Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The foundations for these programs was laid long before they were official.  Most schools just had to redirect the booster money they were already paying recruits. IU has to set up the payments 

Does IU have someone on staff whose responsibility is running the NIL program? 

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The foundations for these programs was laid long before they were official.  Most schools just had to redirect the booster money they were already paying recruits. IU has to set up the payments 

Meh, while certainly money was  exchanging hands previously, there were logical and justifiable reasons to avoid getting involved in that. Plus even the money caused the issues with Zion was small potatoes compared to some of these NIL deals. So to say IU had fallen behind isn’t really accurate statement

10 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Meh, while certainly money was  exchanging hands previously, there were logical and justifiable reasons to avoid getting involved in that. Plus even the money caused the issues with Zion was small potatoes compared to some of these NIL deals. So to say IU had fallen behind isn’t really accurate statement

We were literally behind because we weren’t paying players. But sure not fair to say we were behind. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We were literally behind because we weren’t paying players. But sure not fair to say we were behind. 

This.  Top programs were already getting money to players, if IU wasn't then they were behind.  NIL just made a legal channel for something that was already happening.

37 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sure, but the context with what you initially said suggested that IU was trying and failing to raise money and get it to players, and that changed because of Woodson

1 hour ago, PB1230 said:

Sure, but the context with what you initially said suggested that IU was trying and failing to raise money and get it to players, and that changed because of Woodson

Not what I said and if we were behind if it was any bodies fault it was Archie’s 

I wonder if seeing the deals IU guys are getting compared to what they're getting (or not getting) will cause some of the Purdue players to have buyer's remorse for choosing PU over IU. I hope so.

4 hours ago, PB1230 said:

They were behind because while Kentucky, UNC, Duke etc had dudes earmarking hundreds of thousands for under-the-table recruiting, they simply had to funnel into acceptable deals. IU didn't have this pipeline of companies earmarking illegal funds. A new thought process had to be established for potential IU donors. Also, because NIL was so new and so radical, I imagine it took some time for IU boosters to get their head around the reality and OK-ness of NIL money.

5 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

This whole NIL thing smells rotten.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

Like I have said, and people continue to Poo-Poo... Someone is going to take action to come down hard on NIL that is outside the bounds of  the "spirit of the rule". It's not supposed to be a recruiting tool or a retaining tool. And it sort of magically appeared and regulating bodies were caught flat footed and I think they will clamor to catch up. Especially when a senators favorite team has no NIL pull.

9 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Of course it does. The NCAA either couldn't or wouldn't effectively police it, so it became legal. Kinda like marijuana, the authorities couldn't stop its use so more and more states are making it legal. Doesn't make it desirable, just eliminates the enforcement issue.

11 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

They were behind because while Kentucky, UNC, Duke etc had dudes earmarking hundreds of thousands for under-the-table recruiting, they simply had to funnel into acceptable deals. IU didn't have this pipeline of companies earmarking illegal funds. A new thought process had to be established for potential IU donors. Also, because NIL was so new and so radical, I imagine it took some time for IU boosters to get their head around the reality and OK-ness of NIL money.

This was always my take. NIL money would favor IU more than most provided they leaned into it and did it smartly.  

Another thing IU has going for it is it should really help reestablish traditional basketball schools like IU. The newcomers like Florida, Baylor, Oregon, Etc… will feel a strong pull to divert as much money as possible to football. Basketball should be pretty wide open for traditional basketball schools. 

18 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Matter of perspective, I suppose. Schools making millions and coaches earning millions while actively preventing players from earning money off their own name always struck me as odiously greedy. 

Had the NCAA and member schools worked to find a middle ground (eg. allowing players to earn a cut of basketball camp appearances or jersey sales) when huge tv money started to infiltrate the game, then maybe we wouldn’t have gotten to this point. But the schools/NCAA’s greed knows no bounds and the courts stepped in. So here we are. 

(Fwiw, I say this as someone who is generally a bit of a traditionalist).

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Matter of perspective, I suppose. Schools making millions and coaches earning millions while actively preventing players from earning money off their own name always struck me as odiously greedy. 

Had the NCAA and member schools worked to find a middle ground (eg. allowing players to earn a cut of basketball camp appearances or jersey sales) when huge tv money started to infiltrate the game, then maybe we wouldn’t have gotten to this point. But the schools/NCAA’s greed knows no bounds and the courts stepped in. So here we are. 

(Fwiw, I say this as someone who is generally a bit of a traditionalist).

The thing is that they are not making money on name, Image or likeness and not having to earn that money.  I new this is what NIL would lead to and it will be the end of college sports that I love.

5 minutes ago, HoosierDribbler said:

I can't imagine the player making a few bucks off of tee-shirts not resenting the guy making $400,000. Sadly, playing for the name on the front of the jersey is a thing of the past.

Disagree…in the pros players that make the minimum look at the big money guys and say “cool! I wanna be that guy someday!”

The thing is that they are not making money on name, Image or likeness and not having to earn that money.  I new this is what NIL would lead to and it will be the end of college sports that I love.

It’s been an illusion to you for a while then. These behind the scene highest bidder recruitments have been going on for a LONG time. All the recruiting gurus have known this forever. Many others have chosen to put on the blindfolds. It’s a huge part of why our beloved Indiana hasn’t been competitive for 20-30 years. And we haven’t even been entirely clean through that span on top of it, or even close to it. Miami has been winning some shady recruitments for years, ‘NIL’ didn’t start in 2022. I’ve been trying to expose this way, way, way before the FBI scandal brought it to the masses.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you are concerned about amateurism in college sports in general, it’s infatuation built on false pretenses. The whole concept initially began as a way for mediocre rich guys to maintain ability to play at a prominent level and stuck around for the ability to exploit and profit off of athletes. 

if you are concerned about competitive advantage concentrating to top schools, we are really only turning back the clock 20 years on gains in parity