships don’t come from or have any impact on tax dollars, and any surpluses in revenue from donations/tickets/tv get invested back into the athletic department. 

All dollars are green. It’s not like when the state hands the school our tax dollars they are a different color. It all goes to the school, it’s one organization. Peter and Paul both work for the school.

5 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

I gave my kid $20 the other day to buy food; he bought candy. I told him I didn’t give you $20 to buy candy, he said “I bought the candy with my own money”

It amazes me how much some people who are obviously fans of college sports (otherwise, why would they be on this message board?) are so totally opposed to the players getting both scholarships and being able to get paid for NIL. Why not just be happy for the kids? They've spent a lot of time and put in a lot of work honing their skills enough to play at this level.

College sports haven't been "amateur" for a long, long time. If they ever truly were. That went out the window as soon as schools started recruiting ringers instead of just having students try out for a team. Did that ever actually happen?

8 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It amazes me how much some people who are obviously fans of college sports (otherwise, why would they be on this message board?) are so totally opposed to the players getting both scholarships and being able to get paid for NIL. Why not just be happy for the kids? They've spent a lot of time and put in a lot of work honing their skills enough to play at this level.

College sports haven't been "amateur" for a long, long time. If they ever truly were. That went out the window as soon as schools started recruiting ringers instead of just having students try out for a team. Did that ever actually happen?

What is the rationale for them continuing to get a free ride when they are getting paid? Why both?

that money could be used elsewhere across the school and the state. If Trayce makes $300k in NIL, does he really need that scholarship? Are there other kids that have worked really hard at other things that could use aid that aren’t currently getting it?

again, IU won’t eliminate scholarships on their own, but the “scholarship” assumption is an archaic one now, the landscape just massively changed 

29 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

All dollars are green. It’s not like when the state hands the school our tax dollars they are a different color. It all goes to the school, it’s one organization. Peter and Paul both work for the school.

You have absolutely no idea how universities work. Universities function as a conglomerate of hundreds if not thousands of individual entities. Money comes into universities from A LOT of different sources and LEGALLY it needs to be kept in separate pools/accounts because the money coming in almost always has strings/regulations/stipulations attached dictating how that money is spent and you need to account for where the dollars coming in are being spent. If you don't spend all the money for the specific purpose for which it was received within a set period of time, the remainder usually needs to be paid back. 

Athletic departments work under their own siloed budgets and revenue streams. And scholarships at IU are predominantly paid out of an endowment funded by donations specifically earmarked for scholarships.

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

What is the rationale for them continuing to get a free ride when they are getting paid? Why both?

that money could be used elsewhere across the school and the state. If Trayce makes $300k in NIL, does he really need that scholarship? Are there other kids that have worked really hard at other things that could use aid that aren’t currently getting it?

again, IU won’t eliminate scholarships on their own, but the “scholarship” assumption is an archaic one now, the landscape just massively changed 

Because not all scholarships are based on hardship. Merit based scholarships, like athletic scholarships, are not based on need but on the skills of the individual regardless of their income or their parents wealth.

The rationale is that they've earned that scholarship through years of hard work to become a good enough player to receive a scholarship from a D1 school and a P5 school at that in IU's case. The scholarship is one of the incentives for choosing that school over others. It tells the players that the school values them.

34 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I gave my kid $20 the other day to buy food; he bought candy. I told him I didn’t give you $20 to buy candy, he said “I bought the candy with my own money”

The situation that you are envisioning would be more like if your kid earns $20 mowing the neighbors lawn, and then you tell him to give $5 to his brother for lunch money

42 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

How do you propose this be run then? The only way the situation you described makes sense is if the player is making more from the NIL than the value of the scholarship.

Otherwise it's like your employer telling you, "Hey were going to give you some additional responsibilities, but we're going to pay you more. However, that additional payment will be deducted from what we're contributing to your health insurance." Net net you are in the same economic situation with additional responsibilities. Why would anyone take that deal?

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

How do you propose this be run then? The only way the situation you described makes sense is if the player is making more from the NIL than the value of the scholarship.

Otherwise it's like your employer telling you, "Hey were going to give you some additional responsibilities, but we're going to pay you more. However, that additional payment will be deducted from what we're contributing to your health insurance." Net net you are in the same economic situation with additional responsibilities. Why would anyone take that deal?

It wouldn’t be easy. NIL took decades to take effect and now that it is here, there will be other effects that come from it that will also take years and maybe decades to be implemented.

yea, much like some sales roles where someone is on salary (scholarship) but they also get a commission once they reach a certain threshold and only when they reach that. They aren’t getting commissioned on dollar one, they have to cover the cost of employment (their overhead/scholarship). Then once they cover that/pay it back, then the rest they keep. It’s how a lot of business is done.

3 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

Let them play where ever they can make the most money. TJD can play for IU on Saturday, and then make a few extra $'s playing for Iowa on Tuesday. Purdue on Wednesday. And back to IU in Thursday. Eliminate scholarships completely and open true free markets for these kids.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

In a simpler world, the ability to trade scholarship players would be pretty fun.

Headache for academic advisors and departments, but fun for fans and social media. 

16 minutes ago, Trish said:

In a simpler world, the ability to trade scholarship players would be pretty fun.

Headache for academic advisors and departments, but fun for fans and social media. 

Might not be that far off.

I have two things to say on this...1.  At least it should all be out in the open now.  2.  Can they print the poster calendars now since it is okay to make money of a "likeness" of a college athlete?

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

It wouldn’t be easy. NIL took decades to take effect and now that it is here, there will be other effects that come from it that will also take years and maybe decades to be implemented.

yea, much like some sales roles where someone is on salary (scholarship) but they also get a commission once they reach a certain threshold and only when they reach that. They aren’t getting commissioned on dollar one, they have to cover the cost of employment (their overhead/scholarship). Then once they cover that/pay it back, then the rest they keep. It’s how a lot of business is done.

OK I understand the concept in theory, but again I think it would only benefit a select few.

If you are a player who isn't guaranteed to cover the cost of the scholarship, then you aren't going to participate.  It just doesn't make sense for you to do extra work for nothing. Then NIL dollars are either not earned or redistributed to the guys that are guaranteed to out-earn their scholarship costs. If that plays out, it would ultimately recoup very little in terms of scholarship costs.  Add in all the extra administrative work due to the extra rules, accounting, etc. and you may even end up spending more than you're recouping scholarship costs.

I admit, this relies on the assumption that most players in college basketball wouldn't out-earn their scholarships

Will there be an EA college basketball game with actual rosters?  Will all D1 players get a cut of that game?
That would be nice but I don't think they could afford that or the game would cost a crazy amount to offset so that they still make there money. They already had to spend the money for the lawsuit for the foot all game

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, maharkn said:

That would be nice but I don't think they could afford that or the game would cost a crazy amount to offset so that they still make there money. They already had to spend the money for the lawsuit for the foot all game

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

It would be tough since there is not a single union to negotiate player rights with as a package.  

They would almost have to work with entire conferences giving them a kickback that then filters down to the schools in exchange for ADs getting their athletes to sign off on allowing their likeness to be used. 

Or maybe they could work it out where players are DLC allowing players to profit off their likeness in that manner. You pay 40 dollars for base game with generic players. and you then pay 20 dollars for your school team. That 20 bucks then goes into a collective for all kids on the team.  And perhaps part of the agreement is they allow their likeness to be used by the ai computer at no charge