Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

50 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

And, what will this team that made the promise do if they see a coveted player drop to their pick

I mean, there's not an ironclad rule book. I also don't think it's often where you're seeing guarantees at the like pick 53. It's generally in the first round into the first 5-10 picks of the 2nd round. 

Have teams made a guarantee and then backed out? Sure, it's happened, but for the most part teams stick to it. GM's are playing the long game for the most part. They have relationships to maintain with players and agents, etc.

For example, these players quite often share agents. So while ticking off a player like TJD by guaranteeing him at pick 28 and then not taking him might not seem like a big deal, but what if TJD shares an agent with an upcoming free agent on your team that you want to resign?

What if TJD shares an agent with a couple free agents that you're getting ready to target when free agency opens in the week or two after the draft?

The NBA is a small world and getting a reputation as someone that doesn't negotiate in good faith is not something GM's want. 

That's like 25 days 
Is that long for some of you? 

I was more or less talking about the “rumors and speculation” that will happen between then that will make 25 days seem like a roller coaster every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't claim to know everything or have all the answers, far from from it. But between the two of us, I'm am the one that has literally been in the draft war room multiple times with an NBA team and attended numerous pre-draft workouts. Doesn't make me right, but I'm comfortable with my experience on this topic. 

Not sure why you felt the need to be so aggressive or condescending?

Yeah, I was a little too snarky, my apologies. It inadvertently, came off as directed towards you, that was not my intention.

I just disagree strongly with honkeyman that TJD is making a decision by June 1st based "on whether or not a team commits to putting him on their team" three weeks before the draft even happens.  TJD is a wonderful college player, but his lack of game outside 15 ft hasn't worked in the NBA for 15-20  yrs. No team is going to commit an NBA roster spot, before the draft, before trades, before TC to the 14tor 15th man on the roster.

TJD should be, and likely is, listening to his father and a vast array of NBA insiders  they have access to  concerning his potential value, if the consensus is he is a top 35 guy, more power to him, but if some singular scout or FO person tells him, "hey we really want you at #35 when no one else tells him he is on their draft board, he would be wise to not put all his eggs in that basket.

I think it is all moot, because I don't see him being a guy that teams would feel they need to guarantee a spot to, I guess we will find out soon enough.

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, there's not an ironclad rule book. I also don't think it's often where you're seeing guarantees at the like pick 53. It's generally in the first round into the first 5-10 picks of the 2nd round. 

Have teams made a guarantee and then backed out? Sure, it's happened, but for the most part teams stick to it. GM's are playing the long game for the most part. They have relationships to maintain with players and agents, etc.

For example, these players quite often share agents. So while ticking off a player like TJD by guaranteeing him at pick 28 and then not taking him might not seem like a big deal, but what if TJD shares an agent with an upcoming free agent on your team that you want to resign?

What if TJD shares an agent with a couple free agents that you're getting ready to target when free agency opens in the week or two after the draft?

The NBA is a small world and getting a reputation as someone that doesn't negotiate in good faith is not something GM's want. 

Would add to all this, that the teams make those decisions (when they do) to tell a guy they’ll pick him after individual workouts, they’ve done their homework, and are confident he’s a good fit. There are always scenarios where guys fall unexpectedly in the draft and may be there at the spot offered, but the teams don’t make those promises or assurances lightly, if they do it’s brcause they value the player 

43 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Yeah, I was a little too snarky, my apologies. It inadvertently, came off as directed towards you, that was not my intention.

I just disagree strongly with honkeyman that TJD is making a decision by June 1st based "on whether or not a team commits to putting him on their team" three weeks before the draft even happens.  TJD is a wonderful college player, but his lack of game outside 15 ft hasn't worked in the NBA for 15-20  yrs. No team is going to commit an NBA roster spot, before the draft, before trades, before TC to the 14tor 15th man on the roster.

TJD should be, and likely is, listening to his father and a vast array of NBA insiders  they have access to  concerning his potential value, if the consensus is he is a top 35 guy, more power to him, but if some singular scout or FO person tells him, "hey we really want you at #35 when no one else tells him he is on their draft board, he would be wise to not put all his eggs in that basket.

I think it is all moot, because I don't see him being a guy that teams would feel they need to guarantee a spot to, I guess we will find out soon enough.

All good, thanks!

On your point though, that's exactly how it happens. Again, I agree he doesn't have any guarantee now, it's way too early, but if we're approaching the deadline (I think 6/1l and he still hasn't pulled out of the draft then my assumption will be he either has a guarantee or his agent is working the channels to get one. It tells me at least one team he's worked out for is expressing enough interest that he's at least not ready to pull out yet. 

Again, not today or even the next week, but if he's still in as the deadline approaches. 

I think if TJD ultimately stays in the draft then he either has a late 1st round or high 2nd round guarantee or at least enough interest/intel that he's extremely confident he'll go in that range. 

46 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Would add to all this, that the teams make those decisions (when they do) to tell a guy they’ll pick him after individual workouts, they’ve done their homework, and are confident he’s a good fit. There are always scenarios where guys fall unexpectedly in the draft and may be there at the spot offered, but the teams don’t make those promises or assurances lightly, if they do it’s brcause they value the player 

Spot on. Draft guarantees are not given out willy nilly.

I’ve heard from a few people who regularly watch practices that TJD consistently shoots and hits outside shots during scrimmages. There’s no clear consensus on why he didn’t shoot from the outside more in games.

8 minutes ago, tomallenfan1 said:

I’ve heard from a few people who regularly watch practices that TJD consistently shoots and hits outside shots during scrimmages. There’s no clear consensus on why he didn’t shoot from the outside more in games.

I wished he would have because it would have made the team better and his draft stock would be higher 

7 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

He has to make a decision by June 1st which is, obviously, after he gets input during and after the combine. I don’t get why you would strongly disagree that he is going to make a decision based on wether or not a team, or teams, express interest in drafting him in a position (top 35-38 or so?) acceptable to him. Isn’t that the primary reason he is testing the waters? 

Sounds like Ben Simmons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

If TJD has been invited to the NBA draft combine as reported he would be in the top 60 according to NBA teams. My guess is he still returns to IU next season. 

Not sure that’s true. The combine is designed for NBA scouts to see players they’re not sure about, not necessarily the top 60 players.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Not sure that’s true. The combine is designed for NBA scouts to see players they’re not sure about, not necessarily the top 60 players.

Plus, some players who are confident about their draft status will turn down the combine. They will feel there is no need to risk injury.

54 minutes ago, T White said:

some players who are confident about their draft status will turn down the combine.

That's correct. Likely top draft choices (1-5) often don't attend. But there are some questions about almost all the players even some projected lottery picks. Some of the top projected lottery picks attend the NBA combine but don't participate in the scrimmages and other high contact activities. Until the final list is made public nobody will know how many top players are passing on the combine.