Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

How do you guys like the NIL now? To me it’s clear that IU is one of the schools that has been ready, willing, and able to maximize NIL potential so far.

And I like it.

A combination of boosters, Adidas, the Athletic Department, staff (except apparently for Fife lol), and maybe even an assist from media (Hoosier Hysterics as an initiator?!?)

It’s the new rules. Either accept change or get left behind like Purdoo.

I’m a fan:

1) This keeps more kids in school longer when they’re not NBA ready. Keeps em out of Europe and the G League.

2) Yay free market capitalism! Any other IU student can earn money while at IU, including for stuff directly related to their prowess as University students. Sing opera at the music school? Always could get paid for it in non-university events.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

How do you guys like the NIL now? To me it’s clear that IU is one of the schools that has been ready, willing, and able to maximize NIL potential so far.

And I like it.

A combination of boosters, Adidas, the Athletic Department, staff (except apparently for Fife lol), and maybe even an assist from media (Hoosier Hysterics as an initiator?!?)

I’m a fan:

1) This keeps more kids in school longer when they’re not NBA ready. Keeps em out of Europe and the G League.

2) Yay free market capitalism! Any other IU student can earn money while at IU, including for stuff directly related to their prowess as University students. Sing opera at the music school? Always could get paid for it in non-university events.

I'm not a fan nor a detractor.  More a it-is-what-it-is on it, but feel as long as it's there, you should try to maximize it's ability to bring in and keep players.

And I like it.
I’m a fan:

I’ve got no problem with it. I was doubting that Indiana would position itself to be contenders but it appears we have a chance to be a #4-15 option which would be excellent.

Many kid themselves what’s been going on for a LONG time. Now it’s open and legal.

When does the system need a ‘salary cap’? LOL

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

44 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Winning programs will figure out how to succeed in this environment and cash in. 

Losing programs will get left behind, whine and complain about how things aren't what they used to be. 

I know which group I'd rather be in. 

Rumor is Miami presented Pack with a 450,000 NIL package   Purdues was considerably less existent.  

51 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Rumor is Miami presented Pack with a 450,000 NIL package   Purdues was considerably less existent.  

Read on a Purdue message board that Ohio State had presented Pack with a $250,000 package and the feeling was Purdue couldn't match that.

13 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Read on a Purdue message board that Ohio State had presented Pack with a $250,000 package and the feeling was Purdue couldn't match that.

Also posted on OSU board that Pack, after receiving $450k package from Miami, told OSU he’d come if they uppped their offer to $350k. OSU passed. Wild wild West.

44 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Also posted on OSU board that Pack, after receiving $450k package from Miami, told OSU he’d come if they uppped their offer to $350k. OSU passed. Wild wild West.

For high-profile recruits and transfers this is now par for the course. Much like any of us would negotiate terms with an employer or leverage multiple job offers to see who valued you the most. This is the new norm. Actually, it’s the old norm, because it’s happened for decades, it’s just in the open now and expected from both player and program to be a major talking point. 

6 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Actually, it’s the old norm, because it’s happened for decades, it’s just in the open now and expected from both player and program to be a major talking point. 

I’m in favor of it for this reason; Knight and after, IU has largely avoided even the appearance of impropriety. As @Stuhoo outlined upthread, IU has positioned itself well to play seriously in a way the old status quo did not allow.

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And just remember folks Malik was talking to Miami. IU may have fallen behind in NIL but it appears Woodson has us caught back up. 

If we can start winning and reactivate the casuals we will have enough money to get any player we want 

When did IU fall behind in NIL??? Woodson has been at IU longer than NIL has been in effect.

18 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

When did IU fall behind in NIL??? Woodson has been at IU longer than NIL has been in effect.

The foundations for these programs was laid long before they were official.  Most schools just had to redirect the booster money they were already paying recruits. IU has to set up the payments