Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

OMG....Now the "you're all communists" argument. 

Fine, let's play that game. Give them as much as they want on NIL, after which they immediately pay back their total 4 year scholarship cost. After all, that's state money they're using as a bankroll, not their own like typical students.

Because NCAA can't seem to deter, or even want to institutionally govern their own rules as we've witnessed through your own examples, what makes anyone think they will with NIL compliance?

It's slimy.....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

So in your situation should Lebron pay back his entire salary each year?  He makes loads more in advertising than his NBA salary. 

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see people talk about how all of this money that the NCAA makes and that the players should get a cut if it.  Might need to look deeper to see that a lot the money goes to funding a lot of sports at the D1 level plus other three divisions.

did some calculations about how much it cost for just scholarship money for just both basketball teams and football just at IU.

Basketball 13 men's/15 woman's and I calculate $50,000 per player. Might be more at some places and probably less at others.

28x$50,000=1.4 million so say there are 340 D1 schools who issues scholarships $480,000,000

Football 85 scholarship players.  85×$50,000= $4.25 mil and say 120 D1 football. $510,000,000.

So look how much it cost to fund just scholarships for 3 sports in D1 sports.  That is not taking account the other 20+ sports each school has and the other divisions in college.  You have cost to cover travel for all of these teams.  You also have to cover these kids under the schools insurance policies.

It is so easy saying that the NCAA makes all if this money and the players should get paid because of it.  You need to look deeper at the cost it is to run each athletic department in college sports and how many of them don't bring in a lot of money.

There’s on about 160,000 scholarship athletes.  At your 50,000 number that’s 8,000,000,000 dollars I think off the top of my head. 

But outside of the 3 sports listed and womens soccer a lot of sports have partial scholarships.  So full tuition. And I would also argue 50,000 is incredibly high for an average.  The sports with less travel and less amenities will not cost that much  

6 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The red part just seems silly.  So an NIL agreement to say, provide advertisements for a Bloomington auto dealership should be offered to a kid who chooses to play in California?

It's not supposed to be an offer in advance. A kid AT IU will have paid advertisement for your auto dealership. Not a kid who may come or who is coming.

53 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Drugs aren't good for you....

I've said, if an athlete takes NIL monies he should pay back what he used in his scholarship money of equal value.

So who exactly are these invisible organizations I've named? Name one please.

Waiting ...

I didn’t say anything about invisible organizations. And what are you 9 talking about drugs?  

I get what you said. It was just supremely ridiculous 

1 hour ago, Schreckbagger said:

I've said, if an athlete takes NIL monies he should pay back what he used in his scholarship money of equal value.

Waiting ...

Well that’s incredibly dumb. If the student doesn’t make more than the value of the scholarship then it becomes completely pointless, and only a select few would benefit.

2 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

Waiting ...

Should students on academic scholarships pay back those scholarships of they have income outside of that? If your answer is "no", then why should those on athletic scholarships?

Should students on academic scholarships pay back those scholarships of they have income outside of that? If your answer is "no", then why should those on athletic scholarships?
Totally different argument.

One is a representative of the University and has scholarship determined on objective measures. The other, is typically not school affiliated, and is awarded through subjective measures. Most academic scholarships are partial, not full ride scholarships.

3 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

Totally different argument.

One is a representative of the University and has scholarship determined on objective measures. The other, is typically not school affiliated, and is awarded through subjective measures. Most academic scholarships are partial, not full ride scholarships.

There are definitely some words there. But not a cogent argument. 

All IU students represent the university.  And I most certainly got more scholarship money from IU than anybody else. And most athletic scholarships are partial and not full as well 

Everyone,

If you don't like the point someone is making ... say so as loudly and clearly as you like.

But, do not attack the poster and/or lob personal insults at other posters.

Example:

• Acceptable: "You may think that Purdue fans know about basketball, but to me Purdue is clearly a loser program with losing losers rooting for loserplayers."
  • Unacceptable: "You like Purdue? You are an idiot."

Thanks

9 hours ago, Feathery said:

Olympic athletes who aren’t professionals make money off of their NIL all the time. That’s not slimy. 

If they were deciding country of citizenship, based on "offer", that would be slimy.

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Are we seriously trying to paint people trying to make money off years of hardwork and to an extent talent as slimy?  I guess every professional is slimy 

The getter isn't always the slimy one. 

Olympic athletes who aren’t professionals make money off of their NIL all the time. That’s not slimy. 

12 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

If they were deciding country of citizenship, based on "offer", that would be slimy.

So you are equating choosing a school to country of citizenship based on an "offer" is slimy?

That argument fails on so many levels

1) Every Olympic athletes is born a citizens of a given country that they are allowed to compete for in the Olympics,they have to actively switch their citizenship to become a citizen of a different country. Unless you believe college athletes should have to compete only for a state school this makes no sense.

2)The Olympics are a contest based on the athletic ability of the countries citizenship, there is no assumption that IU is represented by only Indiana citizens or that UC Santa Barbara are only allowed players from the city of Santa Barbara.

3)Interesting that the offer of money to improve your current situation is somehow slimy, while choosing a school that by education or exposure  can contribute to your future ability to improve your situation somehow is a noble pursuit.

Scholarships were invented/offered in a time pre-NIL. I don’t think it should be assumed that scholarships should be a given anymore. 

It’s Newton’s Third Law, for every action there is an equal and opposite action. One thing that people are missing is that these kids, while capitalizing on their NIL, their NIL only matters in large part because of their affiliation with the school.

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Scholarships were invented/offered in a time pre-NIL. I don’t think it should be assumed that scholarships should be a given anymore. 

It’s Newton’s Third Law, for every action there is an equal and opposite action. One thing that people are missing is that these kids, while capitalizing on their NIL, their NIL only matters in large part because of their affiliation with the school.

But the school's name only matters because the players past and present whose NIL up until now were controlled by the school.

And what logical rationale is there for a school to stop offering scholarships, even if certain players might have the ability to earn enough to pay for tuition?

2 hours ago, PB1230 said:

But the school's name only matters because the players past and present whose NIL up until now were controlled by the school.

And what logical rationale is there for a school to stop offering scholarships, even if certain players might have the ability to earn enough to pay for tuition?

A school will not eliminate scholarships, it would have to come from above - government or ncaa.

Scholarships in part are to acknowledge that the kids don’t have time to work as the sport is their work so relieving them of this burden is helpful to them. However, now that kids can essentially get paid quite handsomely for making a tweet… why would they get both?

our tax dollars support these schools instead of fixing roads, sewers, highways etc and in my opinion if a kid is making 6 figures and in some cases 7 figures, those funds that were being spent on scholarships is better utilized elsewhere