Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Demo said:

This. It’s really encouraging because the release looks a little better and the backward lean looks much better. But, I promise there is archived video somewhere of Joey Brunk and Hanner Perea making strings of 3’s during drill work. Players at that level do that. If you caught Galloway on the right day you’d think he was Alford. 

I’m a player wayyy below that level, but I’ve played in some high-level pickup games. If you caught me during shootaround while we warm up, I might can 7, 8, 9 in a row on a good day. But even the pickup game pace and shot contests are enough that I’m not really a great shooter by the standards my run.

(now if anyone wants to hear about the morning I hit two game winning threes, I’m happy to share)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

Rabjohns reported it.

Came here to say the same thing. TJD has been invited. Congrats to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

Rabjohns reported it.

Yep, congrats to TJD and the combine runs through May 22nd so I’m guessing we won’t hear news about his return, or departure, for a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

As stated by BGleas above in response to my post: "Yup, especially if he rides his decision out right up until the deadline. If he does that, then it tells me he is fishing for a promise for a team, WHICH HAPPENS ALL THE TIME." (emphasis added)

If BGleas says it happens all the time, well then I had no idea we had a poster that had the ear of so many NBA GM's as to know what kind of iron clad, on my mother's grave promises to fringe roster guys are being thrown out there willy nilly.

 

My mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DChoosier said:

Yep, congrats to TJD and the combine runs through May 22nd so I’m guessing we won’t hear news about his return, or departure, for a few weeks.

combine is week of May 16th-22nd and players have until June 1st to pull out of draft and keep eligibility. So may have to buckle the seat belts. Might be a long ride till June 1st

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cleeter said:

combine is week of May 16th-22nd and players have until June 1st to pull out of draft and keep eligibility. So may have to buckle the seat belts. Might be a long ride till June 1st

What is the over/under on speculative posts between now and June 1st?  300? 400? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

If BGleas says it happens all the time, well then I had no idea we had a poster that had the ear of so many NBA GM's as to know what kind of iron clad, on my mother's grave promises to fringe roster guys are being thrown out there willy nilly.

 

My mistake.

Not to speak too much on BGleas' behalf, but he actually does have a pretty good understanding of that side of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

If BGleas says it happens all the time, well then I had no idea we had a poster that had the ear of so many NBA GM's as to know what kind of iron clad, on my mother's grave promises to fringe roster guys are being thrown out there willy nilly.

 

My mistake.

BGleas worked in the front office of the Celtics for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cleeter said:

combine is week of May 16th-22nd and players have until June 1st to pull out of draft and keep eligibility. So may have to buckle the seat belts. Might be a long ride till June 1st

That's like 25 days 

Is that long for some of you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, Honkyman said:

It just takes one team to decide that TJD's skills fit in with their needs. 

 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

As stated by BGleas above in response to my post: "Yup, especially if he rides his decision out right up until the deadline. If he does that, then it tells me he is fishing for a promise for a team, WHICH HAPPENS ALL THE TIME." (emphasis added)

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I agree that it is too early in the process, as we haven't had the combine yet and pre-draft workouts are just beginning to get scheduled, so it's very early in the process. 

With that said, NBA teams give draft promises fairly often and almost always stick to them. It's very bad form in the NBA for a team to get a reputation for not following through on draft promises. 

 

27 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Not to speak too much on BGleas' behalf, but he actually does have a pretty good understanding of that side of things.

Not disparaging BGleas, but Honkyman seems to think that some team may  guarantee TJD that they will draft him in the mid thirties and that would be a done deal.  Even BGleas qualified the promises as kept "almost always."

I would imagine that a team would likely hold true to form if they had the pick, short of a major steal dropping, but no way they don't make another move if it benefits the team because they said they would draft a guy in the second round.

 

Can you imagine a GM saying, "Thanks we really like ________________________ and would totally trade our pick for him if we hadn't promised TJD..." or " So you would like to give us your 1st next season for the 35th pick this season? Well, unfortunately I pinky swore with this one guy and you know pinky swears..."

 

Draft promises for guys in the lottery are one thing but no GM is going to hold a 2nd rnd pick hostage for a fringe player if there are better offers. And if there is one, he won't be a GM for long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Thanks we really like ________________________ and would totally trade our pick for him if we hadn't promised TJD..." or " So you would like to give us your 1st next season for the 35th pick this season? Well, unfortunately I pinky swore with this one guy and you know pinky swears..."

Don't know where you got that from. What I said was TJD will return to IU unless he is given a commitment from an NBA team that they want him on their roster. In fact, it happens though I don't believe it will with TJD. Your characterization of my post has nothing to do with my post. But you seem proud of your ability to amuse yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

given TJD dad history with Pacers

Just remember, he forced his way out of Indy. He got an extension on his contract, then complained about the amount and demanded more. By the rules, the Pacers could not do that, so then he demanded to be traded. He was traded to Portland (for Jermaine O'Neal) where he did the same thing all over again.

Not the sharpest tack in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T White said:

Just remember, he forced his way out of Indy. He got an extension on his contract, then complained about the amount and demanded more. By the rules, the Pacers could not do that, so then he demanded to be traded. He was traded to Portland (for Jermaine O'Neal) where he did the same thing all over again.

Not the sharpest tack in the box.

Pacers killed that trade lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iu eyedoc said:

If BGleas says it happens all the time, well then I had no idea we had a poster that had the ear of so many NBA GM's as to know what kind of iron clad, on my mother's grave promises to fringe roster guys are being thrown out there willy nilly.

 

My mistake.

As someone who has probably treated many patients who like to Google their symptoms before they come in, I’m confident that you’re familiar with occasions when sometimes there are guys who know more than other guys.

This is one of those times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't claim to know everything or have all the answers, far from from it. But between the two of us, I'm am the one that has literally been in the draft war room multiple times with an NBA team and attended numerous pre-draft workouts. Doesn't make me right, but I'm comfortable with my experience on this topic. 

Not sure why you felt the need to be so aggressive or condescending?

Just to help provide some additional information, as a former PR rep for professional athletes (including basketball players), I can confirm clients, other player and other reps have had the same experience. If a front office really likes someone they have said they'll take the player if the player is available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×